• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Luggage storage in cities other than Santiago?

Maria Jo

Time of past OR future Camino
April (2019)
I’m flying into Madrid and planning to start the Frances in SJPdP but I’ve only got about 10 walking days. Hoping to end somewhere around Santo Domingo or slightly further. I would like to have my luggage shipped from Madrid to either Logrono or Burgos (haven’t quite figured this part out yet, but I’m guessing I will have to taxi to one of these cities to catch a train when I am finished walking?) Is there anyone who will accept/store my luggage in one of these cities so that it will be waiting for me when I complete my walk? At this point I really don’t know where I am headed after the Camino, but I will definitely want Rail access to major cities in Spain, France, or Italy. Any info or tips would be helpful, including whether there’s an entirely better way of going about this! Thanks so much!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Maria Jo,
We shipped our stuff via Correos to our hotel. For a small charge they will keep it. If you are ending Burgos you can try that. We shipped our stuff to Madrid to the airport hotel where will leave to fly home.
Janet

As referred to above, the easiest method is to mail your belongings to the hotel you have made a reservation at. The Correos app has a tracking system, so you will know when your item(s) arrive.

Before you send anything to a hotel, ASK them, via email, if they will hold a suitcase, box, etc. that you will send via the Correos. Let them know when you plan to arrive.

As mentioned, there may be a nominal fee, or not. Another very good alternative is to mail the items to Ivar at Santiago. His side business is receiving these items. No items is too large, small, or odd. About the only thing I have not yet seen in his storage area is a shrink-wrapped spouse...

Instructions for sending stuff to Ivar to hold at Santiago are in this forum.

I have done both, to the hotel, and to Ivar. Both work equally well. The only advantage IMHO to sending to the hotel is that the item is there when you arrive. This might be more convenient, especially if you want or need the items on arrival, or you arrive on a Sunday, when Ivar might not be available for retrieval.

Hope this helps.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Correos, the Spanish mail service, will hold a box for you for 14 days. If you need longer, you can purchase a 30-day hold or a 45-day hold. The program is called El Camino con Correos. They have a Facebook page, and you can contact them through Facebook Messenger. They respond within minutes in excellent English. At least they did for me. 😉

I sent a box of clothes, etc., to myself from Burgos to Sarria last spring, to be picked up 30 days later. There was a bit of confusion at the Burgos post office, as no one had any idea what I was talking about. And their English was about as good as my Spanish, which is to say, not very.

Fortunately I had saved the Messenger exchanges and the counter employees called over an extremely helpful man, whose English was fairly good. He sorted it all out. The box, which I purchased in Burgos very a very small fee, was there waiting for me in Sarria.

If you use this service, be sure to save your receipt and any paperwork. You'll need it to pick up the parcel at the other end.

Correos, the Spanish mail service, will hold a box for you for 14 days. If you need longer, you can purchase a 30-day hold or a 45-day hold. The program is called El Camino con Correos. They have a Facebook page, and you can contact them through Facebook Messenger. They respond within minutes in excellent English. At least they did for me. 😉

I sent a box of clothes, etc., to myself from Burgos to Sarria last spring, to be picked up 30 days later. There was a bit of confusion at the Burgos post office, as no one had any idea what I was talking about. And their English was about as good as my Spanish, which is to say, not very.

Fortunately I had saved the Messenger exchanges and the counter employees called over an extremely helpful man, whose English was fairly good. He sorted it all out. The box, which I purchased in Burgos very a very small fee, was there waiting for me in Sarria.

If you use this service, be sure to save your receipt and any paperwork. You'll need it to pick up the parcel at the other end.

Thanks for this info! My problem is that I don’t plan to make it to Santiago on this trip (ie I won’t be near Ivar’s to pick up my bag) and I have no firm hotel plans in Burgos and so being able to pick it up directly at the Curreos sounds perfect. I will cross my fingers that this works out with my limited somewhat limited Spanish communication skills! Again, thank you!!

If the don’t understand just pull up their web site and show it to them at the post office and someone will be familiar with it. I’ve done it twice and my stuff made it where I sent it.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.