• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Luggage storage in Santiago

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am desparate to find out how to transport my suitcase(for an onward journey) from Porto to Santiago at a reasonable price. ? Any suggestions

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I LOVED the postal service, and the luggage storage service in SdC. Put poles, knife, and "tourist afterwards in Madrid" clothes in suitcase and checked, carried on pack (but if trusting could have checked pack inSide larger suitcase). In Barcelona (arrival point) put poles and knife in pack, mailed suitcase to SdC. Also mailed a "care package" ahead to myself c/o general delivery at my first planned "rest day" stop (that's another story entitled 'why I love the Spanish postal service'). As weather warmed (I walked several Caminos from April to July) sent warm clothes via post to storage in SdC. End of journey, collect luggage in SdC, be tourist in Madrid (splurge and take a bed in the night train). Only way to travel.

Oh and my Spanish sucks and besides I was in Barcelona so my Catalan is nonexistent. But the post office personnel (have I mentioned I LOVE them?) helped me navigate the mailing system so be brave--as the hotel or albergue to point you to the post office and off you go. It seems daunting at first (if ones Spanish sucks, as mine did) but it's really the same as mailing stuff in the US (but less surly). After a few trips to the post office along the way, it was easy (although my Spanish still sucked).

As to why I love the post office: I planned a rest day approx every two weeks, in a large city I wanted to explore for more than an hour or two. I mailed ahead a care package of things to 'make my day' (favorite hard to find candy or a small soap or perfume sample, notes friends and family wrote for me, etc) for my luxury night in a hotel, as well as my 'emergency stash' of spare charger cord and socks, and 'refills' of foot ointment, etc. On my rest day I took out a treat, dipped into emergency and refill stock as needed, and sent the shoebox sized package on to the next "rest day" post office (and eventually to storage in SdC). I'd also buy stamps for the next two weeks of post cards, and refill my SIM card. Years later, even walking into a US post office makes me think about how happy I was picking up my "care package," and stamps and 'minutes' needed to reach out to loved ones.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Lovely story. So organised! May I suggest that you post this as a separate thread? Maybe others could have similar success stories.
Thank you for your kind words --I'll try to figure out how and where to do that...I guess misc. :)

Can anyone who has used the Spanish postal service to send some things through to Santiago give a quick rundown of approximate cost for say 5-7kg of belonging?

Any help is much appreciated!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Oh and my Spanish sucks and besides I was in Barcelona so my Catalan is nonexistent. But the post office personnel (have I mentioned I LOVE them?) helped me navigate the mailing system so be brave--as the hotel or albergue to point you to the post office and off you go. It seems daunting at first (if ones Spanish sucks, as mine did) but it's really the same as mailing stuff in the US (but less surly). After a few trips to the post office along the way, it was easy (although my Spanish still sucked).

As to why I love the post office: I planned a rest day approx every two weeks, in a large city I wanted to explore for more than an hour or two. I mailed ahead a care package of things to 'make my day' (favorite hard to find candy or a small soap or perfume sample, notes friends and family wrote for me, etc) for my luxury night in a hotel, as well as my 'emergency stash' of spare charger cord and socks, and 'refills' of foot ointment, etc. On my rest day I took out a treat, dipped into emergency and refill stock as needed, and sent the shoebox sized package on to the next "rest day" post office (and eventually to storage in SdC). I'd also buy stamps for the next two weeks of post cards, and refill my SIM card. Years later, even walking into a US post office makes me think about how happy I was picking up my "care package," and stamps and 'minutes' needed to reach out to loved ones.
I had to bring this thread back up because I love the idea of sending myself a care package along the way. I'm thinking that it would be good to include things that might have worn out, like insoles, my lovely smelling bar soap/shampoo, fresh socks, etc. I know that I could buy these things in Spain, but from experience I know that it's not always so easy to find what you are looking for, especially when you have to shop between siesta hours.

Last edited by a moderator:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I tried the link to Ivar's luggage and got a 404 error message. Is the service still available?

I am starting the Via de la Plata in April and was hoping to send on some gear that I don't need while walking from Sevilla to Santiago. I will probably take 40 days. Thanks!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am working on updating the Luggage Storage site... with new info for 2017. Short version: I am open for the 2017 season and things will be pretty much the same as last year. I am getting a lot of questions by email that I answer one by one, I am thinking of opening a section on the forum so that questions can be asked there... more on this later.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.