• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Luggage Storage While Walking Camino

benita

Time of past OR future Camino
Hello everyone! This is my first post here on the forum. What a great resource this has been. I have gained so much knowledge over the past months of reading in preparation for my first camino. I am truly grateful!!

As our start date nears, I am wondering if anyone has suggestions on storing access luggage. Since we will be doing a bit of traveling before and after the camino we need to store our suitcases while walking the camino frances. I have come across this one link https://www.caminodesantiago.me/luggage-storage-in-santiago-de-compostela/

Has anyone used his services? We would likely mail our luggage to this location from SJPP but wanted to get others thoughts.

Thank you in advance for any advice you can provide.

Best,
Benita

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Actually, the luggage storage service you linked is operated by Ivar...who runs this forum!
I use this service on every Camino and it is flawless. A simple foolproof way to forward after-Camino luggage to Santiago.
A suggestion would be to mail it from your initial point in Spain to avoid higher international fees.
If you do post internationally be very sure to fill out the proper custom form and indicate that it is used personal travel clothing.
As always, don't send anything of value through the postal services.
I personally highly recommend Ivar's service.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Actually, the luggage storage service you linked is operated by Ivar...who runs this forum!
I use this service on every Camino and it is flawless. A simple foolproof way to forward after-Camino luggage to Santiago.
A suggestion would be to mail it from your initial point in Spain to avoid higher international fees.
If you do post internationally be very sure to fill out the proper custom form and indicate that it is used personal travel clothing.

I had initially wanted to mail our suitcases from SJPP as we are starting our walk from there. The shipping may be higher however if we were to mail them from within Spain, do you have any idea how far we would have to travel before getting to the next post office after SJPP? I am assuming we will have to have our suitcases carried ahead through another service. Any thoughts regarding this? Thank you!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Pamploma, Spain would be the next post office for mailing your package.
... which means you would have to pull along your suitcases across the Pyrennees,.... so better to get rid of them at SJPP.
Why do you think the shipping will be higher if you mail them from within Spain ? I would have thought the opposite.

Barbara, SJPP is in France, hence the high cost of posting to Santiago

Davey

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Barbara, SJPP is in France, hence the high cost of posting to Santiago
Davey

Davey, I agree with what you say, but I had understood the opposite from Benita who said "...The shipping may be higher however if we were to mail them from within Spain,.."

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I would, like mspath says, use a luggagetransport to Pamplona. Two of my packets sent from France dissappeared.
One of them sendt to the postoffice in SdC showed up in Norway two years later, the other which I sent to Norway never came.
I put a bag in at Ivars last year in August. When I picked up after my camino Portoguese his storeroom was full of packets so a lot of people trust him:)

Im getting ready to do the Portuguese Camino and looking for a transport of luggage from Lisbon to Santiago, any suggestions?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
All the recommendations for luggage transfer is for Spain, I'm looking for something in Portugal.

I want to do what you mentioned, is the correos in Barajas Terminal 1 after customs? so I could check my extra box, then send to Ivar.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Have a look at the Terminal 1 map of Barajas..it shows the location of the correos.

I have done this, but not sure of exact location. Easy to find and good service.

We would like to use Ivar's service but don't want to mail our suitcases from France. We will be in Biarritz for a few days before. So it seems to make sense for us to drive into Irun (or San Sebastian) and mail them from there just before we head to SJPDP? Has anyone done this before?

Also - does anyone know if there is a courier service in Irun that we could use if we decide not to use the regular postal service?

Finally, can we have our bags insured during shipment with either the postal service or a courier? (I realize they won't be insured at Ivar's once they arrive).

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi,

This is my 1st post and I am doing my 1st Camino April-May 2016 starting SJPDP. Very excited !

What is the latest advice re sending all the way to Santiago via Express Bouricot for 70€ including storage. Have there been any bad experiences with this ?

Or using one courier to Pamplona before mailing to Santiago and storing with Ivan ? Cost of this second option ? (which seems more of a hassle but may be good if you want to add items from your pack after 1st leg of the walk).

Thanks so much,
Katie

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.