• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Luggage storage

Mysticl

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances May (2015) - pending
Hi again,

I was wondering about the luggage storage service Ivar provides in Santiago. I am aware that you can buy boxes at the post office to fill and send them to him and I know the address, prices and such for those BUT ... we are planning to check one bag when we fly, to carry our poles and any other items not allowed in the plane cabin and we were planning to abandon it when we arrived in France but now I am rethinking that and I was wondering if he has room for a suitcase instead of a box and if the answer is yes, are there any size restrictions on the case. I imagine boxes are easier to store and I don't know what facilities are available .... plus I suspect space could be limited so I wanted to ask first just to be on the safe side. I ask because we are planning to tour about a bit prior to walking and possibly after as well, so we will have a few more things with us than we want to take on the Camino and keeping the case would be very handy for after ... thx for any insight ... knowing ahead of time will impact my final pack list considerably ;)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If I recall correctly - when I went to pick up my small package from Ivar - I saw many boxes/packages of various sizes, and some very large suitcases. Ivar is very accommodating, and he will email you to let you know when your package arrives.

Yep, I did see suitcases amongst the stack of boxes/luggage at Travesia da Universidade 1. Please contact Ivar for more information.:)

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm quite sure he can accommodate and any issue will be at the despatch point. If going from SJPdP try Caroline at Burricot Express. Also PM Ivar to get a costing for the size of case you have.

Suitcase is no problem for Ivar. I have sent several times.
The suitcase should be locked and well taped or wrapped before mailing so as to prevent problems in transit. I usually buy a roll of plastic wrapping tape and do a job on it before going to the Post Office. Others have reported that some Post Offices (Correos) have a plastic wrapping service...but I have not seen it.
It is best to mail from within Spain to avoid higher rates from France, etc.
PM Ivar if you have concerns or questions.

Thank you all. That is a bit of a relief. I'll contact Ivar when I have a better idea of how much I have that will need to be stored. Wonderful news :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
A good method to get @ivar , or anybody else for that matter, to notice a thread is to 'mention' them by typing @+their forum name. As soon as you start to type that a little pop-up window appears with possible forum names you might mean. Click on the one you want and @+forum name turns blue in your final posting/preview, showing that it has worked and the person you mentioned in your post gets an alert that they have been mentioned. SY

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back