• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Luggage to Ivar from St. Jean ??

grayland

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Yes
I need to post an "after Camino" suitcase on to Ivar in Santiago. I arrive in Paris and will drag it along to SJPdP. The suitcase is needed as we are (as usual) doing a bit of after Camino traveling.
This is about 13 January so the level of service will be curtailed.

I usually send a small suitcase on to Ivar..but for the past few years have arrived in Spain and stayed away from the CF.

The problem is getting the suitcase to a Spanish post office to get a reasonable fee and Ivar usually tells us to post from within Spain to avoid problems for him.

So...I have no experience with the transport services and don't really know how they work.
Will one be open in January?
My question is where I would have it forwarded ( if that is possible).
Where is the nearest Spanish post office that may be open?

I guess I can carry it to Roncevalles, if necessary. It would get a few laughs if anyone else is walking from St. Jean that day.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The post office in Pamplona was where we posted stuff home in 2012. I don't know if there are any big ones before that. There is a list of post offices on the CF somewhere on the forum but I haven't found it yet. It was posted a few years ago. I will keep looking.
You may have to use baggage transfer as far as Pamplona unless someone else comes up with other info.

PS Just found this. Hope it helps.
http://www.correos.es/ss/Satellite/site/pagina-localizador_oficinas/sidioma=es_ES

Grayland,

Express Bourricot can transfer your luggage from SJPdP to Santiago. See more here on their web.

Furthermore the new Spanish post office baggage transfer is both efficient and inexpensive. Most albergues have their envelopes which provide instructions in both Spanish and English. After my recent fall I used them in desperation between Najera and Santo Domingo; the backpack arrived in far better shape than I!!

Goodluck and Buen camino!
MM

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Grayland,

Express Bourricot can transfer your luggage from SJPdP to Santiago. See more here on their web.

Furthermore the new Spanish post office baggage transfer is both efficient and inexpensive. Most albergues have their envelopes which provide instructions in both Spanish and English. After my recent fall I used them in desperation between Najera and Santo Domingo; the backpack arrived in far better shape than I!!

MM

Thanks, Margaret.
I am pretty familiar with the services from Correos and have used them many times to ship to Santiago after arriving in Spain.

However...getting it to a Spanish Post Office from St. Jean is where I am confused.
I know nothing about the transfer services and was happy to check out the link to Express Bourricot you provided.
I think the simple way (no further handling needed) would be to have them take it to Santiago and hold it. Not cheap but probably no more than a more complicated scheme.

I was beginning to think carrying a suitcase, plus my normal full pack, over the pass to Roncesvalles might be an interesting adventure....especially in mid-January. :cool:

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Grayland,

MM

Thanks, MM, I had no idea about the Express Bourricot service. Though 70 euros is not a trifle, it doesn't seem to be an outrageous price for the transport and storage of a bag for more than a month.

The problem is getting the suitcase to a Spanish post office to get a reasonable fee and Ivar usually tells us to post from within Spain to avoid problems for him.
Sending things (suitcases/boxes) to me from inside the EU (France for example) is not a problem. No customs to worry about. Just make sure to label the parcel well . One problems with the french postal service is that the address label they stick to your parcel sometimes falls off, especially if your are mailing a suitcase. I am recommending that people sending suitcases from France that they print out my address on a piece of paper, then wrap some plastic wrap (kitchen wrap) around the suitcase where the address label is... then the french post office will stick their label on top of that plastic. If this last label falls off, you have the other address label under the plastic.

One of the things that I have on my "to-do-list" for the christmas break is to re-do the page that describes the luggage storage. I know I need to explain the service better... Visiting here:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/luggage-storage-in-santiago-de-compostela/
..will re-direct you to the new page once this is up.

Oh... and by the way, since this will be an international shipment, I think the shipping price will be the same if you send it from Paris or SJPP...

Thanks!
Ivar

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks for the update, Ivar.

Somehow I had in my mind that customs would be involved..forgot about EU.
I remembered your cautions about problems with customs with shipments from outside Spain (and EU)

I have always shipped to you from Spain in the past....sometimes from the Post Office in the Madrid airport.

Ivar's service is outstanding for anyone who wants to send after-Camino clothes or excess items on to Santiago. Check out his link above ^^

Back