• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Luggage Tranfers

Mack

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2017 Sarria to Santiago de Compostela
I'm having to take a suitcase when I do my camino in May this year. I have no alternative.

I'm aware of Jacotrans and Correos but my question is: How do I access them? I'm starting in SJPdP so do I get an envelope from the place I'm staying, fill it in with my next destination and place the money in the envelope - and that is sufficient?

If so do I need to contact them each day to pick up and deliver to the next place or do they automatically come the next morning and pick up and deliver as per envelope?

I will probably not have a phone so how do I contact them? Is email sufficient and do I need to do it each day?

I'm aware I can book them for the total journey if I know where I'll be in advance.

Is it 5 euros per pick-up?

Any advice much appreciated.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Thanks for your advice but I can't do that as I need what's in it each night. It's too heavy and bulky to carry in a pack, hence my question.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
From my experience last summer, I used transport for my pack about half the time. The price range was between 5-8 euros depending on which part of Spain I was in. The service company changes, as well, as you travel across the regions!! The envelope you get each day at your alburgue has the phone number on it. In teeny private alburgues or hostels, you have to call (there must be an online option). In large municipal alburgues, they just have a drop off spot in the mornings and the transport services just automatically stop there. Your suitcase MUST be placed out in the mornings on time. It can be a bit of a hassle, but it works. Cash or coin, and most of the time you get change but not always. If it were me doing it again, I would learn how to somewhat fluently request help and direction from the hospitalier, your host. Then, they could and would call for you under these special circumstances (no phone).
Two times my bag was not delivered to where I was staying (panic), but both times, a simple phone call and the transport service could tell me where they HAD left it. Whew.
Not to scare you at all, because it is an amazing option, but it is a bit of work each day.
Shelli, Camino Frances May 2018.

I'm having to take a suitcase when I do my camino in May this year. I have no alternative.

I'm aware of Jacotrans and Correos but my question is: How do I access them? I'm starting in SJPdP so do I get an envelope from the place I'm staying, fill it in with my next destination and place the money in the envelope - and that is sufficient?

If so do I need to contact them each day to pick up and deliver to the next place or do they automatically come the next morning and pick up and deliver as per envelope?

I will probably not have a phone so how do I contact them? Is email sufficient and do I need to do it each day?

I'm aware I can book them for the total journey if I know where I'll be in advance.

Jacotrans does not operate in France, only in Spain.
So you can use Express Bourricot for the first bit to Roncesvalles.
Their office is a couple of doors down from the Pilgrims Office.

Where ever you are staying they should have the 'envelopes' from all the transport companies and can explain what to do.
You'll probably find your host is happy to make the booking for you, or they may say no problem, they are coming here tomorrow anyway..........

Just be aware, that 'someone' needs to make the booking each night.

Take a picture of the Tag each day as the services are different depending on location. Ensure you capture the phone number. Make sure you have the correct name and address of the next Albergue

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We were told by Jaco that they always check the places they drop off the next morning. But also everyplace we stayed had envelopes and someone to help or call if necessary.

I suggest Express Bourricot to Roncesvalles and Correos (Spanish post office, very efficient, website in English) after that.

I too am using luggage transport in May. I contacted Caminofacile and was very impressed with their prompt response and thoroughness. Very professional. It costs 5 Euros per day.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Just be aware that some of the municipal Albergues may not accept delivery of your bag. First time we sent a pack was to the Municipal in Navarette (2018), but they refused to accept it, so the transport company left it at a local café. Unfortunately the Municipal staff told us the wrong café so a worrisome couple of hours until we located it. After that opted to stay in private Albergues so no luggage transfer problems until Monte de Gozo Albergue. Same thing happened again, and the pack was left 500m in a café back up the hill. I would always phone the night before and book the pick up and delivery location but they never advised me that the albergue wouldn’t take delivery.
Even though the transport companies provide a great service, I much preferred my first Camino when I was able to carry my full pack. Booking Albergues and luggage transfers made the second Camino more structured which I didn’t really like plus we missed out on experiencing some great municipal Albergues along the way.
If I ever make it back to Spain, I hope I’m able to carry my pack again.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back