• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Luggage transfer during Jan/Feb (French Way)

rtcunha

Time of past OR future Camino
French Way starting in late Jan-23
Hi all and happy new year!

I'm struggling to find an answer to my question(s) as it seems that information about doing the French Way in Jan/Feb of 2023 (i.e. Winter season).

Context:
- I live in Australia and I'm planning to start El Camino from Saint Jean Pied de Port on the 23rd of Jan, 2023;
- As I'll be traveling to Brazil after finishing the peregrination, I'll have a second bag that I would like to dispatch to Santiago to wait in storage
- I'm fine to carry my backpack all the way (if services are not available), just need to sort this second bag

Questions:
- Most of the services that have online information seem to not be operating before March (i.e. low season). Is this real or are just the online operations that are not available? Are there luggage services that operate normally off-season?
- My other option is to fly to Santiago, find storage there, and then go to St Jean Pied de Port - but this seems to be a challenge too as it would take 2 or 3 days just to arrive there (currently considering train to Pamplona then bus to SJPDP). Seems like that transport from Pamplona to SJPDP is quite limited off-season too - is this true?

Any ideas from people that did the French Way during the Winter season and had to deal with luggage to help me with my crux here?

Also, I understand the challenges of doing it during the winter, but this is the only time that I'll be able to, so I'll need to adapt and deal with the adversities.

Thank you all and any support is appreciated!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Send your suitcase to Santiago at the post office in Pamplona. Pick it up when you arrive:
Or send your suitcase to Ivar in Santiago.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Send your suitcase to Santiago at the post office in Pamplona. Pick it up when you arrive:
Or send your suitcase to Ivar in Santiago.
LynnT, do you know a service from SJPDP that will transfer my luggage to Pamplona that is available in Jan?

Contact Jacotrans transfer your baggage until you arrive in Pamplona. I entered in a late January date on the website, and a pop-up window stated "From November 1 to February 28, reservations will have to be made through the email info@jacotrans.es"

@truenorthpilgrim unfortunately they are not available. I messaged them and they can provide quotes from Feb and services from March - so couldn't find anything so far for Jan.

I'm losing hope that I'll find a luggage transfer service in Jan, I think that my only option will be to fly to Santiago, leave it in storage there and then travel to SJPDP.

Thank you for your suggestion, thou.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@truenorthpilgrim unfortunately they are not available. I messaged them and they can provide quotes from Feb and services from March - so couldn't find anything so far for Jan.

I'm losing hope that I'll find a luggage transfer service in Jan, I think that my only option will be to fly to Santiago, leave it in storage there and then travel to SJPDP.

Where is your first stop in Europe? If you will be anywhere in Spain before traveling to SJPdP you can mail your suitcase via Correos. I have mailed a small suitcase within Spain with Correos and had no issues. Have you thought of starting your Camino in Pamplona?
You could also try mailing to Casa Ivar from SJPdP. Here's a thread with information: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-suitcase-how-do-i-ship-it-to-santiago.45855/

Where is your first stop in Europe? If you will be anywhere in Spain before traveling to SJPdP you can mail your suitcase via Correos. I have mailed a small suitcase within Spain with Correos and had no issues. Have you thought of starting your Camino in Pamplona?
You could also try mailing from SJPdP.

@trecile I'm trying to define my start based on this. I haven't considered the idea of landing in Pamplona, sending the luggage, and then traveling to SJPdP. It's a good idea, thank you!

The option of sending from SJPdP directly would be the perfect option (so I could fly directly there), but I couldn't find any service that would offer this service in Jan (off-season). Are you aware of any?

Thank you for the idea, might be a good one to consider.

The option of sending from SJPdP directly would be the perfect option (so I could fly directly there), but I couldn't find any service that would offer this service in Jan (off-season). Are you aware of any?
No, you can't fly to SJPdP.
Have you not purchased your plane tickets yet?

If not, fly to Madrid, train or bus to Pamplona, then taxi to SJPdP. While in either Madrid or Pamplona mail your suitcase - but make sure that you are there on a weekday, not a weekend! You can mail a suitcase to either Casa Ivar, or have it held at the main post office in Santiago. If you are having the luggage held at the post office you need to make sure to let them know how long you need luggage storage, and pre-pay for that.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

I plan on hanging out in the EU after my camino and had a similar issue when planning my logistics. On my previous caminos, I've always flown into Paris, then taken a train to Bayonne and departed from SJPdP. This time I decided to bend a little and depart from Roncesvalles, in large part due the luggage conundrum; I just don't want to hassle with multiple transfers of my luggage. I've started from SJPdP twice, so I don't feel as if I'm missing out on an experience.

I'm planning on flying into Madrid or Barcelona and hanging out a few days to shake off jet lag and ship my suitcase to Casa Ivar. I'll hop on the train to Pamplona, then bus to Roncesvalles et voila. Perhaps you could take a taxi from Pamplona to SJPdP?

Buen Camino.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
No, you can't fly to SJPdP.
Have you not purchased your plane tickets yet?

If not, fly to Madrid, train or bus to Pamplona, then taxi to SJPdP. While in either Madrid or Pamplona mail your suitcase - but make sure that you are there on a weekday, not a weekend! You can mail a suitcase to either Casa Ivar, or have it held at the main post office in Santiago. If you are having the luggage held at the post office you need to make sure to let them know how long you need luggage storage, and pre-pay for that.

I haven't purchased the tickets exactly because of the luggage question, but I'm doing that today/tomorrow.

I think that the best option will be as you suggested:

• fly to Pamplona and make sure that I'm there on a weekday
  • send the bags to Casa Ivar (as it'll give me more flexibility on dates) via correos.es Pilgrim Paq service
  • get a taxi from Pamplona to SJPdP and start the walk from there

Appreciate everyone's suggestions and feedback, it really helped me to find an option and decide with confidence!

Thank you!

Hi, I've had similar issues where I've flown into the E.U from Australia with the intention of staying on long after the Camino walk I'm doing has finished.
My baggage solution, while not ideal, it at least works.
I will fly into a major city, Madrid works for the Camino Frances, leave my second bag there, I've used Nannybag a few times, make your way to St Jean, walk to Santiago and catch the train back to Madrid.

Hi, I transferred a small suitcase from SJPP to Santiago in winter. I started a thread in this forum containing all the information for future pilgrims trying to do the same thing.
Do a forum search for
“Suitcase Transportation and Storage from SJPP to Santiago - Winter Caminos”
and you should find it and all the information there.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I will fly into a major city, Madrid works for the Camino Frances, leave my second bag there, I've used Nannybag a few times, make your way to St Jean, walk to Santiago and catch the train back to Madrid.
You can also try to find a hotel in Madrid that will store your luggage.
Hi, I transferred a small suitcase from SJPP to Santiago in winter. I started a thread in this forum containing all the information for future pilgrims trying to do the same thing.
Do a forum search for
Here's the thread

Do a forum search for

Thank you @Sam - AU !

I just saw your post, for some reason the search query that I used didn't retrieve it on my search!

Your option 1 is what I am doing now, tickets booked, I'll arrive in Pamplona on the 20th of Jan (Friday), send the bags to Casa Ivar, and go to SJPdP from there (weather dependent).

Your option 2 is not available this year. I contacted them and they will not be operating until March, unfortunately. That would save me a potentially expensive taxi from Pamplona to SJPdP...

Ask Ivar! Some people have suggested sending on things to him.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.