• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Luggage Transfer Irun to Santiago

BillieS

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte (2018)
Hi everyone,

I am starting to plan our Camino and am really interested in the Norte route. My partner and I will be coming over from Australia in May 2018 and the Camino will be the start of a year of travel through Europe. We'll be travelling with two packs full of gear for the year away, and hoping to send them from Irun to Santiago where they can be stored, while we walk with our backpacks.

Does anyone have recommendations of companies that will post our packs from Irun to Santiago? I have read quite a bit about Ivar storing the packs in Santiago so that bit seems OK, now just working out how to get them there!

I guess another option would be having the packs transported from Madrid/Barcelona depending on where we fly into from Australia, and then getting a flight into Irun to start the Camino?

Any advice or recommendations welcome!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks so much mspath, that look to be exactly what I need and pretty decent prices too! Have you used them in the past?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Only once in more than 10 years/450 nights on the CF
late October 2015 after falling I used the Correos transport for my pack from Najera to Santo Domingo de La Calzada. The cost was 4 euros and the service was great. You can book via your smartphone/ text message. See more athttp://www.elcaminoconcorreos.es/ ...Too bad that they could not carry me along with the pack!

Coming from that direction, I agree with my colleagues above, and endorse the Correos system. Simply go to the nearest post office / Correos at Irun and ask for the "Peregrino Pak." This is a large yellow sack that they place your bag in to ship it to Santiago.

Here is the page from the Correos site, in English (I hope):

http://www.elcaminoconcorreos.com/en/envio-maletas.php

If I recall correctly, they ship the bag to the main Santiago post office on Rua Franco, about 5 minutes from the Cathedral. They hold it for free for 15 days. After that, it costs one € per day (if I recall correctly). Check the web site out.

Hope this helps.

Hi, I am curious to know what you will be posting to Santiago that you don’t need for 5 or 6 weeks while walking the Norte. If it’s just clothes and a nice pair of shoes, you can buy them in Santiago. You say you will be travelling in Europe afterwards; travel light!
Jill

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi, I am curious to know what you will be posting to Santiago that you don’t need for 5 or 6 weeks while walking the Norte. If it’s just clothes and a nice pair of shoes, you can buy them in Santiago. You say you will be travelling in Europe afterwards; travel light!
Jill
For my first Camino I left a suitcase with pre and post Camino clothes, shoes, hairdryer, etc. in Madrid. Last year I had my bag sent to Santiago, so that I didn't have to return to mad right away to get my post Camino things. However, I didn't use Correos. I used the Express Bourricot service from St Jean Pied de Port. know that I wouldn't want to spend my time in Santiago shopping for clothes.

I am planning to start the Camino del Norte in August and I am using Express Bourricot to transfer my bikebox from Biarritz Airport to Santiago...and my bikebox will be filled with the extra clothes and other items that I am not taking on my Camino...the main difference with Express Bourricot is your shipped items are stored at Hostal/Albergue LaSalle and are available for pickup 24/7...so last time I checked into a private room, took a shower, and went down to retrieve my bikebox.

I am planning to start the Camino del Norte in August and I am using Express Bourricot to transfer my bikebox from Biarritz Airport to Santiago...and my bikebox will be filled with the extra clothes and other items that I am not taking on my Camino...the main difference with Express Bourricot is your shipped items are stored at Hostal/Albergue LaSalle and are available for pickup 24/7...so last time I checked into a private room, took a shower, and went down to retrieve my bikebox.
And you also get a discount on your room at Hostal LaSalle when you use the service!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi everyone,

I am starting to plan our Camino and am really interested in the Norte route. My partner and I will be coming over from Australia in May 2018 and the Camino will be the start of a year of travel through Europe. We'll be travelling with two packs full of gear for the year away, and hoping to send them from Irun to Santiago where they can be stored, while we walk with our backpacks.

Does anyone have recommendations of companies that will post our packs from Irun to Santiago? I have read quite a bit about Ivar storing the packs in Santiago so that bit seems OK, now just working out how to get them there!

I guess another option would be having the packs transported from Madrid/Barcelona depending on where we fly into from Australia, and then getting a flight into Irun to start the Camino?

Hello, you can inform on the site fiets-vervoer.nl. It’s a company specialités in transferring bicycles and lugage. If you ring or send an e-mail, they sure will answer you. Good luck!!
Jan

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.