• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Luggage Transfer to Burgos

Amused212

Time of past OR future Camino
2019 CF, 2022 CF, 2022 Finisterre-Muxia
I thought I asked this question (am new, still learning how to use this forum) but don't see it anywhere so am asking again. Sorry if it is a repeat. I see plenty of information about transferring bags from St. Jean to Santiago and lots of info about daily transfers. We are section hiking the Camino (limited vacation time) and want to send a suitcase from SJPP to Burgos (our last stop for this year). We won't need the suitcase in between. Need it at the end as it will have clean clothes for our return home and we can put our trekking poles in it for checked luggage on the plane.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
When I walked the Camino the second time I used Poste Restante. Here is the info from wikipedia. I put my back pack in a duffle bag and shipped that bag with some clean clothes to Santiago. The issues are you must find a post office to mail it from (i shipped it from Pamplona and already knew from my first Camino where the post office was) and it will also have to arrive on a day when the post office is open for you to collect it which probably eliminate weekends and you should check for local holidays too. I bought a brown paper grocery bag and packing tape and a mailing label with me to expedite things in Spain. You may also want to try contacting a hotel in Burgos if you are staying there and sending it to them which would eliminate having to collect it at the end from another location.

Mail can also be received at Spanish Post Offices. [22] There is normally no charge for the service. Poste Restante letters should be addressed Lista de Correos, followed by the address of the post office (including the post code, town and province). Put your surname in capitals. An example Lista de Correos address is:
John SMITHLista de CorreosPl. Rosa dels Vents 946730 GandiaValenciaSpain
To find the address of the Correos nearest to you check at www.correos.es. Click on the Oficinas link for the Localizador de Oficinas.
When collecting mail from the post office you will need to show some form of identification such as a passport or photo driving licence. Specify that you are collecting a Lista de Correos item as these are stored separately from the other stored mail. The Lista de Correos mail is filed alphabetically and it may be worth asking them to check if an expected package was filed under your first name if they cannot find it under your surname. Post offices vary in how long they will hold your mail.
When addressing mail for Spain, always ensure there is a return address on the parcel or packet.

If you’re going to be in Spain before you head to SJPDP, there’s an easy solution. You can mail a suitcase or a pack or anything you want from one post office to another with Correos, the Spanish postal service, which is set up to deal with Pilgrims’ needs on the Caminos. Correos will hold your bag for you for up to 75 days. The first 14 days are free; there’s a very nominal charge thereafter. Here’s the link, in English. https://www.elcaminoconcorreos.com/en/transfer-luggage.

A good friend of mine on the Camino just used them to mail a suitcase, also to Burgos, and she reported it worked out very easily.

If you’re not going to be in Spain before going to SJPDP, the easiest thing to do is to ship your suitcase or bag one stage ahead, to Roncesvalles, with one of the stage to stage services, like Jacotrans, and then once you get to Roncesvalles (in Spain), you use Correos to send your package on to Burgos.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you for the information. I have sent an email to Correos and hope we can work out all the details.

When I walked the Camino the second time I used Poste Restante. Here is the info from wikipedia. I put my back pack in a duffle bag and shipped that bag with some clean clothes to Santiago. The issues are you must find a post office to mail it from (i shipped it from Pamplona and already knew from my first Camino where the post office was) and it will also have to arrive on a day when the post office is open for you to collect it which probably eliminate weekends and you should check for local holidays too. I bought a brown paper grocery bag and packing tape and a mailing label with me to expedite things in Spain. You may also want to try contacting a hotel in Burgos if you are staying there and sending it to them which would eliminate having to collect it at the end from another location.

Mail can also be received at Spanish Post Offices. [22] There is normally no charge for the service. Poste Restante letters should be addressed Lista de Correos, followed by the address of the post office (including the post code, town and province). Put your surname in capitals. An example Lista de Correos address is:
John SMITHLista de CorreosPl. Rosa dels Vents 946730 GandiaValenciaSpain
To find the address of the Correos nearest to you check at www.correos.es. Click on the Oficinas link for the Localizador de Oficinas.
When collecting mail from the post office you will need to show some form of identification such as a passport or photo driving licence. Specify that you are collecting a Lista de Correos item as these are stored separately from the other stored mail. The Lista de Correos mail is filed alphabetically and it may be worth asking them to check if an expected package was filed under your first name if they cannot find it under your surname. Post offices vary in how long they will hold your mail.
When addressing mail for Spain, always ensure there is a return address on the parcel or packet.

Am narrowing in on this. 1) I have a service transfer the bag to Roncevalles since there is no Correos office in SJPP. 2) Correos reponded to my inquiring saying once the bag is in Spain (Roncevalles) I should mail it to the Correos in Burgos (found an office near the cathedral). BUT. The nearest Correos to Roncevalles is in Burguete - 4.6 km away. How do I get it from Roncevalles to Burguete?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Am narrowing in on this. 1) I have a service transfer the bag to Roncevalles since there is no Correos office in SJPP. 2) Correos reponded to my inquiring saying once the bag is in Spain (Roncevalles) I should mail it to the Correos in Burgos (found an office near the cathedral). BUT. The nearest Correos to Roncevalles is in Burguete - 4.6 km away. How do I get it from Roncevalles to Burguete?
Easiest thing is probably to just send your bag stage to stage until you reach a town with a Correos. In the worst case scenario, you’d have to ship it stage to stage to Pamplona (a big city), which is 2 stages beyond Roncesvalles.

Or, of course, you could just taxi from Roncesvalles to Burguete to the Correos there.

Easiest thing is probably to just send your bag stage to stage until you reach a town with a Correos. In the worst case scenario, you’d have to ship it stage to stage to Pamplona (a big city), which is 2 stages beyond Roncesvalles.

Or, of course, you could just taxi from Roncesvalles to Burguete to the Correos there.
Thanks. I think the best route, as you suggested, is a bag transfer from SJPP to Roncevalles, Roncevalles to Zubiri, and Zubiri to Pampalona where there is a Correos office that can ship it to Burgos. That's only three transfers but it is a commitment to be at those places and at specific lodging - takes away the flexibility for those 3 stages.

Thanks. I think the best route, as you suggested, is a bag transfer from SJPP to Roncevalles, Roncevalles to Zubiri, and Zubiri to Pampalona where there is a Correos office that can ship it to Burgos. That's only three transfers but it is a commitment to be at those places and at specific lodging - takes away the flexibility for those 3 stages.

You can make this easy on yourself. From St. Jean, Express Bourricot can ship your bag directly to Burguete, Check out their website. https://www.expressbourricot.com/luggage-transport/
Add all the heavy stuff from your backpack to the bag you’re shipping, and then you’ll have an easy walk from St. Jean. Without anything in your backpack, it won’t be that hard to go the additional 2.5 k down the Camino from Roncesvalles to Burguete, where you can spend the night, and from which you can ship your valise onward to Burgos.

Or of course, if you want to spend the first night in Roncesvalles, just taxi to Burguete with your valise, and either go back to St. Jean or just continue from Burguete. No one will tell on you because you took a taxi for 2.5 k.

Either way, you don’t have to keep shipping your bag ahead and you’ll have the freedom you seem to want. And the cost of not having to ship the bag 2 more days should be equal to the cost of the short taxi ride.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You can make this easy on yourself. From St. Jean, Express Bourricot can ship your bag directly to Burguete, Check out their website. https://www.expressbourricot.com/luggage-transport/
Add all the heavy stuff from your backpack to the bag you’re shipping, and then you’ll have an easy walk from St. Jean. Without anything in your backpack, it won’t be that hard to go the additional 2.5 k down the Camino from Roncesvalles to Burguete, where you can spend the night, and from which you can ship your valise onward to Burgos.

Or of course, if you want to spend the first night in Roncesvalles, just taxi to Burguete with your valise, and either go back to St. Jean or just continue from Burguete. No one will tell on you because you took a taxi for 2.5 k.

Either way, you don’t have to keep shipping your bag ahead and you’ll have the freedom you seem to want. And the cost of not having to ship the bag 2 more days should be equal to the cost of the short taxi ride.

Most read last week in this forum

Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back