• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Luggage transfer to SJPP

mtotte

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (8/4-2020)
Hello everyone,

This is my first post, so please bear with me if the question has been posted several times before.

I will be walking my first Camino starting in SJPP in April 2020, and is curious about possibilities of having luggage transferred to SJPP. I will be traveling from Denmark, hence I will switch plane several times, and will not risk standing without my bag with I arrive in Biarritz.

Do you know any companies who offer this kind of transportation or should I just send it as a package?

Secondly, where would it be possible to have the bag stored until I arrive?

Best regards

Morten

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Ditto what SYates says.

If you are within the Schenzen zone and your package doesn't need to go through customs, you could book a hostal in SJPDP and mail it to yourself there. Of course you run the risk that your package doesn't arrive in time. Then you would be in greater trouble as nobody would be duty bound to get it to you.

I met a Dutch lady on the camino who was three days without her bag, but walked anyway, and the bag eventually was delivered to her. Travel in your walking footwear!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My considered advice is to wear a full hiking days clothing on board, including your hiking shoes ' boots, and:
  1. carry-on everything you absolutely need to start your Camino as SYates suggests;
  2. pay to check a bag of your sharps stuff (poles, knives utensils) and liquids, as well as stuff you will want at Santiago, but will not carry while walking; and,
  3. at SJPdP, go to Express Bourricot, Rue de la Citadelle #37 and arrange to have your bag with all the stuff you will not hike with ahead to Santiago. It is not cheap, but it is the single best way to securely get anything excess to Camino needs from France into Spain. Using the French la Poste into Spain would cost nearly as much and is more tenuous / iffy.
This ensures you have everything you need to start a Camino, gets your 'dangerous' items to you, and moves everything excess to needs ahead to your destination to be held securely for your arrival. I have done this several times. It works like a charm.

Yes, it will cost you some Euros. But, when you consider the cost of your entire Camino journey, all facets and related expenses, this is not an unreasonable amount.

Hope this helps.

We are also doing our first one at the end of April, We have a couple flights and only 40min change over i don't think this is long enough for our bags to be moved to the next plane we are thinking of just checking in our sharps poles etc and taking our bags on this is a bit stressful. no help to you but i thought id let you know your not alone 😨

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you for all your answers - much appreciated.

I have chosen to really limit my luggage so I'm able to fit everything in my carry on, and eliminate the risk of standing without my bag in Biarritz.

This means I have to buy a new knife / multitool on the Camino, but I think it is doable. :)

Thank you for all your answers - much appreciated.

I have chosen to really limit my luggage so I'm able to fit everything in my carry on, and eliminate the risk of standing without my bag in Biarritz.

This means I have to buy a new knife / multitool on the Camino, but I think it is doable. :)

There is a nice hardware store in SJPP. I buy a new knife there every year!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back