• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

luggage transfer

easkey

Time of past OR future Camino
Ingles (2016)
Hi, can I get my pack transferred from town to town on Camino Ingles? I only want to carry water and day sack. Thanks!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi, can I get my pack transferred from town to town on Camino Ingles? I only want to carry water and day sack. Thanks!

Yes you can get your luggage transfered on the Camino Ingles using the Spanish Correos service. See more here on their English language web.

Good luck and Buen camino!

Thank you, that's really helpful! I am walking with my sister and her husband next week, leaving Ferrol Saturday 30th. It will be hot! Is anyone else walking the CI then? Look for 3 hot tired but happy peeps in their 50s and come say hi .

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi, I just took a group on the Ingles a few weeks back and the majority made use of the luggage transfer by Correos. You can either send them your schedule up front or just pick up an envelope at your accommodation and write your destination in each day. Cost is €4 per stage for transport all the way to Santiago or €5 per day if picking and choosing stages. The service was perfect and the guys always had their bags delivered by the time of arrival in each town. Not sure the rules regarding drop off at Albergues though. As we were a fairly large group and some were not carrying packs I arranged hotel/pension accommodation for each night.

Have you downloaded Johnnie Walker's guide from the forum resources area?

Buen Camino, it is a beautiful (and sometimes demanding) route.

just got back for the camino, used transfer services a few times and advise to never use the correos transfer service, each time pack was sent to either wrong town or to the wrong alburgue. alburgue staff helped locate missing pack but I had to go and get it once an extra 8kilos. correos was useless when I called (I speak Spanish) and refused to help locate the pack they lost

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks for your help. While talking about Camino Ingles, are there shops to buy food as we go? Or do we need to carry food or whole day? And should I bring energy bars from the UK? Thanks!

I have phoned Jacotrans about the Ingles service and they told me that you must send previously an email with the stages and the number of backpacks and they give you a budget for the service. So it is not flexible and would be expensive for only one person. The reason is that on the Ingles there are not enough people for giving a service similar to C. Francés.
So, the Correos service is in theory the best solution for one person or a small group, but according to a previous post the Correos service is not trustworthy. @sandyecds please, your bad experience with Correos was on the Inglés?

I have phoned Jacotrans about the Ingles service and they told me that you must send previously an email with the stages and the number of backpacks and they give you a budget for the service. So it is not flexible and would be expensive for only one person. The reason is that on the Ingles there are not enough people for giving a service similar to C. Francés.
So, the Correos service is in theory the best solution for one person or a small group, but according to a previous post the Correos service is not trustworthy. @sandyecds please, your bad experience with Correos was on the Inglés?

it was on the camino frances and after the correos diasters went other services and never had any problems after that.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Never used Spanish Correos service, or any other transfer service. IMHO, don't trust them. The transfer (forgot name -- Jacotrans ??) company on the Frances seemed to be the best.

Now don't want to start a huge debate, but why not trim your weight down and carry your own? After week one..or two...you will get used to it. And learn to live without so much stuff.

70 + here and carried own all the way.

yes, sometimes there are valid reasons to transfer bag(s) i.e. health, injury etc.

But to me, shipping a bag forward is not really experiencing the Camino(s). Come on beat up on me for saying that.

Last Frances I met a woman who forwarded full size note book computer, books, clothes (most never wore), and more junk. If she had cut the junk would be manageable in a small pack.

Yep this topic has been beat to death on here time and again.

Most important, enjoy your Camino.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks lovely people, for all the good information and advice. Well done Martyseville! We are not young, but are not 70+! Maybe I had better unpack my ball gown then! Seriously though, I understand completely what you are saying. However Two of us are recovering from serious illness which is partly why we are walking, and I would rather carry just a daypack and complete the walk, than try to carry everything and not manage. I am looking forward to my pilgrimage and taking time for reflection while walking

Last edited:
Well @easkey it does not seem that anyone has had problems on the Camino Ingles with the Correos service. They are all individual drivers so one area might give better service than another. And I support any enterprise that keeps those little yellow postal cars visiting all the most remote hamlets. Although I never use bag transport services. But maybe one day I will have to. Keep walking!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks lovely people, for all the good information and advice. Well done Martyseville! We are not young, but are not 70+! Maybe I had better unpack my ball gown then! Seriously though, I understand completely what you are saying. However Two of us are recovering from serious illness which is partly why we are walking, and I would rather carry just a daypack and complete the walk, than try to carry everything and not manage. I am looking forward to my pilgrimage and taking time for reflection while walking

Thanks Easkey...

Hope you get better soon.

most important thing is enjoy your Camino. As they say "Its your Camino"

I will keep walking till the beer/vino runs out. Till I can no longer do it. Till the women get mean on the Camino. Till....tons of reasons. But most of all till I do not enjoy it any longer. Time to quit then.

Let us know how the walk goes.

Bless you.

I start my Camino Ingles tomorrow I'll take the Correos number just in case. On my Primitivo I suffered a strong lumbalgia for three days and I had to pay a taxi service for my backpack (20 euros/day) or giving up my Camino.

Hi, I just took a group on the Ingles a few weeks back and the majority made use of the luggage transfer by Correos. You can either send them your schedule up front or just pick up an envelope at your accommodation and write your destination in each day. Cost is €4 per stage for transport all the way to Santiago or €5 per day if picking and choosing stages. The service was perfect and the guys always had their bags delivered by the time of arrival in each town. Not sure the rules regarding drop off at Albergues though. As we were a fairly large group and some were not carrying packs I arranged hotel/pension accommodation for each night.

Hi I am walking from Sarria to Santiago in October. Will the luggage transfer company be working then. I just organise myself day by day is this correct. Do they drop off to the Albergue s every day?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Hi Mig,

My wife and I are planning to walk the Camino Inglish Sept 2018 and want to stay in hotel or hostel, can you recommend an accommodation in Betanzos?
Best regards,
Butch

Hi Mig,

My wife and I are planning to walk the Camino Inglish Sept 2018 and want to stay in hotel or hostel, can you recommend an accommodation in Betanzos?
Best regards,
Butch

Hi Butch,
I walked the Inglés this past July and stayed in Hotel Garelos. It's right off the main plaza, and has large rooms and a buffet breakfast. I'd highly recommend it if you don't mind paying a bit more for a night there.

Buen Camino!
Faith

I would second the Garelos.

Buffet breakfast starts at 8am, but if you look disappointed because you want to start the long stage to Hospital de Bruma early, they will have the buffet breakfast open from 7am.

Only negative I found was the standard bedrooms have showers and no baths, and if you stay in a hotel, you really want to soak your feet and legs in a hot bath. Only one bedroom has a bath and that is the suite, and the bath is a Porcellanosa Jacuzzi bath. I splurged on this, and my legs were completely new for the toughest stage of the Ingles after a Jacuzzi in the evening and before breakfast.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Butch,
I walked the Inglés this past July and stayed in Hotel Garelos. It's right off the main plaza, and has large rooms and a buffet breakfast. I'd highly recommend it if you don't mind paying a bit more for a night there.

Buen Camino!
Faith
Thank you Faith, I’ll get a reservation from them.

I would second the Garelos.

Buffet breakfast starts at 8am, but if you look disappointed because you want to start the long stage to Hospital de Bruma early, they will have the buffet breakfast open from 7am.

Only negative I found was the standard bedrooms have showers and no baths, and if you stay in a hotel, you really want to soak your feet and legs in a hot bath. Only one bedroom has a bath and that is the suite, and the bath is a Porcellanosa Jacuzzi bath. I splurged on this, and my legs were completely new for the toughest stage of the Ingles after a Jacuzzi in the evening and before breakfast.
Thank you Peb. We are in our late 60s and we will do the Camino for 8 days

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
A word of caution.....this is actually an old thread from 2016 and the earlier posts may not be current or accurate. Please check the date of the posts.
Only the last 6 posts are current.

Hello. Can I send my backpack ahead with a taxi if I don't have an accommodation booking? I know where I'll be walking to each day but would prefer to choose my accommodation when I get there. Are there places that will take my pack even if I don't stay there? Thank you.

A taxi is going to be a lot more than someone like Correos which charge an entirely reasonable total price of € 20 to transport your rucksack / suitcase all the way along the Camino. It will probably cost over € 20 each day for a normal taxi company to transfer your luggage just for one stage of the Camino.

You can tell Correos each day where you want the luggage transported to, if you do not know your schedule at the very beginning, and if you wish, you can even send your luggage to the post office in the town where you may be staying, if you are going to choose your accommodation when you arrive at the town. However, you then need to be aware of opening times of the post office to pick the suitcase up, and to deposit it back next morning. Correos also doesn't deliver to municipal albergues, for example, so this is what you would need to do if staying in these. Quite though where the nearest post office is to hospital de Bruma, I really don't know, probably many miles away, because it is in the middle of nowhere.

If you are going to choose your accommodation on arrival at a place, you should be aware that the Ingles does not have the infrastructure of other larger Caminos such as the Frances. There can be only one or two hotels/ pensions in each place other than the municipal albergue, and in October, in Cabanas / Pontedeume, many of the hotels have closed down for the winter after the season, or some of the pensions are very small and have a limited number of rooms. Unless you are going to be staying in the albergues, I would book private accommodation at least a day in advance. Then you can safely tell Correos where to send your luggage to.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back