• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Luggage transfer

Bridin Ní Cheallaigh

Galway Girl.
Time of past OR future Camino
I'm planning on walking the Camino in July/August 2017
I'm planning on doing the Camino starting in St. Jean De Port in August. I am thinking of having my luggage transfered every day for the 14 days that i am there due to a bad back. I am wondering if using the luggage tranfer do i need to book accommodation etc before hand.
Thanks guys.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You can arrange it easily on a day to day basis. This was you can decide how far you plan to walk day by day. Lots of info on this subject on the forum.

Municipal and parochial albergues generally do not accept bags. Private albergues may, but they do not guarantee a bed unless you have also reserved ahead. Hoteles and hostales will take reservations and bags. The various transportation services each have a list of where they pick up and where they drop off. Your bag will be stacked in the street awaiting the opening of the albergue, so be aware that it is not secure until the help shows up at about 1 p.m., and even then, very little responsibility is accepted for it.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
On the CF I never found my rucksack stacked in the street. (Just once it was outside the albergue in la Faba along with about 20 others.) Mostly bags were tucked away in the albergues and pensions we stayed at. Sometimes we hadn't booked in advance but luggage was kept anyway. This was between Burgos and SdC and Finisterra. Prior to that I carried my rucksack.
Yes I agree the transportation system had a list of where they called to drop luggage. Agree also this does not guarantee a bed for the night. Mostly we decided the evening before where we would stay next day and then book, but not always.
This was our experience in Sep. / Oct 2015/16

Last edited:
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I am always curious about the use of the word "luggage" in connection with the Camino.
Are people actually talking about a backpack...or do they refer to "luggage" which I think of as suitcases that are never intended to be carried on the back on a camino.

A suitcase or luggage is often mailed to Ivar at CasaIvar.com at the start of a Camino for use after arriving in Santiago...but as far as I have experienced..not sent forward on a daily basis.

Are backpacks now commonly referred to as luggage?
If you carry your own backpack do you call it "luggage"?
Curious...

I occasionally saw that some pilgrims used suitcases and that luggage was transported from place to place! I remember one couple from S.A. had a massive case that took up valuable space in the shared dormitory. As well as the luggage they also had a massive row! An interesting scenario!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Municipal and parochial albergues generally do not accept bags. Private albergues may, but they do not guarantee a bed unless you have also reserved ahead. Hoteles and hostales will take reservations and bags. The various transportation services each have a list of where they pick up and where they drop off. Your bag will be stacked in the street awaiting the opening of the albergue, so be aware that it is not secure until the help shows up at about 1 p.m., and even then, very little responsibility is accepted for it.
The municipal albergues are definitely taking transfer bags now

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back