• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

luggage transfers from St Jean

AnnieY

AnnieY
Time of past OR future Camino
September 2014
does anyone know if there are any backpack transfers from St Jean? thanks Annie

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yes I too need transfer and was told that you can take your backpack and send it ahead. I am not sure where in SJPP one would do this but I am sure the Albergue can help.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Contact Caroline at Express Bourricot; http//www.expressbourricot.com/en.html. That day is one of the toughest ones on the Camino and MANY people send the bags ahead. Caroline may provide you with a smaller day pack that you drop off at the same place she drops your bags in Roncesvalles. I think the cost is 5-7 Euros.

Contact Caroline at Express Bourricot; http//www.expressbourricot.com/en.html. That day is one of the toughest ones on the Camino and MANY people send the bags ahead. Caroline may provide you with a smaller day pack that you drop off at the same place she drops your bags in Roncesvalles. I think the cost is 5-7 Euros.
She's a genius at helping almost everyone. She even picked up a daypack I'd used for two days and brought it back to its rightful owner in SJPdP!

If memory serves me correct today, Caroline at Express Bourricot can help you move backpacks form St. Jean several days walk into Spain. However, after that, Caroline's service thins out, and you likely need to set something up with Jacotrans. Try this link - the English one:

I recall they are represented just about the entire Camino Frances. Their "mochila" service simply moves one backpack or even one suitcase from albergue to albergue, hostal, or hotel for a flat fee, per segment/day. Basically, you lock and leave the tagged bag where you slept. Usually at the front desk. While you are walking, the service comes by, collect your bag and take it to your indicated next stop.

While some pilgrims have opinions against doing this, most of us understand there are pilgrims with special needs and abilities. These services are a big help in allowing these pilgrims to do something they might otherwise not be able to achieve. I started referring to these folks as "slackpackers" or "tourigrinos" last year, until I realized the advanced age and physical condition of many of these people. Using a baggage transport service was simply a tool they used to accomplish the primary goal of completing the Camino. Hence, I no longer think the way I once did. Judge not, lest ye be judged...:eek:

Finally, Caroline and Express Bourricot offer a service to transport one piece of luggage from St. Jean to Santiago de Compestela. Last year I shipped a duffel bag. This year a standard rolling suitcase. The cost is Euro 70 per bag.

Yes, it sounds expensive until you realize that she only makes the two-day driving trip once or twice a month. The distance is about 500 miles (800 km). Whoever drives the Express Bourricot van with 15-20 pieces of luggage must sleep overnight on the way to and from Santiago. So, Caroline must wait until she has enough bags to justify the costs of making the journey. The cost is far less than sending an equal amount through the post. Caroline has an agreement with an albergue in Santiago to store your luggage in their locked luggage room until you collect it. it works very smoothly.

I usually send more touristy clothes, souvenirs I bought at St. Jean and other stuff I will not want until I arrive at Santiago. This year, I will be a volunteer at the Pilgrim Office in Santiago for two weeks just after my Camino. So, I need things to live there, as well as for playing tourist elsewhere in Europe afterwards.

I hope this helps.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back