• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Luggage transfers to AirBnB's

F

Former member 106609

Hi there
We are 3 women planning on walking from Porto to SDC. My travel buddies want to book AirBnB's and book transfers through one of the transfer companies. I'd prefer to book through a group where everything is pre-organised. Whats better? I'm concerned that our luggage will get delivered to an AirBnB and get left and is then stolen. I really want this trip to be a spiritual journey and not be worried about my luggage being stolen the entire time. Am i worrying needlessly? Whats the better way of doing this?
Thanks so much
Tori

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It sounds like you have some experience regarding how AirBnB's operate. I would be worried unless I had a very clear understanding from the owner that they had a way to accept your luggage securely, either at a nearby cafe or restaurant before I made any arrangement to rent from them. I had an AirBnB stay in Le Puy several years ago and got there to find it had been broken into and quite a few of the doors inside smashed open including the security mechanism at the front door.

While theft is rare, it happens. I would be very hesitant to have my belongings left outside in a random neighborhood for an unknown amount of time.

Additionally, luggage transfer companies usually have designated pickup/drop-off places in each city, so finding one that is willing to detour to your specific AirBnB will be a challenge. You could always carry your luggage to the pickup point in the morning and then retrieve it from the drop-off site once you arrive in the next town, but some accommodations will not accept luggage if you are not staying there. You could also simply hire a taxi every morning to move your luggage to the next town, but once again you will be leaving it unmonitored and subject to theft.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have had some problems with getting anything to an AirBnb. The issue (as expressed above) is that usually there is a requirement that someone is there to receive it. Most AirBnb are going more and more to an electronic or unattended checkin. I ended up not doing it in most cases. You can check with the host in advance. Sometimes they live nearby and are willing to receive the shipment but it's pretty hit or miss. I know this is not the answer you are looking for, but for the price difference, in many cases, a hotel is not that much more than an AirBnb and they usually have someone in attendance.

Hi there
We are 3 women planning on walking from Porto to SDC. My travel buddies want to book AirBnB's and book transfers through one of the transfer companies. I'd prefer to book through a group where everything is pre-organised. Whats better? I'm concerned that our luggage will get delivered to an AirBnB and get left and is then stolen. I really want this trip to be a spiritual journey and not be worried about my luggage being stolen the entire time. Am i worrying needlessly? Whats the better way of doing this?
Thanks so much
Tori
Baggage transfer and AirBnB is not an easy mix for the reasons others have given. But why AirBnb anyway? My limited experience of AirBnB tells me that it is not a cheap alternative unless you are staying more than a couple of nights (cleaning costs tend to be fixed). And an "everything is pre-booked" package is not the only alternative but is another relatively expensive way of travelling.
Why not stay in albergues or hotels and have your baggage safely delivered there?
And you might consider popping an AirTag or two into the cases. Great piece of mind as you walk to see that your bag(s) have been collected and delivered.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.