• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Luggage transfers to albergues without room reservation

DankeL

Time of past OR future Camino
Portugues - May 2018
Frances - Mar 2019
Hi,
As we know, some albergues do not take bed reservations, as it's a first come, first served basis. Question, is it permissible to have a luggage transfer deliver to said albergue, and if there's no bed, pick up bags to go elsewhere? Or do lodging managers/owners, be it albergues, pensions, etc only accept bags when the bag owner is registered for a night?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi,
As we know, some albergues do not take bed reservations, as it's a first come, first served basis. Question, is it permissible to have a luggage transfer deliver to said albergue, and if there's no bed, pick up bags to go elsewhere? Or do lodging managers/owners, be it albergues, pensions, etc only accept bags when the bag owner is registered for a night?
It's usually only municipal, parochial and donativo albergues that don't accept reservations (not all of this type, but most). Many of these same albergues also don't accept transferred backpacks. But if they do, they will probably accept yours, then if there is no room you can pick it up and find another place to stay.

Consider though that if there are no more beds available in that town that means that you will be carrying your backpack to the next town.

It seems to me the easiest thing to do when having your pack transported is to make reservations.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Also, if you arrive and there are no beds available at the munis, taxi's are usually available all along the Camino Frances to take you and your luggage to the next town. I saw many advertising flyers with their phone numbers in bars and also nailed to trees periodically along the way.

The transfer company will usually know if the albergue you want to send the bag to accepts transported luggage or not. You could also call the albergue and check. In many cases there is a nearby bar or cafe that accepts delivered bags. Even if the albergue does accept bags, it may be closed when the van turns up.

Not only that, it can create a problem for municipales, paroquiales, donativos etc. The hospitaleros work hard and it is an extra burden if they have to wait around for bags to be delivered, not to mention the issue of taking responsibility for other people's property. Better to check first unless you have a reservation at a private albergue.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you All for your responses. Much appreciated.
The Correos website will show you which accommodations they collect/deliver too. Just enter start/end location to get the accommodation list appear.

Our accommodation in Soto de Luiña was not on the list but the Albergue was. We approached the albergue and asked if we could drop our rucksacks off in the morning to be collected.

They refused as we were not staying there.

So, as above, for baggage transfer it's best to have accommodation booked in advance

Hi,
The bags are not accepted. They're just tucked into a corner.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I think it's abusing the hospitality of a place to send your bag there if you don't intend to stay, especially if the people there are volunteers. The albergue makes no money from this service, and the hospis often end up having to shift the heavy bags around -- not their job, not their responsibility. Even more of a slap when it's a suitcase!

I think it's abusing the hospitality of a place to send your bag there if you don't intend to stay, especially if the people there are volunteers. The albergue makes no money from this service, and the hospis often end up having to shift the heavy bags around -- not their job, not their responsibility. Even more of a slap when it's a suitcase!
Agree! It seems the bag companies should know which lodgings do and don't accept luggage and backpacks, and let their clients know it is not an option. I wonder if they provide an online list of options.
It seems rude to expect and assume "favors" of this type if you are not staying at those properties.

Agree! It seems the bag companies should know which lodgings do and don't accept luggage and backpacks, and let their clients know it is not an option. I wonder if they provide an online list of options.
It seems rude to expect and assume "favors" of this type if you are not staying at those properties.
Agree, but given you fill the envelope details out, insert your euros and attach to your mochila as you leave the albergue each day, I’m not sure how the courier companies would be able to control where people want their bags dropped to. As mentioned above if you jump on to their website most will say where they will drop bags off at.

Interestingly some of the Municipals accept bag drop offs(e.g. Villafranca del Bierzo - where we are today).

You’ll just need to do some research as you go. With wifi available it’s a reasonably easy task. Most albergues are contactable by phone or WhatsApp, additionally the albergue volunteers are always a good source of intel on the towns in the next stage.

Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Also, if you arrive and there are no beds available at the munis, taxi's are usually available all along the Camino Frances to take you and your luggage to the next town. I saw many advertising flyers with their phone numbers in bars and also nailed to trees periodically along the way.
There are many places with no taxis, so I wouldn’t count on that. Make sure you can carry all of your belongings comfortably.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back