• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Luggage transport and storage

Deeppockets

I am walking the Camino Frances in May/June 2012.
I will be carrying my own luggage for the Camino in my backpack.
However, I also have a suitcase which I will need to have transported from my starting point of St Jean Pied-de-Port to Santiago, where I will need it stored until I have completed the Camino.
The suitcase is necessary because I am holidaying in France with my wife after the Camino.
I know from looking at Forum threads that it is possible to have luggage transported from town to town along the Camino but is it posssible to organise transport and storage from St Jean to Santiago with a single company?

Deeppockets

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Deeppockets...welcome to the Forum and the Class of 2012!

You have several options, here's two:

If you don't need the stuff in the suitcase...why not send it to the hotel in France where you will meet your wife? They know you're coming...the better hotels will hold luggage.

If you need stuff upon your arrival in SDC, consider mailing the luggage to yourself to be collected at the Central PO in SDC. Here's the address:

It is right here:
http://g.co/maps/chx6z
..100 meters from the cathedral. Easy to find.

Put your own name and the PO address in the return address slot. This way the PO will have to hold your luggage until you arrive.

Buen Camino

Arn

Arn said:
Put your own name and the PO address in the return address slot. This way the PO will have to hold your luggage until you arrive. Arn

Careful - the post office will only hold it for 15 days.

This service is available in Santiago:

[edited by ivar]
Updated link since one service stopped working, and a new is up and running:
http://www.caminodesantiago.me/luggage- ... ompostela/
[end edit]

Best regards

John

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Deeppockets said:
... is it posssible to organise transport and storage from St Jean to Santiago with a single company?

Deeppockets

Mate try Garry from Spanish Adventures : http://www.spanishadventures.com/

Garry has helped us with baggage transfers, accomodation selection etc etc for our Camino in 2010 and we plan to use him again for our next Camino in 2013. He has excellent contacts all along the Camino and I'm sure would be happy to point you in the right direction.

Cheers,

Jason.

Thank you Arn, John, and Jason for your posts.
I have emailed Manuel at Pilgrimhelper and Garry at Spanish Adventures.
I have also emailed Jacotrans and Expressbouriricot so I have a few irons in the fire thanks to you and I am now awaiting replies from these organisations.

I will let you know the outcome.
Regards
Peter

After several days of email communications, I think I have solved the problem of transporting my suitcase from St Jean to Santiago.
Caroline Aphessetche of Express Bourricot (apcaroline@hotmail.com, http://www.expressbourricot.com) will transport my suitcase from St Jean to Roncevalles for 8 euros.
Jacotrans (jacotrans@gmail.com) will then transport the suitcase from Roncevalles to Santiago for a total of 50 euros via the Spanish postal service (25 euros for the postal service and 25 euros for Jacotrans service fee).

Manuel Ruzo of Pension Badalada in Santiago (info@badalada.es) will store the suitcase for up to 60 days for a sliding scale fee of up to 25 euros (depending on size and weight).

Garry of Spanish Adventures (garry@spanishadventures.com, http://www.spanishadventures.com/) is an expat Aussie who has lived in Spain for many years. He organizes guided and unguided walking and cycling tours in Spain and in France and is also a very helpful bloke who really knows his stuff.
I am indebted to Garry for his friendly help and advice after I contacted him on referral from Jason on this forum.

Peter S
Adelaide Australia

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.