• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Luggage transport and storage

jnprgone

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese Central from Porto 2015
Portuguese Coastal from Porto 2016
Two questions:
1. When we walked the Camino in Portugal we had a soft bag of clothing for Post Camino travel that we shipped via the postal system to Ivar for storage in Santiago. Is there an equivalent service on the Via Francigena where we can ship a bag from Lucca or Siena to be stored in Rome?
2. Along the Camino there are services where you can arrange to have your backpack picked up where you’re staying and delivered to your next night’s accommodation - not daily transport, but on a random basis if a stage is really difficult or you’re fighting injury or fatigue.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Welcome to the forum @jnprgone. I don't have specific information on the Via Francigena. I have heard that it does not have the infrastructure for walkers that is available on the main routes in Spain and Portugal.

Have you booked a hotel in Rome for when you finish, and could your bag be sent there?

I have not heard about regular backpack services on the Francigena.

Hopefully one of our members who has walked the Francigena can give you better advice than me.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Welcome to the forum @jnprgone. I don't have specific information on the Via Francigena. I have heard that it does not have the infrastructure for walkers that is available on the main routes in Spain and Portugal.

Have you booked a hotel in Rome for when you finish, and could your bag be sent there?

I have not heard about regular backpack services on the Francigena.

Hopefully one of our members who has walked the Francigena can give you better advice than me.
Thank you for your response. We don't have accommodations in Rome, because as on the Camino we take our time and don't have a set day to arrive. As for the backpack services, we've never used one, but just wanted to have the info if something should happen. I guess we'll just think positive and not need them.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I just can't figure out why people ship clothes ahead?
Seems like being in Europe is a great opportunity to take advantage of some REALLY inexpensive shopping for good quality clothes.

well, quality is debatable. you need to look carefully for european products (which are not that cheap), pretty much all cheap clothes are asian.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! I'm starting research on the VF and, having walked the Camino Francés, I wonder how laundry/hand washing facilities and situations compare on the Francigena. I know there are more private...
Good news for pilgrims on the VF: https://www.viefrancigene.org/en/historic-pilgrim-hostel-reopens-in-siena-tuscany/

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back