• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Luggage Transport from St. Jean

Loberger

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances
Is it better to ship extra clothing from St. Jean to Santiago or carry over to Roncesvalles and ship from there?

Last edited by a moderator:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Is it better to ship extra clothing from St. Jean to Santiago or carry over to Roncesvalles and ship from there?
I recommend using Express Bouricott to send extra items from St Jean. I have used their service twice to send a suitcase with my "tourist" clothes (and hairdryer!) to Santiago.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ship to Roncesvalle then ship to Pamplona where you can access the Spanish post office. Then you can decide to ship to Ivar in Santiago

Ship to Roncesvalle then ship to Pamplona where you can access the Spanish post office. Then you can decide to ship to Ivar in Santiago
I think that you'll find that it's easier, and not any more expensive to use Express Bourricot's service to ship directly from St Jean to Santiago.

It's super easy. You just go to their office next door to the Pilgrim's Office, pay the fee, and they will give you a tag to attach to your bag. Then you just leave it at your accommodation in the morning before you start walking.

The bag will be waiting for you at the Loop Inn (formerly Hostal Lasalle) in Santiago. They have 24/7 reception, so you can pick up your bag at your convenience. They also offer a discount on a private room, which I have used a couple of times.

Express Bourricot offers two ways: One, to ship your stuff with them to SdC direct; convenient but it costs. The other is to let them transport your heavy backpack to Roncesvalles (or wherever you walk to on your first Etapa, @ €8.-), from there, have it transported with Jacotrans @ €7 until Pamplona, where you find the main Correo branch to send your things to SdC. (Best is to send it to the good care of Ivar, find the address and instructions on this site)

Buen Camino

PS: Every Albergue on the way can help you with the arrangements of contacting Jacotrans

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Express Bourricot offers two ways: One, to ship your stuff with them to SdC direct; convenient but it costs. The other is to let them transport your heavy backpack to Roncesvalles (or wherever you walk to on your first Etapa, @ €8.-), from there, have it transported with Jacotrans @ €7 until Pamplona, where you find the main Correo branch to send your things to SdC. (Best is to send it to the good care of Ivar, find the address and instructions on this site)
I think that you'll find that when you add the daily transport cost until Pamplona, the cost to mailing the bag from Pamplona to Santiago, and Ivar's storage fee that Express Bourricot's fee of 70€ seems very reasonable!

First you will have 3 or 4 days until Pamplona at the cost of 7€ a day until Pamplona (actually Express Bourricot charges 8€ per day for the stages between SJPDP and Roncesvalles) , which will between 22€ and 30€, depending on whether you take 3 or 4 days.

Then there is the cost to send it to Ivar, which I'll estimate at 20€ (based on the price I paid to send a small suitcase from Irun to Ivar)

Then there's Ivar's storage fee which is between 20€ and 25€ and you're between 62€ and 75€, plus the hassle of going to the post office during operating hours in Pamplona. And don't forget that once you are in Santiago you can pick up your bag at your convenience when you use Express Bourricot.

I'm not knocking Ivar's service at all, but in my opinion, when shipping from SJPDP, Express Bourricot wins out.

I think that you'll find that when you add the daily transport cost until Pamplona, the cost to mailing the bag from Pamplona to Santiago, and Ivar's storage fee that Express Bourricot's fee of 70€ seems very reasonable!

First you will have 3 or 4 days until Pamplona at the cost of 7€ a day until Pamplona (actually Express Bourricot charges 8€ per day for the stages between SJPDP and Roncesvalles) , which will between 22€ and 30€, depending on whether you take 3 or 4 days.

Then there is the cost to send it to Ivar, which I'll estimate at 20€ (based on the price I paid to send a small suitcase from Irun to Ivar)

Then there's Ivar's storage fee which is between 20€ and 25€ and you're between 62€ and 75€, plus the hassle of going to the post office during operating hours in Pamplona. And don't forget that once you are in Santiago you can pick up your bag at your convenience when you use Express Bourricot.

I'm not knocking Ivar's service at all, but in my opinion, when shipping from SJPDP, Express Bourricot wins out.
🤷 👍

I know a lot of people that used Miguel daily throughout their Camino (Frances) and were so happy with the service. I used them once and had no issues and they only charge €5. You just put your money inside the envelope, call them on the number provided to tell them where to collect your luggage and where you are staying next. The envelopes were readily available in almost all Albergues I stayed at and they speak good English. Also you can send things on from any correos to the correos in Santiago, where they will hold it for you for a maximum of 30 days. I did this and my stuff was waiting for me when I arrived. It cost me €28 for a package weighing just over 2kg. They email you a reference number which you will need to collect your things . It was very simple to do. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 40F52FF8-4A5B-4D22-9AF0-A9CF39DB6E3D.jpeg
    40F52FF8-4A5B-4D22-9AF0-A9CF39DB6E3D.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I sent a box from St. Jean to Ivar and he received it within a few days. I will pick it up when I get there. The total cost will be a lot less for me than with express Bouricot. It may depend on how big is what you want to send.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Yes, exactly. They had boxes ready and I just had to put the address and pay for shipping.
Great thank you, I will be looking to do the same before I start from St Jean September 13. I'll have a small suitcase to ship ahead to Santiago for my 2 weeks in Portugal after I finish the Camino (God willing!) From watching Ivar's video it sounded like there could be problems shipping through the French post office into Spain.

I sent a box from St. Jean to Ivar and he received it within a few days. I will pick it up when I get there. The total cost will be a lot less for me than with express Bouricot. It may depend on how big is what you want to send.
Hi, was your parcel sent from the post office in SJPP? Thank you

I think that you'll find that it's easier, and not any more expensive to use Express Bourricot's service to ship directly from St Jean to Santiago.

It's super easy. You just go to their office next door to the Pilgrim's Office, pay the fee, and they will give you a tag to attach to your bag. Then you just leave it at your accommodation in the morning before you start walking.

The bag will be waiting for you at the Loop Inn (formerly Hostal Lasalle) in Santiago. They have 24/7 reception, so you can pick up your bag at your convenience. They also offer a discount on a private room, which I have used a couple of times.
Thank you for this information. I forgot totally about Express Bourricot.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Soooo... I guess my question is WHY do you want to ship clothing?
Santiago has some awesome shopping and the quality of the clothes is excellent.
By the time you spend and the money you pay to ship, why not just shop when you get to Santiago?
Just sayin'. . . support the local economy?

Soooo... I guess my question is WHY do you want to ship clothing?
Santiago has some awesome shopping and the quality of the clothes is excellent.
In my case I will usually have a few tourist days before I start my Camino, so I need the extra clothes then too. Plus I don't want to spend my time in Santiago shopping for clothes.

I can usually find all kinds of things that I like in my size when I don't have to buy anything, but as soon as I need something I can't find anything I like.

In my case I will usually have a few tourist days before I start my Camino, so I need the extra clothes then too. Plus I don't want to spend my time in Santiago shopping for clothes.

I can usually find all kinds of things that I like in my size when I don't have to buy anything, but as soon as I need something I can't find anything I like.
A pair of slacks, a couple of shirts, a sweater...takes me half an hour max and I am a new man.
🤷

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello, I will be waking with my daughter from SJPP to Logrono when, hopefully I want to use my little folding bike (brompton) to do the messeta, the bike fits in a bag and weights about 10kg. From what I read above, I could send it from SJPP to Logrono? what service would you recommend, Jacotrans or Express Bourricot. I know it is an unusual way of doing the camino! I have walked it before, so I want to try a different formula this time, start with my daughter and then bike ahead! she will keep on walking. thanks for the suggestions!

p.s. I will be carrying my back, I just need to send the bike ahead.

View attachment 142625

Attachments

• Unknown.jpeg
    Unknown.jpeg
    7.2 KB · Views: 1

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.