• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Luggage Transport Service on the Camino Frances from St Jean Pied de Port

MiaMiaMia

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances in May 2022
Hello, I am planning to walk the Camino Frances for 10-14 days in early May 2022 from St Jean Pied de Port with a coaching client. My question is:

Is there a luggage transport service that would take our luggage each day to the next stage of our trip? (I hope so as I really struggle to carry any weight over any length of time). If so, can this be arranged once we arrive at SJPDP or do we need to book it in advance?

Many thanks!
Mia

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The easiest way is to use Express Bourricot to get your stuff from St. Jean Pied de Porte, over the Pyrenees to Roncesvalles. Once in Spain, there are several luggage transport services you can use for the remainder of your journey.

IIRC, the Express Bourricot office is just to the left over the Pilgrim Office in SJPdP. They MAY have developed a working relationship with one or more if the Spanish luggage transport services to provide a more seamless experience. You need to ask.

Check the Express Bourricot website at:

Hope this helps.

Tom

What everyone else said.
I use Express Bourricot. They will deliver to the Roncesvalles albergue.
I use Caminofacil the rest of the way and have been VERY happy with their service.
However, Caminofacil can not pick up the bags at the Roncesvalles albergue - so you take them to Casa Sabina for pickup.
Not sure why - just the way it is.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello, I am planning to walk the Camino Frances for 10-14 days in early May 2022 from St Jean Pied de Port with a coaching client. My question is:

Is there a luggage transport service that would take our luggage each day to the next stage of our trip? (I hope so as I really struggle to carry any weight over any length of time). If so, can this be arranged once we arrive at SJPDP or do we need to book it in advance?

Many thanks!
Mia
Try Macs adventures. I know if you Google it there are a lot of options. Most that I looked at also book your lodging as well.

Many thanks!
Mia
I have used CaminoFacil four different years and never experienced even one little problem. Highly recommended.

Many thanks!
Mia
I check with Jacotrans and they will pick up in SJPP and deliver to Orrision, but I'm having difficulty finding the Municipal Albergue in Roncesvalles on their pick list of destinations for the second day.

Anyone else having this problem?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I check with Jacotrans and they will pick up in SJPP and deliver to Orrision, but I'm having difficulty finding the Municipal Albergue in Roncesvalles on their pick list of destinations for the second day.

I have no first hand experience, but I think that many/most/all municipal albergues will not accept pack drop-off. I’m not sure if this is based on a “true pilgrim” ideology or that it’s just a hassle for them, but I have heard of this issue on numerous occasions.

I have been in places on the Francés (O Cebreiro comes most quickly to mind) where I saw a bunch of packs just dumped all together near the church waiting for their owners. I am assuming this has to do with the fact that the municipal wouldn’t accept them, but I don’t know.

@Anniesantiago has reported the same experience with Caminofácil in Roncesvalles, just a few posts up from here.

At one point Orisson Refuge would only take bags from Express Bouricott. I don’t know 🤷‍♀️ f that has changed.
I have reserve Bouiricott in France and then Correos for the rest of the walk in Spain.
You can also do it nightly using envelopes the accommodations provide but you’ll have to remember to have the exact change.

I would use Express Bouricott for this stage.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Once in Spain, use CORREOS! It is hands down, the least expensive. You can order a flat rate, for the entire way, or sections. They do not charge you for changes when you have a flat rate and number of overnights does not matter. Caminofacil has charged for changes in one’s itinerary once the Camino begins. Jaco trans did not deliver, !, to places that Correos did! I have used all three. Correos or Caminofacil are efficient, but Correos can save money, especially if you want to shorten stages, and you can make changes without paying more. Read the fine print! With both Correos and Caminofacil, you can preprint your tags.

Last edited:
I have no first hand experience, but I think that many/most/all municipal albergues will not accept pack drop-off. I’m not sure if this is based on a “true pilgrim” ideology or that it’s just a hassle for them, but I have heard of this issue on numerous occasions.

I have been in places on the Francés (O Cebreiro comes most quickly to mind) where I saw a bunch of packs just dumped all together near the church waiting for their owners. I am assuming this has to do with the fact that the municipal wouldn’t accept them, but I don’t know.

@Anniesantiago has reported the same experience with Caminofácil in Roncesvalles, just a few posts up from here.
I think the answer is “to much hassle”. If you’re the muni hospitalero or the volunteer in a parochial or association place you will already have been up at 7am - turfed out the Pilgs; cleaned the dorms and the ablutions; replaced the borrowed toilet rolls; filled in the logs and registered your overnight guests. Maybe banked the takings; bought the replacement pack of toilet rolls for tomorrow; tried to find some replacement clothes pegs that left because they were so attached to the toilet rolls; phoned the guy who unblocks the showers and toilets you can’t and put the abandoned stuff in the donativo box or the bin.
So. It’s 11am. It’ll all start again in 3 or 4 hours time. If that were you would you want to do something with your brief spare time or sit and wait for the bag delivery crews? Me, I’d be in my favourite bar watching the bags pile up in the corner while the owner smiles and gets ready to sell some beer 😉

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back