• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Luggage transport

Lucca

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2019
Any advice for transporting luggage daily? I will be starting the this camino on September 18th.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Members will be minded that is more than one way to Santiago. If a pilgrim wishes to take advantage of luggage transport that is their choice. Santiago won't be bothered and neither should we be.

@Lucca there are multiple luggage transport providers along the Camino Frances including the Spanish Post Office - Correos. If you are seeking a recommendation for a provider I can't help but others here will.

Any advice for transporting luggage daily? I will be starting the this camino on September 18th.
Where are you starting. I start from St Jean on the 18th. Have reservations in Orisson.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
You will find in all albergues and hostels those little envelopes, where you deposit the money for the transport, if you don't transfer it via paypal or another service which you attach to your backpack. There are quite a few services who offer bag transfer. I used Jacotrans and Correos sometimes, when the stage next day was going to be difficult oder very long. Both worked out fine.

Just be aware that you have to decide the night before 8 or 9 p.m., depending on which service you use, call them or send an email and tell them where to pick up your backpack next morning and where you are going to stay the next night. So you also need to reserve a bed or room for next day because the companies will have to know, where to take your backpack.

So you are not really free to stop whenever it is best for you. Once I would have stopped quite a bit earlier and it was hard to walk the last part of the stage to get to the albergue, where my backpack had been transported. Another time I would have liked to walk a bit longer. And some days it was just perfect not having to carry my backpack.

You can't send your backpack to a Municipales though, they don't accept backpacks.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You will find in all albergues and hostels those little envelopes, where you deposit the money for the transport, if you don't transfer it via paypal or another service which you attach to your backpack. There are quite a few services who offer bag transfer. I used Jacotrans and Correos sometimes, when the stage next day was going to be difficult oder very long. Both worked out fine.

Just be aware that you have to decide the night before 8 or 9 p.m., depending on which service you use, call them or send an email and tell them where to pick up your backpack next morning and where you are going to stay the next night. So you also need to reserve a bed or room for next day because the companies will have to know, where to take your backpack.

So you are not really free to stop whenever it is best for you. Once I would have stopped quite a bit earlier and it was hard to walk the last part of the stage to get to the albergue, where my backpack had been transported. Another time I would have liked to walk a bit longer. And some days it was just perfect not having to carry my backpack.

You can't send your backpack to a Municipales though, they don't accept backpacks.
Thank you.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most "luggage transfer service providers" had their "envelopes available in most albergues on Camino Francis in May 2017, not much so on Camino Portugues in May, 2019, it may be I stayed in "hotels".

I used JacoTrans in May 2017 and was very pleased with their services. (I made one mistake myself, they helped correct it promptly.)

A word of caution: not all stages is the same price in 5/2017.

If my memory serves me right: For instances, from SJdPP to Reconvalles, it was 8 euros; stages between from Reconvalles and Lugo, or nearby, each stage was 7 euros, each stage from Sarrnia to SdC was 5 euros.

If my memory serves me right: For instances, from SJdPP to Reconvalles, it was 8 euros; stages between from Reconvalles and Lugo, or nearby, each stage was 7 euros, each stage from Sarrnia to SdC was 5 euros.
This year in May & June 2019 one had to pay 5 € for a stage from Pamplona to Sarria, from Sarria to SdC it was 3 Euros a stage. Seems it got cheaper, probably due to the competition between the different services.

I've been very happy with Caminofacil.
You can plan your trip on their website and pay ahead, or book day to day.
Ditto for CaminoFacil. I have used them on my previous three Camino hikes and there has never been even one little glitch with their service. Highly recommended.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I've been very happy with Caminofacil.
You can plan your trip on their website and pay ahead, or book day to day.
We used Camino Facile. Very efficient but not the cheapest way to transport your luggage ahead. You can even pre book and get all the tags before you leave home then you don't have to be finding money to put in the envelope each day. Draw back - you have to meet up with your bags each day so it limits your freedom of stopping anywhere else each day.

Lots of people like the service that Correos provides.
I used Correos for bag transport. They were absolutely reliable, easy to use, and friendly on-line. When I screwed up with my planning, Correos caught my error and emailed me to let me know I should review and correct my planning. Highly recommended!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
When I had sciatica on the Frances this past spring, I used the service that had the pink ties on the envelope -- I don't think it was Caminofacil, nor was it Jacotrans. Or Correos. I can't think of the name -- but my bag was always waiting for me (I'm sure this was true of the other services too).

Maybe a new service?

Most "luggage transfer service providers" had their "envelopes available in most albergues on Camino Francis in May 2017, not much so on Camino Portugues in May, 2019, it may be I stayed in "hotels".

I used JacoTrans in May 2017 and was very pleased with their services. (I made one mistake myself, they helped correct it promptly.)

A word of caution: not all stages is the same price in 5/2017.

Absolutely recommend CAMINOFACIL. Incredible service and almost immediate response via text

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Very tempted by Correos, but for my Meseta 2019 walk I've pre-booked Caminofacil to tote my mochilla for me on three of the more wearisome stages, to give my aging back a break... I'll let the Forum know if I made a mistake....

Some who I have walked with used Caminofacile, others Correos. Both seemed to work well.

The obvious downside is that you’re committed to walking to a specific end point each day. The loss of spontaneity may be a small price to pay.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back