• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Luggage Transport

Rellrog

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances: March 2013
Le Puy: July 2015
Portugues: April 2018
La Plata: March 2020-to be continued
Since we are traveling for 3 months we had to carry extra luggage with us. Any idea how easy it is to send our extra luggage via the Spanish Correos from city to city. On the Le Puy in France we mailed extra luggage using the French mail service 5-8 stages ahead since the French have a 15 day limit hold at the Post Office. We then picked them up and mailed them another 5-8 stages ahead. How easy is doing that in Spain. We will be walking the Via de la Plata from Sevilla. Thank you.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Pretty much the same - 15 day limit at spanish post offices. Sending 5-8 stages ahead is a reasonable bet ... but what a palaver. Having to make sure that you’re in a specific town during post office opening hours. (Sunday is out). Looking up addresses of the next post offices en route. Repeatedly going through the shipping process and paying for it.

I thought it would be a good idea in 2017 but ultimately regretted it. One “interesting“ technique that I used was to make a reservation at a posh hotel about 15 stages ahead and write the hotel name and my reservation number as the return address for my parcel. That way, I figured, the post office would hold the parcel for 15 days - I could pick up from there if I made better progress than expected. And if I made slower progres, then it would be delivered to my hotel and held there. Genius!
Of course, I arrived on precisely the day that the post office ceased to store my parcel. I couldn't collect from the correos and it hadn’t yet been delivered to my hotel. I had to wait. Oh well.

If you’re planning to finish in Santiago it will be cheaper and easier to make just one shipment of your belongings to Ivar in Santiago.

Pretty much the same - 15 day limit at spanish post offices. Sending 5-8 stages ahead is a reasonable bet ... but what a palaver. Having to make sure that you’re in a specific town during post office opening hours. (Sunday is out). Looking up addresses of the next post offices en route. Repeatedly going through the shipping process and paying for it.

I thought it would be a good idea in 2017 but ultimately regretted it. One “interesting“ technique that I used was to make a reservation at a posh hotel about 15 stages ahead and write the hotel name and my reservation number as the return address for my parcel. That way, I figured, the post office would hold the parcel for 15 days - I could pick up from there if I made better progress than expected. And if I made slower progres, then it would be delivered to my hotel and held there. Genius!
Of course, I arrived on precisely the day that the post office ceased to store my parcel. I couldn't collect from the correos and it hadn’t yet been delivered to my hotel. I had to wait. Oh well.

If you’re planning to finish in Santiago it will be cheaper and easier to make just one shipment of your belongings to Ivar in Santiago.
Send it straight to Santiago to Ivar. Look for the link on this site. He has a storage facility and will hold it as long as you like
Since we are traveling for 3 months we had to carry extra luggage with us. Any idea how easy it is to send our extra luggage via the Spanish Correos from city to city. On the Le Puy in France we mailed extra luggage using the French mail service 5-8 stages ahead since the French have a 15 day limit hold at the Post Office. We then picked them up and mailed them another 5-8 stages ahead. How easy is doing that in Spain. We will be walking the Via de la Plata from Sevilla. Thank you.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the VĂ­a de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back