• Update: The images and attachemnets are now back, we are generating new thumbnails.... (this takes time with 20 years of photos). I know the notification icon gives an error. That error should be gone within an hour or two. Sorry again! Ivar
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Luggage transport

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances April 2020
I'm thinking about using luggage transport. I will start the Camino in Pamplona on March 22. Correos doesn't start until April 1st. I tried looking on the Jacotrans site, it doesn't seem to work for March either.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
There are several service providers for backpack transport. You will find the specifics when you arrived at your albergue or hotel or hostel.... I walked during the tail end of March and there was some services available.
I'm thinking about using luggage transport. I will start the Camino in Pamplona on March 22. Correos doesn't start until April 1st. I tried looking on the Jacotrans site, it doesn't seem to work for March either.

First of all, I'd call it BACKPACK transport as many albergues are no longer allowing rolling suitcases. I have used Caminofacil for many years and I'm very happy with them. Once you are in Sarria, there are several companies that charge a lot less per stage.
Annie? Can you be specific regarding which albergues (??):are not allowing rolling suitcases.
Correos.com is still transporting them. I would say at least 50 percent of the luggage I see in various places for pilgrim pick-up, are roller bags?

I know Correos.com is still transporting them?…and is more economical than Caminofacil…but both with excellent delivery service.

1674394514135.png

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Annie? Can you be specific regarding which albergues (??):are not allowing rolling suitcases.
Correos.com is still transporting them. I would say at least 50 percent of the luggage I see in various places for pilgrim pick-up, are roller bags?

I know Correos.com is still transporting them?…and is more economical than Caminofacil…but both with excellent delivery service.

View attachment 140051
Rebekah posted something about this last week or two. I don't have a list, but I'm not allowing suitcases on my trips anymore.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I am planning to use Correos for my May/June Camino. I was planning to transport a carryon-sized rolling bag because I will be walking with a backpack. I really don’t want to travel with two backpacks (one to transport and one to walk with). I figure I will ask Correos when I book if this is an issue in any of my booked accommodations. They should know if any places are rejecting rolling bags.

I am planning to use Correos for my May/June Camino. I was planning to transport a carryon-sized rolling bag because I will be walking with a backpack. I really don’t want to travel with two backpacks (one to transport and one to walk with). I figure I will ask Correos when I book if this is an issue in any of my booked accommodations. They should know if any places are rejecting rolling bags.
Why do you need two bags?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
This is not directed at anyone that has contributed (or kept their head down) in this thread.

However I think the implied question expresses one of the key dilemma of the modern Camino.

If you are wearing what you need for the day and carrying what you need for the next day ( and a bar of soap and a toothbrush for the in between bit) what is it that goes in the other bag?

Bag transport has made Camino accessible to many who for whatever reason could not carry their “life” in a bag. It has also produced a Camino accessible to those who just can’t let go of all their stuff. It has created a Camino where you can have austerity plus. Hike with the bare necessities. And have all those other necessities delivered wherever you want. Camino from Amazon Prime.

I can’t decide whether I think this is a good thing, a bad thing, or nothing. I am sure that at least one of the transporters will soon decide to start strutting their stuff 1 March instead of 1 April. Then the question will be whether there’s transport available in February 🤞

I actually enjoy carrying my own backpack. It makes me feel self sufficient and I am personally rewarded for the effort.
I always assumed (wrongly) that backpack/luggage transport was mostly used by those who suffer from shoulder, back, hip, knee or foot pain from arthritis or some other issue. It now seems to be growing into an attitude of "why bother carrying your own backpack when you don't have to".
I am not being critical of those who use backpack transport whatever their motivation, and I may need assistance myself one day if I want to continue walking these pilgrimage paths. I am just noticing what appears to be a shift over the last 5+ years as I see this trend blossoming.

I always assumed (wrongly) that backpack/luggage transport was mostly used by those who suffer from shoulder, back, hip, knee or foot pain from arthritis or some other issue. It now seems to be growing into an attitude of "why bother carrying your own backpack when you don't have to".

Yes, many seem to have that attitude. I met a woman recently who is going to walk the Portuguese Camino in September with some friends (the friends are organizing it). She joined me and a friend who walked the Francés last year for a local hike. It was a rainy day, so my friend brought her Altus. She and I told the "newbie" how the Altus was made to cover your backpack, and she said "Don't you just get your backpack sent ahead?" which I presume she thought was the norm for the Camino. I just said that you can, but I prefer to carry everything with me.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am planning to use Correos for my May/June Camino. I was planning to transport a carryon-sized rolling bag because I will be walking with a backpack. I really don’t want to travel with two backpacks (one to transport and one to walk with).
This makes perfect sense to me. If you know that you aren't able to carry your full backpack with everything that you need in it (I'm talking essentials, not 4 changes of clothes and the kitchen sink ), it doesn't make sense to bring two backpacks! I think that what I might do in this situation is to bring a backpack large enough to hold everything, along with a packable duffel bag to offload heavy items to transport as needed. That way, you only have the one backpack to deal with as your are traveling on planes, trains, and buses.

When I walk alone or with Joe, I carry my pack.
When I take a group, we use pack transport and I generally send mine along too.
Well, more often than not I carry my backpack and send ahead a China Bag with my sleeping bag and bath gear.
I prefer to have my pack with me, but when I have a group, I'm carrying things I wouldn't normally carry.
In my deepest heart, I feel something's lost when a person sends ahead their pack.
On the other hand it's always been that way - people who could afford to have hired someone to take their goods. I feel it's a nice thing if a person can't carry their pack - I remember being judgmental my first Camino and being judged my last. I'm a little conflicted...
But all in all, I agree with Tinker. The Camino, like the world, is becoming something different.

Yes, many seem to have that attitude. I met a woman recently who is going to walk the Portuguese Camino in September with some friends (the friends are organizing it). She joined me and a friend who walked the Francés last year for a local hike. It was a rainy day, so my friend brought her Altus. She and I told the "newbie" how the Altus was made to cover your backpack, and she said "Don't you just get your backpack sent ahead?" which I presume she thought was the norm for the Camino. I just said that you can, but I prefer to carry everything with me.
Wow, things have really changed since I last walked about 8 years ago. That being said, I also like to carry my backpack--but of my 3 trips, on one I was so sick that I couldn't carry it. And years ago there was prejudice against those who didn't carry their backpacks--ie: looks from others and occasional albergues that didn't allow non backpack carriers to stay there.
I'm glad for the service in that it allows those who can't (or prefer not to) carry there backpack, to still walk this incredible trail.
Buen Camino to all!!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
We used our backpacks on our previous 2 Caminos, and used Jacotrans on part of the last one. We stayed in private albergues and saw suitcases awaiting pickup nearly every morning when we took our packs downstairs. I contacted Jacotrans recently about their suitcase requirements for our upcoming 2023 Camino and was told it just needs to be under 15kg.

People have suitcases for different reasons and shouldn’t be judged for not having a backpack. We will use a medium suitcase this year since my husband just had major shoulder surgery. We will also be traveling for several weeks in Europe before walking the Camino for a few more weeks (mix of Camino & street clothes/shoes).

This is not directed at anyone that has contributed (or kept their head down) in this thread.

However I think the implied question expresses one of the key dilemma of the modern Camino.

If you are wearing what you need for the day and carrying what you need for the next day ( and a bar of soap and a toothbrush for the in between bit) what is it that goes in the other bag?

Bag transport has made Camino accessible to many who for whatever reason could not carry their “life” in a bag. It has also produced a Camino accessible to those who just can’t let go of all their stuff. It has created a Camino where you can have austerity plus. Hike with the bare necessities. And have all those other necessities delivered wherever you want. Camino from Amazon Prime.

I can’t decide whether I think this is a good thing, a bad thing, or nothing. I am sure that at least one of the transporters will soon decide to start strutting their stuff 1 March instead of 1 April. Then the question will be whether there’s transport available in February 🤞
I’m sorry why does it matter whether or not someone has their bag transported for them or for that matter what they put it in……look at your own journey and leave others to theirs.
I have talked to many pilgrims who have been made to feel guilty for having their bag transported…….honestly the guilt and shame needs to be put on those questioning others for doing so. On my first Camino I carried my backpack but now I have health issues that prevent it so I carry a small backpack for my lunch, water etc. and have the rest transported…….it doesn’t change the experience of my pilgrimage in any way.

I’m sorry why does it matter whether or not someone has their bag transported for them or for that matter what they put it in……look at your own journey and leave others to theirs.
I have talked to many pilgrims who have been made to feel guilty for having their bag transported…….honestly the guilt and shame needs to be put on those questioning others for doing so. On my first Camino I carried my backpack but now I have health issues that prevent it so I carry a small backpack for my lunch, water etc. and have the rest transported…….it doesn’t change the experience of my pilgrimage in any way.
I whole heartedly agree, could not not have put it better myself.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am frequently amused by the notion that somehow sending packs changes the caminoexperience. The whole thing is ridiculous. If you feel better about yourself because you carry a pack…great!

But for all of you purists who think that it somehow lessens the camino experience if one or others use a baggage service, maybe it is time to just walk back onto wilderness trails where one has to carry their pack.

If using a pack makes the camino more “meaningful” Then why not stop getting those cafe lattes, being served meals and wine every night, taking hot showers daily, getting massages, visiting supermarkets in most towns, getting medical care when needed. You don’t get those things in the backwoods either🤪! Let us stop this nonsense

Last edited:
@Annabellesjourney I’d assumed as you’d tagged my post that you had read it. “I can’t decide whether I think this is a good thing, a bad thing, or nothing.”
I have no opinion of those who have their luggage transported. With a spinal displacement and a heart condition I’ve availed myself of the same for some of the steeper bits.
I’ve no interest in the motives of others. Guilt? Now that is an interesting response to a personal decision. A pilgrim’s road to the bones of one who may have touched the divine is theirs and theirs alone.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
Hi - I've been waiting to book 2 June from Santiago dC to Madrid - finally the tickets are out! Funnily enough the luxury seats were cheaper than economy seats, so I took one.
We are leaving May 4th for the Camino, starting in Ponferrada. I tried online to book the Correos Pac Monchila luggage transfer service and it provided a drop down list box of specific...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.