• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lugguage Transfer on the Portuguese Way from Porto to Santiago

archie645

Time of past OR future Camino
camino de Frances 2017
I have booked my pensions/hotel/albergues and need to ship my bag. What is the most economical way to do this? Do I just do it day by day and put money in an envelop or are there more efficient ways to do this. How much does it cost daily? Any recommended transport companies?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Archie

Tuitrans is a very reliable company that does transport between Porto and Santiago. You can book them online for all stages or day by day. Prices vary according to the lenght of stages, but it used to be something between 5 and 9 euros/day.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I used Tuitrans in May this year and was satisfied. They replied to my inquiries within 24 hours.

It offers two options:
1. By the trip - I provided a list of hotels in advance and a quote was provided.

As such, I paid in full in advance, but I didn't need to call them every day. (Some of the hotels on CP did not have receptionists calling for me, unlike I was on CF in 2017. The downside is that I had lost the flexibility to change hotels along the way.

2. Day by Day - One has to call them to pick up their luggage for the next day.

Tui trans were good. We used them in May on the Spanish section of our Portuguese walk. Bookings can be made, day by day basis , book online before 8pm (I think) . They confirm on line as well.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
So I gather there are no backpack transfer services within Portugal. You have to cross the border into Spain to get service. Correct?

I think they exist in Portugal but we didn't need to use them.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We did the coastal Portuguese twice, in 2018 and again this year, using Tuitrans both times. They provided very good service. We particularly liked their flexibility. In each case, we did the book-by-trip option, where we provided a preliminary itinerary, but they allowed changes along the way. For example, in 2018, my wife came down with food poisoning in Pontevedra and we had to revise the rest of our itinerary to Santiago. Tuitrans had no problem adjusting their schedule and were quite nice about it. I describe all that in our Amazon book Sauntering to Santiago: The Camino de Santiago for Slow Walkers. We also made some major changes this year by switching the beginning of our last 100 km from Valença to Vigo. Again, Tuitrans handled it all smoothly. A final note: they are also able to cover the Spiritual Variant, which we did this year.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back