Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lugo-Santiago

Javier Martin

Veteran Member
Hi,

Just a few words to tell you that between Thursday and Saturday I've been walking between Lugo and Santiago. I took the Palas choice, so if any of you have any questions about this Camino I will try to answer you about.

I read in a local newspaper that the Pilgrims Office was filling more that 800 Compostelas a day

Sil, the Southafrican group arrived in Santiago yesterday.

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Well done Javier.
800 per day - that fits in with Holy Week. April numbers will be huge again this year.

Hi,
We are a family of 3 doing our first camino in the last week of April. We are planning to walk from Lugo to Santiago. Can you tell me about the good albergues along the way and what will the weather be like?
Sheila.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
taugustine said:
Hi,
We are a family of 3 doing our first camino in the last week of April. We are planning to walk from Lugo to Santiago. Can you tell me about the good albergues along the way and what will the weather be like?
Sheila.

Hi, Sheila,

There's several options beginning in Lugo and I'm not sure about which one you are interested in:

1) Lugo-Palas de Rei (35 km)
2) Lugo-Melide (52 km)
3) Lugo-Sobrado (47 km)

I walked Lugo-Palas de Rei and there's an albergue (San Roman de Retorta) 19 km after Lugo. All the distance is by the road and if you continue by it you arrive in Palas after 16 km. But, to get the albergue you have to leave the road and after 1 km you find the albergue. If you follow the arrows, it is about 20-22 km. to get to Palas. I took the option that leaves the road, longer but much beautiful (in my opinion) to arrive in Palas in just one day.

About the second choice, is too long for me and I suppose for everybody. I'm not sure if it's possible to stay in San Roman and after that to walk 33-35 km. to Melide.

The third choice lets you to stay in Friol (23 km) but there's no albergue, only any pension or hostal. From Sobrado you arrive in just one day to Arzúa.

From Palas, Melide and Arzúa there's enough albergues every few km, it's the Camino Frances.

But, being your first Camino, is this the best option? May be another Camino is a better choice. And, if you are not really interested in the Compostela, may be you can begin more far from Santiago (this is just an opinion to avoid all people that walks just the last 100 km. to earn the Compostela in the Camino frances).

About weather, should be rainy, neither hot nor cold, who knows exactly? If you are going to walk just four days you can imagine it looking for it in http://www.inm.es

Buen Camino,
´
Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

Hi Javier,
Thank you for the useful information. We are reconsidering and perhaps will walk from Sarria to Santiago as we are interested in the Compostela. Can we get the pilgrims passport from Sarria?
Thanks again,
Sheila.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Sheila - how about the Camino Ingles? Not as crowded as the Sarria to Santiago route, lots of info on the Forum, downloadable guide book on the CSJ website and it is the right distance to earn a Compostela.

If you´re already booked into Lugo, take the train or bus a few km. to Baamonde, and walk from there along the Camino del Norte south to Miraz, Sobrado, and Arzua or Sta. Irene, where you´ll join the Frances. That will qualify you for the Compostela, and you´ll see some lovely, lonesome mountain country along the way.

Reb.

Hi,

Just a few words to tell you that between Thursday and Saturday I've been walking between Lugo and Santiago. I took the Palas choice, so if any of you have any questions about this Camino I will try to answer you about.

I read in a local newspaper that the Pilgrims Office was filling more that 800 Compostelas a day

Sil, the Southafrican group arrived in Santiago yesterday.

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

hi

We are a group of 4 ready to doing our first camino this year. We are planning to walk from Lugo to Santiago. Do we have qulify to get the certification when we finish the walk

Bryant

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Welcome to the forum.
Lugo to Santiago is just enough to qualify, the 100km is from the city, but you must be sure to get your first sello in Lugo itself. There are many more places now to stop as this is an old thread. I suggest that you check out gronze for more details. Terry walked to Melide and later, together, we walked to Palas de Rei as there was no albegue at As Seixas then. Now with more albergues things have changed, making most stages shorter, although I think the first. albergue after Lugo is still at San Roman, where there are both municipal and private albergues. The private one takes orders for food too, for both I think.

You have to visit Sobrado.. Its a jewel on the Camino.
This is on the Norte so needs a diversion which I think is nearly all road walking. I agree it is amazing but it is a long distance from Ferreira to Sobrado and I am not sure if there is any accommodation in between.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
This is on the Norte so needs a diversion which I think is nearly all road walking. I agree it is amazing but it is a long distance from Ferreira to Sobrado and I am not sure if there is any accommodation in between.

Nope there is a lot of Rural walking, you have both Options. The Route from Lugo to Friol following the green arrows was one of the must stunning walks I ever took, esp the First 9km.

Here is the wikilock of the walk.
http://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=13697001

Also Friol is a great place to stay and eat.

From Friol to Sobrado you have the "option" of the rural countryside path or the road. If you are walking during a dry period then the country path is really nice. The problem when I walked was the half foot of mud .. not practical.

As for Sobrado.. it was well worth the effort, its not on the French route but its fare better than anything you will find from Sarria to Santiago. So glad I walked there.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back