Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lugo - The Green Way - Finishing on Del Norte

nuri_cze

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Primitivo (2019)
Buen Camino, peregrinos!

I've recently read through a few diaries of other pilgrims and noticed that some people recommend leaving Lugo on the Green Way, connecting Friol and the Primitivo with Camino Del Norte. Most of the pilgrims who have went this way praised it for forests and lushness as instead the way through Melide has been called "dry".

I'm walking in the last week of June and the beginning of July, therefore temperatures and sunburn are a concern, as well as Pilgrim numbers.

Therefore, my question is - would you recommend the Green Way? Do you think there will be more opportunity to get an albergue on the Del Norte trail rather than on the co-jointed Francés / Primitivo past Melide?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Buen Camino, peregrinos!
I've recently read through a few diaries of other pilgrims and noticed that some people recommend leaving Lugo on the Green Way, connecting Friol and the Primitivo with Camino Del Norte. Most of the pilgrims who have went this way praised it for forests and lushness as instead the way through Melide has been called "dry".
Many people recommend the Camiño Verde but it is unfair to qualify the way through Melide as "dry" because is also green.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The main draw to this detour that connects the Primitivo to the end of the Norte is that it avoids some of the Camino Frances. The Camino Frances, especially from Sarria to Santiago is becoming very popular and at times oversubscribed. This situation is made worse by the larger seasonal crowds from June through the first-half of September.

Many folks doing the Primitivo will take the detour just outside of Lugo to follow the green marked route through Friol and to Sobrade dos Monxes. There, the detour joins the final day or two of the Camino de Norte.

From there, you can choose to follow one of three routes that all intersect the Camino Frances at different points. IMHO, the 'best' of three routes to follow is the one that drops you are Lavacolla. This is the westernmost point along the Camino Frances you can join the main flow, before entering Santiago.

The Wise Pilgrim Guides and App for the Norte contains a thorough description of how to end the Norte at the Frances using one of the three routes.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Maybe this helps:

Camino Verde runs from Lugo (on the Primitivo) to Sobrado dos Monxes (on the Del Norte). Between Lugo and Sobrado you can spend the night in Friol.

- Lugo - Friol: 24.7 km.
- Friol - Sobrado dos Monxes: 24.2 km.
- Sobrado dos Monxes - Arzúa: 22.0 km.

Accomodation:
- Friol: Casa Benigno: http://casabenigno.com/pension
- Sobrado dos Monxes and Arzúa: various: https://www.gronze.com/etapa/sobrado-dos-monxes/arzua

After Arzúa: continue on the Frances.

Alternative
11.4 km. after Sobrado dos Monxes the Camino del Norte runs through the village of Boimorto. At this point you can continue the main route to Arzúa to join the Frances. Instead you can also take an alternative route, which joins the Frances at the town of O Cruceiro, which is about 6 km. west of Arzúa. The Albergue de Peregrinos Boimorto has printed information about this alternative route.

The hospitalero in Boimorto recommended this route to me as I talked to him about my reluctance to join the crowds on the Frances. So I've walked this alternative route in 2016 and really liked it. Although the route is on small asphalt roads (there is hardly any traffic), I really enjoyed the extra peacefulness before joining the crowded Frances. This way I spent only 1 night on the Frances before arriving in Santiago (instead of 2 nights if I would have walked to Arzua, or 3 nights if you walk the Primitivo from Melide).

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back