Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lugo to Palas de Rei / Melide accommodation still lacking?

notion900

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
>
Hi there, I am looking at my CSJ guide (2006) and updating it from all the excellent information on the website and in this forum.

One question remains: it says that the accommodation on the section of the Primitive from Lugo to where it joins the Frances is very scarce, with big distances involved. Can anyone update me on any developments since the guide was published? I have previously walked the Frances, and I stayed at Palas de Rei Xunta refuge and the one at Ribadiso, so I know that section, and I would quite like to stay off the Frances for as long as possible to avoid the crowds, so Melide route would be preferable.
Many thanks

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I just found out that there is a new xunta refuge at San Roman de Retorta but any further options would be welcome.

Hi notion900
There is an albergue in San Roman de retorta about 750 mts after the Bar on the Via Romana. 12 places but very basic. The phone number for Senor Jamie Lopez at the bar / small shop is 982 160 016. This is last year's info - if anyone has something up to date perhaps they will post. I enjoyed the walk over the top to Melide even tho it was raining. Including a welcome cafe con leche at Casa Mapi in Hospitals - look out for the FRIENDLY dogs!!!

Blessings on your walking
Terry

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have stayed at a publicly owned albergue in San Roman de Retorta. It was about 1 km out of town in a beautiful wooded site where some large livestock market used to take place, I think. It's very small, with beds for 10-12 and a little kitchen in the middle of two bedrooms.

When I was there, in 2008, the albergue was newly opened and was designated as "provisional", suggesting that a new (bigger?) one was being constructed. But I haven't seen any news that anything else has opened there. So, by "new", I take it you mean the small place where I stayed. If so, I recommend it highly, it's a beautiful site. The bar in town sells basic food for cooking (pasta, cans of meat/tuna, etc) and will also make you a meal.

Another option between Lugo and Melide is the private casa rural Casa do Ponte. It's about 7 km beyond San Roman. I didn't stay there but ate a good breakfast there.
Buen camino, Laurie

I didn't see any other options other than those already mentioned. I liked the albergue at San roman - wouldn't call it basic - good bathroom and nice kitchen. From memory, you need to phone ahead and book breakfast at the Casa Rural. There is a very friendly local who offers pilgrims a cup of coffee at her home some hours after that point too. She even paints a lovely coloured "sello" into your credenciale.

Cheers, janet

Laurie and Janet were through San Roman the year before me, I walked in May 2009, it was closed then but I believe it is open now. You need to check in Lugo. I stayed at the Casa da Ponti after phoning up from Lugo because at that time there was doubt about the availability of the albergue (they were still working on it when I went through). The number for the Casa da Ponti is I think 982 18 30 77. They do an excellent breakfast - I was the only guest and very well looked after!

blessings
Terry

Just a correction on Terry's post. I stayed at St Roman in late September 2009. (around about the 26th I think). I have been trying to remember how many beds there were as it seemed to me there were more than a dozen people staying and indeed I wonder if there may have been 16 beds - 8 in each dormitory - but I can't remember for sure on that one.

The hospitalero does not stay on sight but comes there at about 6.00po.m.

Cheers, Janet

From my spanish 2010 guidebook (from caminosantiago2010.es):

Al lado del puente romano:
Casa de Ponte. Tel 982 183 077 / 982 214 580.
Habitaciones doubles entre 40 y 50 € (I guess thats wrong, rather 5€ ?)
Ofrecen cenas y desayunos.

(-a second phone number) 40 in double rooms ? and offering dinner and breakfast...

Pax
Øyvind

I think that you have mis-interpreted the Casa de Ponte. It is not a refuge but more like a bed and breakfast thus
Habitaciones doubles entre 40 y 50 € (I guess thats wrong, rather 5€ ?)
I interpret that the cost is between 40 - 50 Euros for a double room. If you are looking for cheaper accomodation the albergue at St Roman has typical albergue rates.

Regards, Janet

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Albergue de peregrinos de San Román da Retorta

* Dirección: San Román da Retorta. Se encuentra 800 metros más adelante del Mesón, en la variante de la vía romana.
* Localidad: San Román da Retorta (Lugo)
* Teléfono de contacto: 628 17 34 56 / 638 96 28 07
* Propiedad del albergue: Xunta de Galicia
* Impresión general:
o Estado de conservación: Bien. Inaugurado en enero de 2008
* Disponibilidad del albergue: Todo el año
* Precio: 5 euros
* Plazas
o Plazas totales: 12
o Nº de plazas en litera: 12
o Nº de plazas en suelo:
o Nº de colchones en suelo:
o Nº de camas:
o Descripción de habitaciones: Una sala
o Reserva de plaza en el albergue: No
o Condiciones de admisión para acceder al albergue: Ser peregrino con credencial
o Hora de apertura: 13:00
o Hora de cierre: 22:00
o Posibilidad de salir o no cuando se cierra: No

Thanks Janet, yes I didn't read close enough in my guide nor the discussion. But no everybody know the Casa da Ponte is expensive thou… :?

May of importance: According to the informational list from Falcon about the albergue in San Román da Retorta: The 2010-guide has another phone number for the San Román de Retorta:
686 226 129 (Jorge) “Su responsable es Jorge y el teléfono 686 226 129”

Pax
Oyvind

Just a couple more things on the San Roman albergue. I agree with whoever said that "basic" wasn't a good adjective. This small albergue has a modern kitchen, which was fully stocked with cooking utensils and two small bedrooms, one on either side with 3 bunks each. The modern bathrooms are outside and around on the side. In fact, I would say it was one of the nicest albergues I've ever stayed in -- its location is great if you're feeling contemplative, lots of shade and space.

I'm not sure about the phone numbers, but calling might be a good idea because when I was there the hospitalero drove out from Lugo, and I'm not sure he would have done that if no one had called.
Buen camino, Laurie

Most read last week in this forum

I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.