Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lugo to Santiago recently (2014?)

AnnaG

So many Caminos; so little time.
Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese Caminho from Porto-Santiago late September/early October 20 2013
Hi! I'm considering taking my twin nieces in late June 2015 Lugo to Santiago. We're going on a 100-k Camino for certain; still researching routes. Anyone done this route recently and can fill me in on the basics? Terrain, people, places to stay. I'm not looking for the perfect experience, just the one that I believe will be the best 'first' for my nieces (age 13 by June 2015). I've read that Ourense to Santiago is the most beautiful of all the final 100ks... ??

Since the Primitivo links with Frances, I'm wondering how that unfolds? Just the last two days, right?

Thanks for input!

Buen Caminho!

Anna

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I've read that Ourense to Santiago is the most beautiful of all the final 100ks... ??
I did the last 100km of the five routes into Santiago in one trip. The Camino Frances was the most beautiful of the five in my opinion. The others had benefits, but did not surpass in beauty. For a first camino the hustle and bustle of Sarria to Santiago may fascinate young people, and there certainly will more teens on it than the other routes. It also has the advantage of the choice of stopping points and stage length, something that can be sorely lacking on the other routes. Teens like commonality. Oldsters like to feel unique, while teens like to feel the same. Should they encounter another teen who has walked the Camino, it is unlikely that it will have been anything other than the Camino Frances. To be able to share "war stories" about the Camino, you have to have seen the same things from a different perspective. For kids, that won't be the Camino Primitivo. :)

@AnnaG - although for us the Inglés and Primitivo are best the distances are dictated by the availability of accomodation. On the Inglés it is possible to make 16km days if staying at Meson do Vento and accepting the taxi service from and returning to Casa Julia or Leiro. (see Inglés thread too)

From Lugo, on the Primitivo, the first day is a non-optional 20kms to San Roman de Retorta and unless staying in the private albergue and booking your evening meal you also have to carry your supplies. There is a bar in San Roman, approx 1km before the albergues, but if that is closed for any reason there is nothing else. On the Frances accommodation is more frequent and there are more bars, but also many more people vying for the services.
Maybe your decision will have to rest on both the capabilities of the youngsters and their expectaions of people, places etc - Which camino calls to them?

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I agree with falcon on this one. I have walked all of these routes into Santiago and was just back on the Francés this past July. I marveled many times at how I had forgotten how beautiful the scenery was. I joined the Francés in Ponferrada and enjoyed every step.

Though I love the Primitivo-Salvador combination, in fact it´s probably my all time favorite, the part from Lugo isn´t really that beautiful in terms of scenery. At least in my opinion. It is not that hard to avoid the Francés rush when you join from the Primitivo, though. If you spend your last night on the Primitivo in Ponte Ferreira, then walk the next day through Melide and on to Boente, you can avoid some of the craziness, because Boente doesn´t have beds for many more than 50 or 60 pilgrims. I even found I could avoid the last day´s madness by continuing on past Arca do Pino and sleeping outside Lavacolla in the beautiful little place Casa de Amancio.

All in all, I would say that the last 100 km are not the scenic high points of any Camino, but they are all enjoyable. The Portugués might also be worth a look. Buen camino, Laurie

Hi AnnaG,

I walked and wrote a daily blog with pictures about the Portuguese (Jun/Jul) and Primitivo (Oct) this year. The pictures might give you a sense of the trail, as with Mydestinationgalicia's videos from the above post.

www.followingthearrows.com

I agree with the others that if it's the last 100km, I recommend the Frances... There'll be more people to interact with for you and your nieces and plenty of accom options as well as cafes at regular intervals and it is a lovely walk.

Buen camino!

Kat

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Can I throw a spanner in the works? Camino San Salvador was the favourite for my kids - at 120km, it is close to your preferred 100. They found the actual walking of this route most interesting - views, type of terrain.....And there would be nothing stopping you taking a bus to Santiago at the end if you were so inclined - although the cathedral in Leon is just as fantastic in a different way anyway (and there's one in Oviedo too)

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back