Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lugo to SdC: does anyone know of a route that avoids the CF from Melide onwards?

Time of past OR future Camino
2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017,2018, (2019)
I have a friend who is walking the Primitivo currently. He asked if there is a route from Lugo to SdC that avoids the Francés route mostly/totally from Melide (or before). He appreciates it may be considered off-camino and he may well have to rely on private accommodation. Any ideas will be passed on. Thank-you!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I believe there is. If you use the search option and look for the Camino Verde...it goes from Lugo to Sobrado dos Monxes via Friol (?). You then join in at Arzua only a day out from SdC. I'm contemplating that route in October. Apparently not too badly marked.

Check this thread: Crossing from Primitivo to Norte - Yes You Can!
You don't have to go to Arzua.At Boimil which is the next town after Sobrado instead of turning to the left for Arzua you can take the road to the right which is now officially signposted.It is a straight walk of about 10 kms on a road which doesn't have too much traffic.You will arrive at a crossroad and there you have the choice of turning left and then right to go to Santa Irène.This is signposted or you take the road directly opposite which means you join the camino much further along.As I said before thèse routes are now officially signposted.

I’m another Camino Verde fan. I haven’t tried the extra detour to Santa Irene, but sems like a great option. This thread has some more information about it.

Another alternative is of course to take a bus from Lugo to Ferrol for the Inglés! We met some people in 2015 who did just that.

Hi @Mournes, have you walked the Santa Irene alternative? Last year The Beloved and I were stopped by a local in Boimil and told the route was pelegriso (dangerous) because of the traffic. Arzua was a bit of a shock after the, relative, quiet of the Primitivo/ Verde / Norte combi but it still has my favourite Meson in the whole of Spain.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi tincatinker.Yes I walked from Boimil to Santa Irene when it wasn't officially waymarked.I had stopped in a cafe in Boimil and the owner gave me a handwritten map of the route.I ate the best bacon sandwich ever in his café.From my experience there was very light trafic on this road..Last year I walked it again and it is officially waymarked.I don't like walking on roads which have lots of traffic and I found it the same as the first time ,light traffic.I would have no hesitation in walking this alternative route again.It is very well waymarked.

Hi tincatinker.Yes I walked from Boimil to Santa Irene when it wasn't officially waymarked.I had stopped in a cafe in Boimil and the owner gave me a handwritten map of the route.I ate the best bacon sandwich ever in his café.From my experience there was very light trafic on this road..Last year I walked it again and it is officially waymarked.I don't like walking on roads which have lots of traffic and I found it the same as the first time ,light traffic.I would have no hesitation in walking this alternative route again.It is very well waymarked.
I have to apologise I should have said Boimorto and not Boimil.The variant begins in Boimorto.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I have a friend who is walking the Primitivo currently. He asked if there is a route from Lugo to SdC that avoids the Francés route mostly/totally from Melide (or before). He appreciates it may be considered off-camino and he may well have to rely on private accommodation. Any ideas will be passed on. Thank-you!
I left lugo and took the camino verde. Green arrows all the way. Very quiet, few services but avoids Frances until last day for me in July. I liked it.
Sean
Ireland

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back