Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lugo to Sobrado not missing Santa Eulalia

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
Time of past OR future Camino
walking every day for the rest of my life
We want to go from Lugo to Friol and on to Sobrado....but we don't want to miss out on seeing Santa Eulalia. The "standard route" to Friol does not go via Boveda for the church so I just plotted it out on googlemaps for myself. It seems that the standard way to get from Friol to Sobrado is by road - if you know of a more interesting track, feel free to enlighten me.

Here's the link in case it might be of use to you.

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zolBt8rIFn5s.kJTP0SasT2_o

BTW, we are going to Melide after Sobrado and so that is on there too - you might prefer a different route.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Laurie,

Might you walk ad hoc cross country from the monastery at Sobrato to Boveda de Mera? Using small roads it is roughly 34k.

Happy planning/plotting!
MM

Hi, M,

I thought I'd move this to a different thread because I was kind of hijacking things. And it turns out that a little forum searching shows that others have already thought of this: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-not-missing-santa-eulalia.24326/#post-187590 So, @Kiwi-family, did you actually do this?

Seems that @amancio has also done this: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/santa-eulalia-de-boveda.30227/#post-257832

So, looks like I would walk the Camino out of Lugo, and stay on it till the turnoff onto LU-P-903. After Santa Eulalia, continue to Friol. Sleep there, then continue to Sobrado dos Monxes for the night.

Now I also remember some forum members who had a rough time on the Friol -Sobrado dos Monxes alternative, but they must have gotten tangled up in an off-road camino rather than alongside the country roads, because it looks very direct on google maps.

Any comments from people who have done this would be great, buen camino, Laurie

Screenshot 2016-02-23 14.36.09.png

Sounds good Laurie! Wish that I could dò it also.

MM

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Sounds good Laurie! Wish that I could dò it also.

MM
That would be great, you would love this place!

I was thinking that the downside of this alternative would be that I would miss the opportunity to meet @Juanma and stay at the Ponte Ferreira albergue. I've stayed there before but it was under the prior management, where the only food available was microwaveable pasta in a machine. It's a beautiful building and I've just seen too many pictures of that wonderful paella to be able to pass it by!

But I see on a post that it is also possible to go first to Ponte Ferreira and then detour off to Sobrado after that. Juanma, can you tell me anything about this route? It looks like there is a walking off-road route. That would be my preference -- Lugo to Ponte Ferreira to Sobrado dos Monxes to Salceda to Santiago.
Any advice or comments to report, anyone? Buen camino, Laurie

Screenshot 2016-02-23 15.01.49.png

Hi Laurie! Since you've done the Primitivo already a couple of times, I can understand that the idea of doing the Friol-Sobrado detour appeals to you; however, we (my two hospitalero mates and myself) are delighted to hear how much you would like to come here again :):):) We'd be sorry if you didn't ;)

Sorry, can't tell you much about that route from Ponte Ferreira to Sobrado; I guess you could use your smartphone (if you have an internet plan in Spain) to use googlemaps to follow the route; part of it follows roads and would be easy, but the part off-road is not so likely to be easy at all!: you might find some fenced paths, fields used by cows who won't let you walk near them, crops that you can not walk through, etc... Maybe... a bit risky? o_O

Another chance is to walk back from Ponte Ferreira about a mile and then take the road LU-231 North to Friol:

screen-shot.jpg

It is a less adventurous option (more road walking), but gives you the chance to visit the Friol castle (Fortaleza de San Paio de Narla), which is certainly interesting!

Feel free to ask any questions you want! Glad to help if I can! ;)

Hi Laurie! Since you've done the Primitivo already a couple of times, I can understand that the idea of doing the Friol-Sobrado detour appeals to you; however, we (my two hospitalero mates and myself) are delighted to hear how much you would like to come here again :):):) We'd be sorry if you didn't ;)

Sorry, can't tell you much about that route from Ponte Ferreira to Sobrado; I guess you could use your smartphone (if you have an internet plan in Spain) to use googlemaps to follow the route; part of it follows roads and would be easy, but the part off-road is not so likely to be easy at all!: you might find some fenced paths, fields used by cows who won't let you walk near them, crops that you can not walk through, etc... Maybe... a bit risky? o_O

Another chance is to walk back from Ponte Ferreira about a mile and then take the road LU-231 North to Friol:

View attachment 24184

It is a less adventurous option (more road walking), but gives you the chance to visit the Friol castle (Fortaleza de San Paio de Narla), which is certainly interesting!

Feel free to ask any questions you want! Glad to help if I can! ;)

Hi, and thanks, Juanma,

Some searching on wikiloc.com brought me to a GPS track of the way from Lugo to Sobrado (which is apparently marked with green arrows http://estradasecorredoiras.blogspot.com/2010/01/de-lugo-friol-entre-el-camino-primitivo.html ). Can you take a look at the track, and see what you think of what they show for the part past Narla? Looks like I could visit Narla and then turn left on a road that goes through the hamlets of Ordoñez, Eirexe (there must be a million places with that name in Galicia), Xiá, Fonteseca, etc.

The GPS track: http://es.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=1859567

Thanks, it's so much fun to think about these little detours! Buen camino, Laurie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Can you take a look at the track, and see what you think of what they show for the part past Narla? Looks like I could visit Narla and then turn left on a road that goes through the hamlets of Ordoñez, Eirexe (there must be a million places with that name in Galicia), Xiá, Fonteseca, etc.
Sorry Laurie, I don't know where that place called "Narla" you mentioned is... Narla is the name of the river that goes through Friol. What do you mean exactly, please?

Sorry Laurie, I don't know where that place called "Narla" you mentioned is... Narla is the name of the river that goes through Friol. What do you mean exactly, please?
Oops, sorry, I meant the castle that you recommended to me, Fortaleza de San Paio de Narla. I know that's a very annoying tendency of many of us in the US, to shorten names, in this case beyond recognition!

No problem!, I should have guessed! :)

The track does NOT pass by the castle, but pretty close, so I gues you can just detour a few hundred metres to the castle and then get back to the same spot and continue the track, why not? ;)

However, following this track would drive you away from staying with us at Ponte Ferreira :(

;)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
No problem!, I should have guessed! :)

The track does NOT pass by the castle, but pretty close, so I gues you can just detour a few hundred metres to the castle and then get back to the same spot and continue the track, why not? ;)

However, following this track would drive you away from staying with us at Ponte Ferreira :(

;)

Ok, so if I stay at Ponte Ferreira, walk up past the castle, wouldn't I then just keep going a little bit further and then join up with that track and turn left to go through those small places?

Just to say that after more playing around with maps and details, I am pretty certain that I have learned the best way to BOTH visit Santa Eulalia and stay at Sobrado dos Monxes on the days out from Lugo. But if I'm wrong, I'm always happy to be corrected by people with better information, so that I don't make a silly decision, so have at it.

My thought is that on Day 1 I would walk from Lugo to Ponte Ferreira, taking the Santa Eulalia detour that @Juanma posts on the Albergue Ponte Ferreira website: http://www.ponteferreira.com/2015/02/primitive-way-santa-eulalia-de-boveda/?lang=en Spend the night in Ponte Ferreira, then day two, the route from Ponte Ferreira to Sobrado is shown on a google map on post #5 on this thread. It will take you past one castle tower (Fortaleza de San Paio de Narla) and then turns left at a point where it joins up with the route from Friol, which is also visible on that Google map.

Assuming my dodgy knee is still cooperating this many weeks after my start on a Camino where the Ebro meets the Mediterranean, it is my hope to take this walk. Fingers crossed. Buen camino, Laurie

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back