• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lunch for Roncevalles walk

Lysandre

I will arrive in SJPDP next Tuesday in the morning.

Is it possible to buy a sandwich for the walk of Wednesday (Orisson to Roncevalles) at Refuge Orisson?
Or do i have to buy a lunch in SJPDP? If so, any ideas where?
I might have to eat lunch in SJPDP on Tuesday, is there afforable restaurants or cafes you have experienced?

Trying to plan the last details.. My backpack is ready.. I'm so nervous, panicked! I guess i'll be ok once i get there.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Lysandre said:

Is it possible to buy a sandwich for the walk of Wednesday (Orisson to Roncevalles) at Refuge Orisson?
I might have to eat lunch in SJPDP on Tuesday, is there afforable restaurants or cafes you have experienced?

Trying to plan the last details.. My backpack is ready.. I'm so nervous, panicked! I guess i'll be ok once i get there.

Lysandre,

I can not answer your question regarding Orisson since I have always walked the Valcarlos route to Roncevalles.

However in SJPdP all along the rue de la Citadelle,which is the main pilgrim street, there are many spots where you can get a sandwich, a crepe or simple meal. All have their menus posted outside.

Bon Appetite and Buen Camino!

Margaret

MSPATH I don't mean to highjack the treat but.... :oops: since you walked the Vancarlos route and since I'm planing to start my camino walk Oct 12 and that's one day too late for Orisson since they will close Oct 11 for the season, is that a place to stay half way between SJPDP and Roncevalles via Vancarlos or just march on thru?

Thanks
Zo

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Lysandre said:

Orisson offers a packed lunch to go for a small price, no problem. I stayed at Orisson last Sept, I am so envious, you will have a great adventure. Are you going all the way to Santiago?
Buen Camino
Eric

Hello, Lysandre! (and Hi, Eric!)

Yes, you should be able to buy a sandwich at Refuge Orisson. I did that in 2010 when I stayed overnight there. If I remember correctly, it was tomato and cheese (and ham was also available).

Last year I walked from SJPP to Roncesvalles in one day, but I stopped at Orisson to eat an early lunch... which was bread with tomato and cheese I'd bought in SJPP the night before :). There were several pilgrims who went inside and ordered a sandwich then, to eat later that day, and there were others like me who had bought food in SJPP and ate that.

As Margaret wrote, there are many places along the main street in SJPP where you can buy a meal. It was fun for me to walk past and look in the windows, read the menus and imagine what I'd choose! I went to a small grocery shop almost at the end of the street, however, and bought food to cook at the albergue (and for lunch).

Of course you will be ok when you get there! Feeling nervous is understandable, but it will all make sense and you can ask for help if you need to. You really can't get it wrong, and if you're anything like me, chocolate always helps ;).

Buen Camino!

Rachel (Caminoheart)

Attachments

• Orissonlunch.jpg
    Orissonlunch.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 877
  • Orissonlunch2.jpg
    Orissonlunch2.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 876
We had some great minestrone soup at Orisson and then ordered the usual ham cheese and tomato boccadilla to take up the hill with us (very long bread roll) which seems to be available in most places along the way. I recall it was still a very long walk from there to our beds in Roncesvalles so food is good in these situations

Ian

A selection of Camino Jewellery
To "zzotte"

The distance between St Jean Pied de Port and Valcarlos is approximately 11kms. Valcarlos has some accommodation, the municipal refuge in the Plaza de Santiago has 24 beds at 10euros; the Hotel Maitena has rooms at 33euros; and at the Hostal Casa Marcelino rooms cost 40-50euros.

Might be a good idea to get a guidebook, such as the Confraternity of St James Guide to the Camino Frances, as this will give you list of accommodation in each town and village: http://www.csj.org.uk

Think about carrying a small stash of snacks so the need to rely on finding someplace to buy lunch is deminished. Dried fruit , Chocolate , nuts , salami , dates . Also consider some packs of instant pasta so should the shops be closed , you will always have a meal at the end of the day ------------- and Hey! , Relax. :mrgreen: There will be plenty of other Pilgrims around , even mid October.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back