• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lunch options after Orrison

Joanne P

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances June 2018 & June 2023
Hi All

I see on the Orrison Albergue website that they sell sandwiches.
If we don't buy something there, are there places between Orrison and Ronscevalles to buy lunch?

Thanks in advance
Jo

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
As above. There were no food options on the day I walked it. There is however one water fountain (Fountaine de Roland), high up on the mountain, at the border between France and Spain. A good place to eat your packaged lunch bagette from Orrison. I chose the pate and it was delicious.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Buy a sandwich (bocadillo) at Orisson. There is indeed nothing between there and Roncesvalles. Also suggest carrying extra snacks in your bag - nuts, fruit etc. It's a long, calorie-requiring day.

Hi All

If we don't buy something there, are there places between Orrison and Ronscevalles to buy lunch?

Thanks in advance
Jo

You're basically walking over a mountain range Jo.
Ain't nothing after Orisson....:eek:
Best take a packed lunch ;)
If the weather is nice, it's an amazing walk!

Last edited:
I was happy that we packed sandwiches from SJPDP AND ate lunch at Orisson because we didn't arrive in Roncesvalle until late evening and it was good to have a snack to eat later in the day. Nothing between the two except beautiful scenery.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi All

Thanks in advance
Jo
No there are none. People tell me about this van, I never saw it!
If you know you're going to be hungry, pack something to eat on the way.

I bought food in SJPDP
baby bell cheeses worked great- not the best cheese in the world but the little waxed balls stayed fresh and did not dissolve in my pack despite high heat

There was a van when I came through on May 19, not much to choose from other than drinks. In SJPP, there are many food shops and an artisanal boulangerie for bread, that would be my choice...again. Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Walked from SJPdP to Roncesvalles a year ago today and there was nothing... nada... after Orisson 'til Roncesvalles. And even THAT was quite discouraging for two vegetarians who arrived about 6pm. No room in the dining halls. We sat in the bar (and I don't mean café) and felt lucky to get a couple of the ubiquitous bread rolls with a hunk of cheese on each (and nothing else). Bring food when you leave St Jean! And just always have something to nosh on in your pack every step of the way.

and if you walk at the end of Oct Orrison closes down at least a week before the napolean closes for the winter ,,, must take food from st jean !!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks everyone for your replies. All very much appreciated.
I figured that was going to be the case (as Robo said, we're walking over a mountain range). But I thought it best to confirm. :)

And just always have something to nosh on in your pack every step of the way.

Very good advice! Sometimes the day's walk takes longer than expected, you need an energy burst, or that little village up ahead where you planned to stop for a snack......has nothing open...

I always had some nuts, maybe chocolate, a couple of bananas, or sometimes a day old bread roll in the bottom of my pack. Something.... Never be without........something.

Same goes for water. You'll get used to your consumption. Always have a little in reserve, just in case that font you are relying on, is not working, dry .... that village has no store....

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
.......but my chocolate...........from Manjarin to Molinaseca. On a tough day, most people respond to chocolate and a little kindness.
You've nailed it! I well remember my friend and me pausing for a bit of chocolate on that beautiful but absolutely merciless descent. It made all the difference in the world. :)

Thanks everyone for your replies. All very much appreciated.
I figured that was going to be the case (as Robo said, we're walking over a mountain range). But I thought it best to confirm. :)

Joanne ,
If you have not realise you are walking 800 km by now something is wrong,
If you are worried by " Where is lunch" after Orrison , a 2 hours walk , then mate buy a bus ticket for home at Pamplona.
Lunch @ Burguete and stay the night.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Joanne ,
If you have not realise you are walking 800 km by now something is wrong,
If you are worried by " Where is lunch" after Orrison , a 2 hours walk , then mate buy a bus ticket for home at Pamplona.
Lunch @ Burguete and stay the night.[/Q

Seriously?? That's your reply?
Wow, aren't you delightful!
I am perfectly aware of what the Camino is, how far, and what I am taking on, thank you.
I am not "worried" about anything.
Excuse me for being excited and killing time with some forward research and planning.

Yours was a perfectly good question and lots of us enjoyed answering it. Preparation is such a fun time! Have a great camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

In June you would be commencing before 7.30am
Every bakery , shop etc in St Jean Pied de Port is open , you will walk past them.
After 7 km you are in Orisson its now 9.30am , latest 10 am
Whatever snack you purchased in STJPdP you can now get into , and please keep something for a few hours on when you start the decline.

For future reference , you can always arrive at a village , hamlet or city after 1.30pm- 2.00pm in Spain and still have lunch.
Only the tourists eat early and at night when in a great town stay in a hotel/pension and dine with the Spanish , this commences around 9pm and finishes ??:)
If you are in an alberque the doors close @ 10pm.:eek:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Joanne, I have 3 family members who are active duty military, one told me before I left for my Camino in May that they have a saying, "eat when you can and sleep when you can" they say that because they never know for sure when they will get to do either, next. I took this to heart and I learned that 2nd breakfast wasn't a joke. On the Camino, I found that I ate more often but I ate less and I did it really before I got hungry. I usually left before 1st breakfast so 5-10km I would stop and have my cafe con leche and a tortilla espanola or something, never anything big except the joy of sitting with my Camino friends. Later, I'd stop and have a banana and on longer days, I bought a bocadillo and snacked on it along the way. Often these were shared as they are huge. When we arrived at our destination for the day, we'd have a larger meal together. While everything else is usually closed down, the bars are almost always open to serve the Pilgrims. I usually carried something like fruit, bread or cheese just in case and I mentioned earlier, dark chocolate in my first aid kit. We usually ate our evening meal around 8:00, apparently we were "tourists" but tired tourists. You will also find that your body will tell you when to eat and it's not the leaned stomach growling, it's fatigue and you need to listen to that and not your stomach. For me, that response actually went away and I can't remember my stomach growling. So, be prepared with some snacks, eat when you're hungry and enjoy every moment of your Camino. Buen Camino!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
We usually ate our evening meal around 8:00, apparently we were "tourists" but tired tourists.

We found it very hard eating at 8 pm , the pilgrims 3 course dinner , and then trying to sleep on a full tummy.
We normally stopped at 1pm , 18---22 km's for us only , showered and then the big lunch.
Fruit salad and wine for dinner in village gardens.
However to enjoy the atmosphere of the tapas laneways in Pamplona ,Logrono , Burgos and or Leon we found a pension, hostel or hotel was the desired accommodation.
**Her Majesty's condition on walking all these years is every third day , upmarket sleep and wash.
The next day was normally short , deliberately so.
The one rule our family have stuck to in regards to military is every 2-3 hours , in that little coffee stop , change your socks and a bit more vaseline , no blisters last 8 years.

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back