• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Luxury Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
À chacun ses goûts/To each his own !
I wonder if/how these 2 vastly separate groups will ever meet and/or share any camino experience?

One cold December day east of Melide/near O Coto on the CF I wearily stopped for a second breakfast in the patio of a rather chic, but friendly, casa rural. A small van of tourists arrived and a few hyper-tidy ‘Sunday pilgrims’ with new walking sticks exited in order to sample the trail! Spotting my pack and shell they politely asked “How long have you been walking?” “48 days!” I answered. Stunned they dashed to the bar and never moved on....

Last edited:
I see no issue with that at all; if the funds have been come by honestly and suitably taxed one can spend the loot as one sees fit.

What I do take very considerable issue with is the designation of anyone as a ‘very important person’ - for any reason, as it happens - but absolutely if it’s simply on the basis of money.

I’ve no opinion on the relative status of various approaches to Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
À chacun ses goûts/To each his own !
I wonder if these 2 worlds will ever meet?
I think they meet all the time. In reality I think there is a huge spectrum of options rather than two distinct worlds. People pick and mix the "luxury" elements they want for their Camino journeys. The prices quoted in the article sound fairly modest compared to some. A tour company here in the UK is charging upwards of €1800 for an upmarket 7 days from Sarria to Santiago. Though that does include flights. Considerably more than I spent walking for a month from SJPDP in January.

A small van of tourists arrived and a few hyper-tidy ‘Sunday pilgrims’ with new walking sticks exited in order to sample the trail! Spotting my pack and shell they politely asked “How long have you been walking?” “48 days!” I answered. Stunned they dashed to the bar and never moved on....
On my second Camino I bumped into a Bavarian church group on their way to Santiago by coach. One lady told me very forcefully that solo walkers like me were not real pilgrims - a genuine pilgrimage meant going in church-sponsored parties accompanied by a priest to lead daily devotions.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
On my second Camino I bumped into a Bavarian church group on their way to Santiago by coach. One lady told me very forcefully that solo walkers like me were not real pilgrims - a genuine pilgrimage meant going in church-sponsored parties accompanied by a priest to lead daily devotions.
Phil had one of those church groups at Estella at the donativo. Two Italian pilgrims came to ask if there was room for the rest of the group. They were traveling with their priest and Phil did not carefully look at their credentials to see that they could not have possibly walked based on the distances between nights. As it turned out they were traveling by bus. He had already agreed, but was really sorry because they did not really know the etiquette of albergues such as quiet time, not eating the food of others, leaving at 8 a.m., etc. Obviously not a "luxury" camino if they stayed at the donativo overnight, but it was clear that there was divide in practices from our regular clientel.

I've also had groups want to stop and "tour" simple pilgrim accomodations. We are always polite and hospitable (offering a cold or hot drink) and allow this only if there are no pilgrims about so as not to intrude on privacy. We provide stamps when asked, but sometimes there is pity expressed for the foot pilgrim and sometimes outright surprise that things are clean, nice, and often cozy.

We do stay at luxury places from time to time on on the Camino (such as the Parador in Santo Domingo de la Calzada), but I prefer to make my own itinerary and arrangements for beds and meals. That is not for everyone though.

Phil had one of those church groups at Estella at the donativo. Two Italian pilgrims came to ask if there was room for the rest of the group.
I think the bus group I met were far too organised for that. All very well planned and arranged in advance. It was a large bus and full and no one in their right minds would have expected to find albergue space for them all with no warning. Especially not in 2002 when albergues were still fairly thin on the ground and usually quite small.

El Camino de Santiago de lujo, la nueva ruta que llena Lugo: pícnic, fotos y viajes incluidos - http://www.lavozdegalicia.es/notici...cnic-fotos-viajes/00031678297583956515380.htm

Story today in the paper about full service luxury Camino.
I don't judge anyone on how they wish to travel or to go on a camino route. But I had to stop reading this story because for me it was depressing. Another reason I walk late in the year and will be starting on the Vasco Interior and then the Portugues or maybe the Invierno in November/December. I will walk the Meseta from Burgos to Leon as I love it especially in cold months. In Leon I will decide where to go next. Next year looking at the Mozarabe and then back on the VDLP.
Remember I am not trying to provoke outrage or passing judgement. For me it is depressing to see and I know people are just trying to make a living and there is a market for this. Please, I am not an idiot.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
El Camino de Santiago de lujo, la nueva ruta que llena Lugo: pícnic, fotos y viajes incluidos - http://www.lavozdegalicia.es/notici...cnic-fotos-viajes/00031678297583956515380.htm

Story today in the paper about full service luxury Camino.
Sounds amazing! I wish I had known about it sooner. I contracted with Santiago ways to do a private trip for my sister and I, doing only 10 K a day and a better accommodation without shared rooms, our own bathroom and more meals with transport for bags because I will be in Europe for two months before and have a bigger bag. I’m surprised this wasn’t done earlier! I hope no one will be too critical. At my age, I like comfort and I don’t want to be woken up at 5 AM & hear snoring all night and use a shared bathroom, but I would still like to walk the country. this idea of a picnic and drinks waiting for me at the end of the day sounds like heaven. Buen Camino!

This newspaper often highlights local area businesses and restaurants. Not sure if there are other vendors with with similar options, but possibly. It isn't the kind of Camino adventure I want for myself, but there is certainly a market for this kind of thing as you point out.

You should have told her you archbishop thought differently.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Phil had one of those church groups at Estella at the donativo. Two Italian pilgrims came to ask if there was room for the rest of the group. They were traveling with their priest and Phil did not carefully look at their credentials to see that they could not have possibly walked based on the distances between nights. As it turned out they were traveling by bus. He had already agreed, but was really sorry because they did not really know the etiquette of albergues such as quiet time, not eating the food of others, leaving at 8 a.m., etc. Obviously not a "luxury" camino if they stayed at the donativo overnight, but it was clear that there was divide in practices from our regular clientel.

I've also had groups want to stop and "tour" simple pilgrim accomodations. We are always polite and hospitable (offering a cold or hot drink) and allow this only if there are no pilgrims about so as not to intrude on privacy. We provide stamps when asked, but sometimes there is pity expressed for the foot pilgrim and sometimes outright surprise that things are clean, nice, and often cozy.

We do stay at luxury places from time to time on on the Camino (such as the Parador in Santo Domingo de la Calzada), but I prefer to make my own itinerary and arrangements for beds and meals. That is not for everyone though.
We are only doing the last hundred kilometers, so we will stay at the Parador in Santiago de Compostela only. I would love to do more paradors on other routes in other years, but this is the only time my sister has had in four years because she is a nurse and has been working through Covid.

You should have told her you archbishop thought differently.
I think it was exactly the same tunnel vision which makes walkers declare that those who travel by other means cannot genuinely be pilgrims. Her journey was a pilgrimage. I did not and still do not have any problem with that. But her assumption was that pilgrimage could only have one valid form and expression. More common for us to see the other side of the same coin here on the forum but equally limited in understanding.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I see no issue with that at all; if the funds have been come by honestly and suitably taxed one can spend the loot as one sees fit.

What I do take very considerable issue with is the designation of anyone as a ‘very important person’ - for any reason, as it happens - but absolutely if it’s simply on the basis of money.

I’ve no opinion on the relative status of various approaches to Camino.
I am torn on this. I do agree that anyone can do a "Camino" or other adventure as they see fit. And I do make an effort to make no judgement. Yet - at the same time - I kind of feel sorry for them that they won't get the same kind of deep/meaningful experience that pilgrims have historically experienced. And yes - that is a very personal experience and everyone's experience can be a little different. But I also think they don't know what they are missing, therefore they will still have a great experience. They just won't really understand in the same way what walking (or bicycling) pilgrims experience. But - to each their own.

And yes - I have issue with them considered "VIP's". Not sure if people really see them as VIP's or if that is just the writer of the article. But it is the same as long distance pilgrims being considered more important than the last 100km pilgrims. No one should be viewed as "better" in any way than the others. I would hope that the locals continue to support/offer encouragement to those who are doing a more traditional pilgrimage on foot/bicycle/horseback.

My concern though is the more people who stay solely in private rooms and the more people paying for higher end Camino tourism... the economy could start shifting towards catering to them. No - I am NOT saying that staying in private rooms is negative (I love a private room here and there). And I am fine with people making the choice, whatever the reason, to stay in privates. But my concern is that as more people flock towards the Camino and towards private rooms - there could end up being less albergue beds down the line as businesses cater towards providing more private rooms instead of albergue beds. And with the influx if "richer" pilgrims, prices will likely start to reflect that - which could make it less affordable to those wishing to do longer distance pilgrimages. I just don't want to see a decline in affordable food and accommodations as a result of more people choosing "luxury" Camino experiences.

Anyhow - all these companies are great for those who need them or want their services. I just hope the old fashioned pilgrimage remains in reach and affordable for the masses.

I do not agree with the first couple of sentences in this article that states that the traditional pilgrim is or will be "eclipsed" by this type of experience. That is the type of comment that I would expect to read when a tour company is marketing not a local newspaper.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
"My concern though is the more people who stay solely in private rooms and the more people paying for higher end Camino tourism... the economy could start shifting towards catering to them."

Staying in solely private rooms does not necessarily mean paying for a "higher end" Camino. Last fall my husband and I walked the Camino Ingles and stayed in places like Pension A Cepa and Penzion Meson Paz. These two accommodations could hardly be considered luxury. The price of a private room for two people is not that much more than we would pay for two beds in an albergue, and we get our own bathroom. Maybe that is luxury! 🥾

"My concern though is the more people who stay solely in private rooms and the more people paying for higher end Camino tourism... the economy could start shifting towards catering to them."

Staying in solely private rooms does not necessarily mean paying for a "higher end" Camino. Last fall my husband and I walked the Camino Ingles and stayed in places like Pension A Cepa and Penzion Meson Paz. These two accommodations could hardly be considered luxury. The price of a private room for two people is not that much more than we would pay for two beds in an albergue, and we get our own bathroom. Maybe that is luxury! 🥾

@jeanineonthecamino I wouldn't worry about the shift depriving pilgrims of albergue accommodation. The relatively small capital involved for albergues and the nature of the work would attract former pilgrims with an entrepeneurial spirit-- we se many instances of this on the Francese. More upmarket accommodation (where I must confess I have enjoyed the lovely beds and bathrooms) cannot just rely on honeymooning pilgrims and prosperous elderly pilgrims yearning for their own bathroom, but also must attract Spaniards on weekend jaunts, as well as foreign tourists.

My problem with the tour groups is that they relate primarily to each other and miss out on the wonderful friendships which pilgrims make along the way, and the spontaneous greetings and serendipitous interactions with our Spanish hosts.

@Liltravlr *obeisance imoji* to your nurse sister, and may she enjoy aperitivos on plazas and a glass of orujo after dinner, far away from bells ringing and unexpected extensions of her shift. As well as paradores, there are some lovely casas rurales along the last 100km.

Well now you know! Next time drag a priest along. Especially if you are Catholic. I am Lutheran and our pastor is a foot shorter than I am and outweighs me. Think he would decline.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We are only doing the last hundred kilometers, so we will stay at the Parador in Santiago de Compostela only. I would love to do more paradors on other routes in other years, but this is the only time my sister has had in four years because she is a nurse and has been working through Covid.
The parador in Santiago is fantastic. And a luxury. Also you can stay at the monastery up through the tunnel (with the bag piper) and have an almost equally great experience for less $ if you’re willing to share a small room.

@jeanineonthecamino I wouldn't worry about the shift depriving pilgrims of albergue accommodation. The relatively small capital involved for albergues and the nature of the work would attract former pilgrims with an entrepeneurial spirit-- we se many instances of this on the Francese. More upmarket accommodation (where I must confess I have enjoyed the lovely beds and bathrooms) cannot just rely on honeymooning pilgrims and prosperous elderly pilgrims yearning for their own bathroom, but also must attract Spaniards on weekend jaunts, as well as foreign tourists.

My problem with the tour groups is that they relate primarily to each other and miss out on the wonderful friendships which pilgrims make along the way, and the spontaneous greetings and serendipitous interactions with our Spanish hosts.

@Liltravlr *obeisance imoji* to your nurse sister, and may she enjoy aperitivos on plazas and a glass of orujo after dinner, far away from bells ringing and unexpected extensions of her shift. As well as paradores, there are some lovely casas rurales along the last 100km.
Thank you🙏🏻 She is a beautiful person & a hard worker. I want to make things easy for her! When you say casa rurale, do you mean guest houses? Do you have any in particular you recommend?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Something tells me her expectations of others, and life in general, are rarely met.
What a strange thing to say about this woman from Bavaria on a group bus trip and pilgrimage. Bavaria is overwhelmingly Catholic and has perhaps the strongest uninterrupted pilgrimage tradition of all the German states. And pilgrimage means group pilgrimage in their centuries old tradition with priests and praying together and singing together. There’s a Bavarian Pilgrimage Office in Munich that was founded in 1925 and has been organising train and bus pilgrimages ever since - here’s a photo of their fleet in 1950. Compared to this, the Camino pilgrimage is still in its infancy … barely 30 years old. 😇.

1678582114506.jpeg

Last edited:
What a strange thing to say about this woman from Bavaria on a group bus trip and pilgrimage. Bavaria is overwhelmingly Catholic and has perhaps the strongest uninterrupted pilgrimage tradition of all the German states. And pilgrimage means group pilgrimage in their centuries old tradition with priests and prayers and singing. There’s a Bavarian Pilgrimage Office in Munich that was founded in 1925 and has been organising train and bus pilgrimages ever since - here’s a photo of their fleet in 1950. Compared to this, the Camino pilgrimage is still in its infancy … barely 30 years old. 😇.

I fully appreciate the background, but someone who announces to another they are not real pilgrims because they are walking solo is strange.

What a strange thing to say about this woman from Bavaria on a group bus trip and pilgrimage. Bavaria is overwhelmingly Catholic and has perhaps the strongest uninterrupted pilgrimage tradition of all the German states. And pilgrimage means group pilgrimage in their centuries old tradition with priests and praying together and singing together. There’s a Bavarian Pilgrimage Office in Munich that was founded in 1925 and has been organising train and bus pilgrimages ever since - here’s a photo of their fleet in 1950. Compared to this, the Camino pilgrimage is still in its infancy … barely 30 years old. 😇.

View attachment 142890
Actually, the camino has been a pilgrimage for ho

View attachment 142890
thank you for the history of Bavarian pilgrimages. Actually, the Camino de Santiago pilgrimages started in the 9th century. what little I know of it's long history is fascinating.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
the Camino de Santiago pilgrimages started in the 9th century
Sure. Although they didn’t call it the Camino de Santiago pilgrimage - they called it going to the good lord Saint James in Galicia … and I see a difference between growing up from childhood steeped in a tradition that has been alive for centuries and is still a living tradition today and a tradition that one has acquired from watching a 10 year old movie or joining a 15 year old local chapter of a Camino association. Or a 20 year old Internet forum for that matter. 😇

View attachment 142890

I see 1950 here on the picture. The same period local Belgian " travelcompanies " started organised pilgrimages by bus , mainly to Lourdes in France.
This was of course for those who could afford it to go to abroad for a week.
For those with lesser financial reserve there were and still are bustrips to Belgian Banneux for worship.

I told it here many times but will gladly repeat it : When my grandmother was around eighty and not able to walk anymore she went with the Women's Association by bus to Banneux to give praise to our Holy Mary.
She might have walked only 200 meters from the parkinglot to the grotto but in my eyes , and certainly in the eyes of the God she believed in, she was a truer and better Catholic than I will ever be ( not that this is my goal).

The key of any pilgrimage is intention, so I have never understood some snarky responses on the forum about those who walk " only " from Sarria or those who get their packs transported.

The key of any pilgrimage is intention, so I have never understood some snarky responses on the forum about those who walk " only " from Sarria or those who get their packs transported.
I agree. Of all the major Christian pilgrimage sites it only seems to be Santiago which has acquired this dubious notion that pilgrimage = walking exclusively. Or that those who walk a longer distance than the majority are intrinsically more worthy. Some time ago someone posted here on the forum that he felt those who walked significantly more than the minimum 100km for a Compostela should be given a separate priority queue at the pilgrim office :-( . I think the decision to impose a 100km minimum distance for receiving a Compostela was ill-conceived and contributes to misunderstanding of the nature of pilgrimage. The more recent decision to grant it only to those who walk certain specified routes merely reinforces a very narrow interpretation of what a pilgrimage is.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We are only doing the last hundred kilometers, so we will stay at the Parador in Santiago de Compostela only. I would love to do more paradors on other routes in other years, but this is the only time my sister has had in four years because she is a nurse and has been working through

Go on booking.com. Not sure how far you plan to walk each day.?
Read a number of reviews, also check themon Trip advisor for reviews.

In small townsyou may not find Luxury digs, but good comfortable accomodations.

Here are a few that I recommend and have stayed at and all have private bathrooms,if you can get arivate room then?

Sarria
Alfonso IX
in Sarria on booking.com. A bitold but great location and pool

Casa Barbadelo (bare bones rooms - not luxury) but swimming pool and decent to good food) 4 km past sarria contact the via internet for reservation

Portomarin

Hotel Ferramenteiro de Portomarin​

RECTORAL de LESTEDO ( before Palas de Rei )

Palas de Rei
Hotel Mica

Melide

A Lua do Camino.
( onthe outside of town)
Has swimming pool, nice rooms. No food available
Good air con

Boente ( abt 6km past Melide)
Rectoral de Boente ( like a Casa Rural)

Arzua

Albergue Pensión Cima do Lugar​

not luxury but clean rooms, good location.

On same street further down is
casa Nene. …best restaurant in Arzua. It has only very limited seating, mostly outdoors, make a reservation. Great food! Not much to look at but a gem!
Casa Nene
Rúa Cima do Lugar, 1, 15810 Arzúa, A Coruña, Spain
tel:+34981508107

Salceda

Pensión Albergue Turístico Salceda ( about 13-14 km after Arzua)​

A Rua

Alojamientos rurales O Acivro (1km before OPedrouzo)​

Lavacolla ( 7-8 Km outside of SdC)

Pazo xan Xordo. (
abt 2 km past Lavacolla- they will pick you up in Lavacolla - best accommodations in the area)

Hotel RuthJacobea is also in LAVACOLLA so eat lunch there. Rooms are outdated though.

hope this helps!

Last edited:
I just remembered something. I don't know which part of Bavaria the woman on the bus pilgrimage was from. If she was from the northern parts she will have known the popular regional 'anthem' of the area (written in the 19th century!). The third verse goes like this (translated):

Pilgrims travel through the valley​
with flying banners.​
Their double choral salutes loudly​
the vast divine countryside.​
How I wish I could have joined them!​
But their priest would not have me!​
So I had to trot on my own through the forest​
like a mangy little sheep.​

I recommend signing it on the Meseta - only when you are on your own if you are not much of singer, otherwise in a group or to share your joy with the walkers in front and behind you. But it any case: in a loud voice. :cool:

So, yes, you can grow up with a different kind of idea of pilgrimage than the idea of a Camino pilgrimage. And if the encounter happened in 2002, then the idea of pilgrimage as flying half way around the world to start walking at the foot of a mountain range and having to stay in albergue dormitories and having to carry your backpack to do it 'properly' despite other options being available, or the idea of going on a 'spiritual but not religious' pilgrimage was most definitely still in its early stages of development. :cool:

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Whatever the debate about who a real pilgrim is, or is not, who is a tourist, or…who does or doesn’t carry a bag, or doesn’t desire to sleep in a dorm, or needs a private, luxury room gets old after a while. Preaching to others about what is one’s own correct way, as long as no one else is being disturbed or imposed upon, is arrogant. Noone should need to justify why they are seeking and paying for (!) a servce on the camino!

I have issue with them considered "VIP's". Not sure if people really see them as VIP's or if that is just the writer of the article.
It is just the name that one of the two Lugo tour companies have chosen for one of their program lines.

The whole article sounds like a PR piece for Pampre Tours and Tee Travel.

When you look at the website you see that the VIP tours allow you to pick from a variety of options and this offer is aimed at individuals and at all kinds of groups. As to accommodation, you can actually chose from the usual range of the available offers: private albergues (bunkbeds); pensiones, hostales, casa rurales cat. 1-3*; then the same with cat 2-4*; then again with cat. 4-5*. So it is not true that ninguna de las dos trabaja con albergues as this article says - they just don't work with municipal, parochial and donativo albergues which, duh, is not surprising given that you can't reserve beds there and they are meant for a different clientele anyway ...

That isn't what I was saying. I agree most private rooms currently don't cost much more than an albergue bed and they are basic accommodations for the most part. And I have no problem with pilgrims chosing private rooms, I like private rooms sometimes too.

And as of right now - most people in these private rooms are still pilgrims, but there seems to be an influx of people wanting more of a tourist experience. Some of these companies are beginning to lure more tourists who have higher expectations than your typical pilgrim. As the number of tourists increase and their expectations are higher, locals businesses could start shifting towards catering to them. In turn - that could lead to a shift in what towns offer and charge to future pilgrims and tourists alike. Future businesses might lean away from opening albergues and towards opening more luxusious pensions/hotels. Future businesses might lean away from opening inexpensive bars and towards higher end restaurants. The popularity of the Camino continues to increase - but it is drawing more people who don't necessarily want a "pilgrimage" but a tourist kind of experience - often looking for tourist amenities that are not as frequently available in towns catering towards pilgrims.

But to me it doesn't matter the reason one is doing the Camino - I am just hoping that the prices don't start going up as a result, making it harder for many to do multi-week pilgrimages. Again - not my place to judge anyone's WHY... I just don't want these tourism companies driving up the costs.

Last edited by a moderator:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am torn on this. I do agree that anyone can do a "Camino" or other adventure as they see fit. And I do make an effort to make no judgement. Yet - at the same time - I kind of feel sorry for them that they won't get the same kind of deep/meaningful experience that pilgrims have historically experienced. And yes - that is a very personal experience and everyone's experience can be a little different. But I also think they don't know what they are missing, therefore they will still have a great experience. They just won't really understand in the same way what walking (or bicycling) pilgrims experience. But - to each their own.

And yes - I have issue with them considered "VIP's". Not sure if people really see them as VIP's or if that is just the writer of the article. But it is the same as long distance pilgrims being considered more important than the last 100km pilgrims. No one should be viewed as "better" in any way than the others. I would hope that the locals continue to support/offer encouragement to those who are doing a more traditional pilgrimage on foot/bicycle/horseback.

My concern though is the more people who stay solely in private rooms and the more people paying for higher end Camino tourism... the economy could start shifting towards catering to them. No - I am NOT saying that staying in private rooms is negative (I love a private room here and there). And I am fine with people making the choice, whatever the reason, to stay in privates. But my concern is that as more people flock towards the Camino and towards private rooms - there could end up being less albergue beds down the line as businesses cater towards providing more private rooms instead of albergue beds. And with the influx if "richer" pilgrims, prices will likely start to reflect that - which could make it less affordable to those wishing to do longer distance pilgrimages. I just don't want to see a decline in affordable food and accommodations as a result of more people choosing "luxury" Camino experiences.

Anyhow - all these companies are great for those who need them or want their services. I just hope the old fashioned pilgrimage remains in reach and affordable for the masses.
I think it is quite possible that these pilgrims will have the same kind of deep/meaningful experience that pilgrims have historically experienced. Historically, there have been plenty of pilgrims that have taken whatever forms of transit were available. They may have slightly different kinds of deep/meaningful experiences than you have walking but they an be equally deep and meaningful. I say this as someone who has walked the Camino Frances and also has mostly hitchhiked it. Both experiences were deep and meaningful in their own way, and I can say for sure I approached the Camino every bit as much a pilgrim (perhaps moreso) when hitching as I did when walking. I think how deep and meaningful a Camino is depends more upon how open one is to the experience and to looking for meaning than it does on mode of transit and where one sleeps.

It is also worth mentioning that when the albergue/refugio system was started (as I recall reading), it wasn't initially intended for all pilgrims but only for those who couldn't afford the hotels and casas rurales. If more people with means start moving to hotels/CRs, perhaps that will just mean more room for those who need the cheaper accommodation in albergues. What worries me more in terms of the future of the most affordable accommodations is the increasing regulation of donativos I'm starting to read about. All that said, I do like the widespread use of albergues regardless of people's means. I wouldn't like to go to a situation where donativos are only for those who can't afford anything else. I like the idea that they are not stratified by financial means and bring all sorts together.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.