• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Luxury for an oldie from Leon to Muxia

Thornley

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances x 2 , Norte x 2 , Le Puy x 3 , Portuguese x 2,
Mont St Michel , Primitivo .
A very fit 75 year old relative wishes to walk from Leon to the coast
Money is no object as he has saved for this present to himself with his children's blessings for a year and it will be in July next year he will walk

Whilst I can recommend Posadas in Rabanal etc which we have used I am unaware of new or upgraded properties , ex Foncebadon .
We walked long distances after Melide the last two occasions , he will be unable to achieve this
He wishes to walk no more than 15-18 km a day , regardless of the weather.
He wishes a private room and also facilities for a meal at night time within a village atmosphere.
The last time he walked was with his wife when 40 years old , that was the mid 1980's and he will not use a tour company.
Any recommendations to assist will be appreciated from people who have recently walked or who know these properties because of input from either family or friends.

He can recall San Bol back then with affection , this time he hopes to enjoy his last walk.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Have reread your post. July is tricky because it is a popular time for walking. There are plenty of options for private accommodation but you may need to book ahead. Even when I walked in April it was often difficult to get private accommodation for the times I needed it when I didn't want to share my germs. Wise Pilgrim guide and Booking.com or any alternatives will help. For me, on this second camino that I walked in early spring this year, this was the most visible way that the camino had changed. The pressure wasn't on the albergues but on the private accommodations.

Last edited:
Apologies, I've realised my previous post is not particularly helpful. I can recommend private accommodation in Foncebadon. It is Hostal El Trasgu. And now I'm off to bed before I make any more hasty posts!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Aren't all types of accomodation listed on Gronze? You may want to have a look.

We're also pretty senior, and walked the whole of that stretch 2 years ago, then repeated Melide - Sarria in June, when doing the Primitivo. We always stayed in private rooms, and sought out places that were tranquil, and (where possible) rural. Here's the places that stood out a little:

Villivante - totally dead (but quiet!) town. Alb Santa Lucia -- nice private room in Albergue. Communal meal. (More choices in Hospital, a few miles down the camino).
Astorga -- La Peseta. Beautiful, relatively upscale hotel, but reasonable. Off main plaza, quiet. Good restaurant.
Rabenal -- NS del Pilar. Albergue with nice private rooms in separate converted private residence. Shared bath.
Trabadelo - Alb. La Crispeta had nice private rooms in separate bldg. overlooking river.
O'Cebreiro -- Casa Carolo. Pleasant inn.
Melide - A Lua do Camino. Just before you enter town. Set back from the road, so quiet. Nice rooms. Big garden area and pool.
Salceda - Alburgue Turistico. good rooms. Again, big central landscaped area. Very relaxing. Good meal.
Avoid O Pedrouzo -- dreary town with most accomodation right on busy road. Better option is A Rua, 1 k. before Pedrouzo. O Acrivo casa rurale. Tranquil, and right on camino. One option in Pedrouzo is Pension Casal de Calma, which we only saw from outside. Near the church and off the main road. Beautiful stone bldg. and nice-looking garden.
Villamaoir -- only 9 k from Santiago. Casa de Arancio. Garden setting. Almost a mini-apartment. Good meal.
Negreira -- La Mesquita. Big private room in albergue. Center of town.
Cee- Hotel Larry. Bland, modern bldg. but comfortable.
Lires - Casa Raul. Lovely old stone house with big garden. Warm older couple as hosts. Good rooms, shared bath. Bfast only. As Eiras albergue in center of Lires also has private rooms, and place for dinner, but is less charming.
Muxia -- Hotel a de lo lo. Most upscale place in town, but still only 60Euro double. Boutique hotel feel. Very comfortable.

Brierley and Wise Pilgrim apps. best for information on where to stay. Gronze lists everything, inc. e-mail addresses, but not much descriptive information. Calling (or direct e-mail) often works better than booking.com because some places not listed on booking.com, or booking.com shows them as sold out when they really aren't.

We're also pretty senior, and walked the whole of that stretch 2 years ago, then repeated Melide - Sarria in June, when doing the Primitivo. We always stayed in private rooms, and sought out places that were tranquil, and (where possible) rural. Here's the places that stood out a little:

Villivante - totally dead (but quiet!) town. Alb Santa Lucia -- nice private room in Albergue. Communal meal. (More choices in Hospital, a few miles down the camino).
Astorga -- La Peseta. Beautiful, relatively upscale hotel, but reasonable. Off main plaza, quiet. Good restaurant.
Rabenal -- NS del Pilar. Albergue with nice private rooms in separate converted private residence. Shared bath.
Trabadelo - Alb. La Crispeta had nice private rooms in separate bldg. overlooking river.
O'Cebreiro -- Casa Carolo. Pleasant inn.
Melide - A Lua do Camino. Just before you enter town. Set back from the road, so quiet. Nice rooms. Big garden area and pool.
Salceda - Alburgue Turistico. good rooms. Again, big central landscaped area. Very relaxing. Good meal.
Avoid O Pedrouzo -- dreary town with most accomodation right on busy road. Better option is A Rua, 1 k. before Pedrouzo. O Acrivo casa rurale. Tranquil, and right on camino. One option in Pedrouzo is Pension Casal de Calma, which we only saw from outside. Near the church and off the main road. Beautiful stone bldg. and nice-looking garden.
Villamaoir -- only 9 k from Santiago. Casa de Arancio. Garden setting. Almost a mini-apartment. Good meal.
Negreira -- La Mesquita. Big private room in albergue. Center of town.
Cee- Hotel Larry. Bland, modern bldg. but comfortable.
Lires - Casa Raul. Lovely old stone house with big garden. Warm older couple as hosts. Good rooms, shared bath. Bfast only. As Eiras albergue in center of Lires also has private rooms, and place for dinner, but is less charming.
Muxia -- Hotel a de lo lo. Most upscale place in town, but still only 60Euro double. Boutique hotel feel. Very comfortable.

Brierley and Wise Pilgrim apps. best for information on where to stay. Gronze lists everything, inc. e-mail addresses, but not much descriptive information. Calling (or direct e-mail) often works better than booking.com because some places not listed on booking.com, or booking.com shows them as sold out when they really aren't.

Stayed In a few mentioned , appreciated the rest .
Thanks for the input Andy.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Stayed In a few mentioned , appreciated the rest .
Thanks for the input Andy.
Happy to share. One thing I thought of later because there's not a lot of lodging between Leon and Astorga: In leaving Leon, scenery is pretty grim until you hit Virgen del Camino, but you can avoid the grim scenery and also shave down the subsequent long stages by taking a a local bus to El Virgen. (Check in tourist office for exact schedule). That would leave him with 15 k to Villar de Mazarife, 14 k to Hospital de Obrigo, and about 16 to Astorga, which sounds more in line with the stages he wants to walk.

Hi Thornley -

I hope that all's going well with you in Melbourne and that you have your next camino in the planning.

I've been home for two weeks from my second camino - Burgos to Rabanal - and stayed in two hotels that I hope your relative would like. These are:

Hotel Conde Luna, Leon - 4 star rating. Well located, gorgeous building, spacious rooms with the crisp white bedlinen and towels that are such a treat. The hotel has a lovely bar called the American Bar which is intimate ... a lovely quiet bar to enjoy a nightcap - especially if it's Orujo, which is poured very generously! Fellow Forum member IngridF and I stayed there for a couple of nights back in June - for Ingrid it was her second stay there and I chose it on her recommendation. I will definitely stay there again. The staff are friendly and helpful - it provided everything I wanted and more for my rest days in Leon. If your relative books directly with the hotel they give a pilgrim discount. The email address of the hotel is reservas@hotelcondeluna.es . Their website is hotelcondeluna.es and there's a link to the Peregrinos Offer.

The other hotel I can recommend is at Hospital de Orbigo - on the far side of the famous bridge. It's Hotel Don Suero de Quinones - it has a fabulous position right at the side of the bridge. Ask for Room 11 - it has the prime position. I had one of the best meals of my camino at this hotel and the proprietor, Damaso Juan Gonzalez, could not have been kinder, gracious nor more helpful to me. The email address for the hotel is don.suero@hotmail.com. Get your relative to see if they do a pilgrim discount.

I booked both hotels through booking.com but you'll probably get a better deal if you go directly to both hotels.

Cheers from a rainy Sydney -

Jenny

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Happy to share. One thing I thought of later because there's not a lot of lodging between Leon and Astorga: In leaving Leon, scenery is pretty grim until you hit Virgen del Camino, but you can avoid the grim scenery and also shave down the subsequent long stages by taking a a local bus to El Virgen. (Check in tourist office for exact schedule). That would leave him with 15 k to Villar de Mazarife, 14 k to Hospital de Obrigo, and about 16 to Astorga, which sounds more in line with the stages he wants to walk.

I mentioned No 1 bus from the roundabout 7 years ago Andy and they came for me from everywhere. However we had little choice as their was road construction and alterations going on everywhere to Virgin. It was very hard for many as they arrived in Mazariffe after 4 pm.
Yes mate , it's the only way out.

I walked in stages over 20 months, staying in albergues until after Sarria when my daughter walked with me and I booked private rooms in advance. Here's a list of the towns/villages we stayed in, with prices for 2 people. Most places had single rooms, or charged less for one person.

Can thoroughly recommend the ones in Barbadelo, Lodoso (call from Portos and they come and pick you up - fabulous place like an old castle, and incredible rooms and food. Expensive (by Camino standards) but worth it for a treat.) Also Arzua, and the pension in O Pedrouzo was owned by the most delightful and charming gentleman, so don't discount staying there.

4km - BARBADELO – Albergue 108 to Santiago €29 twin room shared bathroom
18km - PORTOMARIN – Pension Portomino €45 twin room ensuite
20km - LODOSO (near Portos) – Casa Rural Roan y Casa Grande €63 twin room ensuite dinner €20 each
20km - MELIDE – Pension Pereiro - €40 twin room ensuite
14km - ARZUA – La Casona de Nene - €49 twin room shared bathroom
19km - O PEDROUZO – Pension Codesal €44 twin room ensuite
20km - SANTIAGO de COMPOSTELA – Hotel Costa Vella €97 twin room ensuite with balcony
Hospederia San Martin Pinario €23 single room ensuite inc breakfast

Hi Thornley -

I hope that all's going well with you in Melbourne and that you have your next camino in the planning.

I've been home for two weeks from my second camino - Burgos to Rabanal - and stayed in two hotels that I hope your relative would like. These are:

Hotel Conde Luna, Leon - 4 star rating. Well located, gorgeous building, spacious rooms with the crisp white bedlinen and towels that are such a treat. The hotel has a lovely bar called the American Bar which is intimate ... a lovely quiet bar to enjoy a nightcap - especially if it's Orujo, which is poured very generously! Fellow Forum member IngridF and I stayed there for a couple of nights back in June - for Ingrid it was her second stay there and I chose it on her recommendation. I will definitely stay there again. The staff are friendly and helpful - it provided everything I wanted and more for my rest days in Leon. If your relative books directly with the hotel they give a pilgrim discount. The email address of the hotel is reservas@hotelcondeluna.es . Their website is hotelcondeluna.es and there's a link to the Peregrinos Offer.

The other hotel I can recommend is at Hospital de Orbigo - on the far side of the famous bridge. It's Hotel Don Suero de Quinones - it has a fabulous position right at the side of the bridge. Ask for Room 11 - it has the prime position. I had one of the best meals of my camino at this hotel and the proprietor, Damaso Juan Gonzalez, could not have been kinder, gracious nor more helpful to me. The email address for the hotel is don.suero@hotmail.com. Get your relative to see if they do a pilgrim discount.

I booked both hotels through booking.com but you'll probably get a better deal if you go directly to both hotels.

Cheers from a rainy Sydney -

Jenny

Thanks very much Jenny,
In Singapore on the way home 30 plus and rain on the way.
We finished in Moissac in what will be more than likely our last GR65 from Le Puy.
It was very , very warm most days 35 plus but it's a beautiful way .
When we develop the photos we normally just smile and say how can this 3 weeks be beaten and again think about the GR.
He will be given your hotels and I would say will request your recommendations.
His stories from the 80's , especially in the Meseta brings much laughter
We visited Devon for a week and got drenched whilst walking there so experienced both extremes.
Keep well Jen,
David
Next year maybe the tunnel from Bayonne and Invierno.

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I walked in stages over 20 months, staying in albergues until after Sarria when my daughter walked with me and I booked private rooms in advance. Here's a list of the towns/villages we stayed in, with prices for 2 people. Most places had single rooms, or charged less for one person.

Can thoroughly recommend the ones in Barbadelo, Lodoso (call from Portos and they come and pick you up - fabulous place like an old castle, and incredible rooms and food. Expensive (by Camino standards) but worth it for a treat.) Also Arzua, and the pension in O Pedrouzo was owned by the most delightful and charming gentleman, so don't discount staying there.

4km - BARBADELO – Albergue 108 to Santiago €29 twin room shared bathroom
18km - PORTOMARIN – Pension Portomino €45 twin room ensuite
20km - LODOSO (near Portos) – Casa Rural Roan y Casa Grande €63 twin room ensuite dinner €20 each
20km - MELIDE – Pension Pereiro - €40 twin room ensuite
14km - ARZUA – La Casona de Nene - €49 twin room shared bathroom
19km - O PEDROUZO – Pension Codesal €44 twin room ensuite
20km - SANTIAGO de COMPOSTELA – Hotel Costa Vella €97 twin room ensuite with balcony
Hospederia San Martin Pinario €23 single room ensuite inc breakfast

Some great reccommodations from left field Julia , appreciated.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back