• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

"Luxury" Items

mcopeland

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances - April-June, 2016
Portuguese Lisbon-Santiago - October, 2017
As we get ready for our first Camino (note I said "first" - don't tell my husband that!) I'm wondering if any of you pack what I would call luxury items. You could live without it, but it would be oh so comforting to bring it despite the weight. Or another thought would be, what did you miss most or wish you had brought? I'm thinking my electric toothbrush. Mary (and Charlie)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Yeah. Tried a search of luxury but couldn't find anything after the first few pages of the search results.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I would say that my 3 biggest luxuries if I can call it that would be 2 big canteens of water and an oversize first aid kit.I know my pack will be heavy but in July I'll need water more than snacks so I'll compensate for the weight.The first aid is full of gauze,tape and all kinds of ointment not only for me but someone who might need help along the way.It's better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it.

mcopeland, I found a mini battery operated travel electric toothbrush on Amazon for $9, fyi

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I bought nail varnish in Burgos and sat on a bench in the main square and painted my toenails... it felt very decadent but oohh so nice.

This year I've given a friend in the UK a task of finding me samples of beauty products... she likes to shop in places like John Lewis and House of Fraser so she's enjoying the task. She's visiting us in the summer and will bring her stash with her... and I can decide which of the little beauties will make it into my backpack :D

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi mcopeland -
My "luxury item" is a pair of rubber gloves ... they weigh practically nothing and they're invaluable with all the hand-washing you'll be doing.
Buen Camino and take joy in every step -
Cheers - Jenny

I've edited a few threads to include links to the threads being discussed. It's easy. In your post click on the "chain" icon above the message box. Paste the hyperlink in the box that appears. How do you get the hyper-link? Go to the thread you want to copy (I find it easiest to open a new tab in my browser, that way I don't loose my place in the thread I am in), copy the url by highlighting it and selecting "copy" and it will be on your pasteboard ready to paste.

I am sure there are multiple other, probably easier ways of doing it, but that is my cack-handed non-technical method.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I hate having to search for my stuff at the bottom of my backpack so I carry a hanging toilettry bag with lots of compartments. When I get to the albergue I hang it from the bunkbed friend and have meds, footcare, toothbrush, antichaffing cream etc. readily available. The one I now have is from Eaglepack, also used a much larger one from Amazon with lots of different size transparent compartments.

No, just the bare minimum sorry no luxury items Ok one :) my backpack supper expensive hehe

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm bringing a much larger towel this time. I skimped on size and weight on my last Camino and was so envious of the other women coming out of the shower warmly wrapped while I held up my tiny hand towel.

Last edited:
Luxury item: silk short pajamas. Yeah, I looked like a princess at sleeping time, but they were super light weight and it just recharged all my batteries to sleep in something else than my walking gear... :D

Missed: nothing.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
As we get ready for our first Camino (note I said "first" - don't tell my husband that!) I'm wondering if any of you pack what I would call luxury items. You could live without it, but it would be oh so comforting to bring it despite the weight. Or another thought would be, what did you miss most or wish you had brought? I'm thinking my electric toothbrush. Mary (and Charlie)
There are so many pack stores along the way and the prices are great. You may carry as much or as little as you care to. Some people do it with nothing, some carry more, some carry less. After we arrived last year I realized I could have come with nothing and just purchased what I needed, starting in Ste Jean. That being said, I brought a jet boil with a coffee press. Very light weight and we saved a bundle not buying coffee at every little café. We did however miss some of the camaraderie that goes along with frequent stops, so even that is a trade off. Make your call and then if you need something it will be available and if you don't need it you may either leave it or post it forward to Ivar.

4 pairs of shoes ! I figured my feet are most important to keep happy during the Camino. It paid off. Not one blister :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
At times like this, I always remind myself that one person's luxury item is likely another person's dead-weight. It is YOUR Camino! YOU decide what is best, or not for you.

I enjoyed reading all these submissions. And, for once, I do not have something to offer, as everything I pack must have at least two distinct functions. Also, I elevate function over fashion or desire every time a decision must be made. So, I sort of defined myself out of carrying luxury items...;)

I am not perfected. Like DaVinci's Vitruvian Man, I am a work in progress...improvements are always in the offing...

A half dozen hair conditioner sample packets. After washing my hair with the same bar of soap recommended for clothes, body and hair, my hair felt like dried straw. So glad I brought these with me. Only used a dime size amount at a time. Ooh the feel of soft untangled hair. Luxury!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm walking in April & my 'luxury' item is going to be a Western Mountaineering Summerlite sleeping bag. I'm generally a cold sleeper & the reason I would call this a luxury is because it's the most expensive item I'll be taking on the Camino with me at a horrifying $649 AUD That being said, it's hard to put a price on a warm 500g sleeping bag.

As much as I'd like to sneak some basic make-up into my pack, I hopefully see myself being comfortable without make-up after a few days of walking. I think it's natural as a woman to want to put your best foot forward (or face!) when meeting new people & for those like me this often includes a little 'war paint'. I'm a Flight Attendant, so for me make-up is part of my regular routine. That aside, I want to loose myself in the spirit of my Camino in the sense that, I'm hoping it just won't matter to me after a few days.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
And good mousturizer for my face

I brought one that had sun-blocking factor 15, so it had double utility! Kept my baby-face (*wink wink*) and also protected face and exposed areas from the sun! :D Husband used the same one and loved it was a "practical item", not just a "beauty" one :p

On my first two Camino's i had trouble sleeping with all the noise, i'm not a good sleeper at the best of times. Last year i took Bose noise cancelling ear buds ( birthday present from my husband) and an eye mask and i slept so well. They were the most cherished items in my pack.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I was so paranoid about weight that I arrived in Spain with the pack of an ascetic. Got there and having trained, I found that a bit of additional weight was just fine. Went shopping and came out loaded with groceries and a dreamy body cream. The cream and a bag of dried figs became my decadence. Refilled them all the way to Santiago with no regrets!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.