• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lyon Airport - Le Puy?

Prætor

Hi.

I have booked a plane arriving at Airport Lyon. How to get to Le Puy with my bike witout renting a car?
Bus, train taking bikes? Anybody know?
Thanks!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
In general, you can take your bicycle on the train in France. There are several departures per day from Lyon to Le Puy en Velay. There is a shuttle bus from the airport to the train station; you want the SECOND train station stop for the Le Puy train.

Actually, having cycled in France, I know you can't take your cycle on just any train. Certain trains are marked with a cycle symbol on the timetables, and those trains are OK. You can't take a train on a TGV unless you disassemble it into a casing. But there is provision on many more regional trains to take cycles whole, as is.
Margaret

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The trains from Lyon to Le Puy are TER. Your bicycle is permitted.

Voyages Ă  bord de TER

Vous pouvez faire expédier votre vélo par train ou voyager avec votre vélo et le transporter gratuitement dans tous les trains TER de votre région.

A savoir : les vélos peuvent être embarqués selon les places disponibles, du lundi au vendredi sauf pendant les heures de pointe, de 7h00 à 9h00 et de 16h30 à 18h30.

Thanks!
I got it all figured out now, and here it is (for others):

Arriving Lyon Airport, take the tram "Rohnexpress" from the airport to Lyon Part-Dieu railwaystation (30 min), then catch a train to St. Etienne (45 min), change train and continue to Le Puy (1h 20 min). Total cost about Euro 35 (bike free as luggage).

Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You have to change trains in St. Etienne to go to LePuy. The connection time is only 6 minutes. Is this really doable? It looks to be the last train too so if I miss it, is there a bus? Thanks for the help.

There are plenty of trains going from Lyon til St.Etienne. When you check the timetable for Lyon - Le Puy you will only find the train with the 6 min connection. Try times for Lyon - St. Etienne, and then St.Etienne - Le Puy. Lyon - St.Etienne has train running once or twice every hour.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Sorry for the confusion. I wasn't clear. The connection time in St. Etienne is the 6 minute time. The time to get the train going to Le Puy. I will have plenty of time to find the train in Lyon going to St. Etienne. Thanks.

It will be do-able- it is designed for the trains to be linked. Chances are that the trains will even be on adjoining platforms to make the transfer easy. And probably there is a guard on the platform who will be checking everyone who wants to has made the changeover before the second train departs.

It is the same when you have a transfer to an 'autocar' (bus) for part of a journey in France: the autocar won't leave until the train has arrived and been able to disgorge its passengers.
Margaret

Six minutes is plenty of time. St Etienne is a very small station, only two platforms. Just follow the crowd!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back