Search 58,412 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
John Brierley 2022 Camino Guide
The most selling Camino Guide is shipping November 1st. Get your today and start planning.
Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.

Lyon - Le Puy via Firminy (Rail Option)

colinPeter

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
SJPP-SDC (2009) Somport-Jaca, Burgos-SDC, Cee-Muxia (2012) Le Puy - Aumont-Aubrac (2014) SJPP-SDC (Oct 2015)
I've notice in a couple of threads that those travelling by train from Lyon to Le Puy, have mentioned they travelled LYON (PART DIEU) - SAINT ETIENNE - LE PUY.

However, there is also a train via LYON (PART DIEU) - FIRMINY - LE PUY , which has more suitable departure times (and is a slightly shorter duration).

When searching the ticketing agents (in Australia), FIRMINY departures don't exist, but they are available on the http://en.voyages-sncf.com/ site.

Has anyone travelled the LYON - FIRMINY - LE PUY option, or know of a reason why you wouldn't travel that particular route?

Bon Chemin
Colin

John Brierley 2022 Camino Guide
The most selling Camino Guide is shipping November 1st. Get your today and start planning.
Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean

colinPeter

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
SJPP-SDC (2009) Somport-Jaca, Burgos-SDC, Cee-Muxia (2012) Le Puy - Aumont-Aubrac (2014) SJPP-SDC (Oct 2015)
I've since found out that it is a bus from SAINT ETIENNE or FIRMINY.

W

whariwharangi

This site is useful for recce. I would confirm it with the service provider (SNCF).
http://www.rome2rio.com/about

It shows regional train (TER) Lyon (Perrache) to Firminy, Firminy to Le Puy, Lyon to Le Puy. No mention of bus.

SNCF TER
http://www.ter-sncf.com/

Some SNCF TER trains indicate TER Car .... probably a bus.

Last edited by a moderator:

colinPeter

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Hi Whariwharangi,

Yes, have now seen the schedule, it is bus for the second section of journey.

www.rome2rio.com is a very interesting site , thanks for the link.

Colin

W

whariwharangi

Rent a house in Santiago (1 month minimum)
300m from the cathedral and around the corner from the fresh food market in Santiago. Perfect place to tele commute from (1GB symmetrical connection).
Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets

colinPeter

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Its normally train. If my very rusty french is correct sections of the route between Firminy and LePuy are closed for maintenance till end August 2014. A bus is in place until the tracks reopen....
Well, that explains why I thought that others said it was train to Le Puy.
Thanks for the update.

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 101 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings