• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lyon to Le Puy

Julene

Time of past OR future Camino
Saint jean pied de port to santiago 2014 and 2016.
Le puy to saint jean 2018
Does any one know how to get from Lyon airport to Le Puy. On the Rome2Rio website and found that there is a bus or train option. Do I have to book this in advance or would I be able to buy a ticket on the day of arrival? Would appreciate any advice, we arrive in Lyon on 18 May 2018.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You buy the bus ticket to the train station on the bus, or you can take the Lyon Express Tram. You can buy the train ticket from Lyon to Le-Puy in advance or at the station. It probably is rare that it is full, but you never know! ;)

Hi Julene.....yes I do. As we are doing it in 8 days time....well lets hope I do?!?
1. you catch a train from the airport into town
2. you catch a train either directly to Le Puy if possible it seems to depend on the date and time.....or you may need to split the train trip and get off at St Etienne and jump on another to Le Puy.

I have bought tickets online already as I'm not sure how busy it will be due to the strikes.

Below is the answer I got from the Lyon information centre when I emailed them a few days ago.

Thank you for the interest you have in our city.
In order to reach Le Puy, you will have to take the train TER. You will find the information in the following link:

https://www.ter.sncf.com/auvergne-r...cSans+Carte%7c30%7cPassager+1%7cTrue%7c%7c%7c

We remain at your disposal for further information.

Kind regards

Stefania De rigo
LYON CITY EXPERT - Nos conseils sur-mesure pour VISITER LYON !
ONLYLYON Tourisme et Congrès | Place Bellecour, BP 2254, 69214 Lyon Cedex 02, France

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Julene, we will get to Lyon on May 17 then on to Le puy on the 19th to start walking the next day. Hopefully we will see you on the Way:) May 18 and 19 are planned train strike days so we are hoping there will be a bus to Le Puy if the train is out. Bon Chemin:)

Because of the railway strike in France, a strike which, as Lleslie just pointed out, currently includes the date of your arrival, I would suggest the following...

Unless you are flying from a destination where you can check the status of trains on the SNCF website (available for you on May 17 at 17h/5PM French time), do nothing! Just arrive at the Lyon airport, go to one of the information kiosks (link below), and ask them to help you determine if trains are running from Lyon or from Saint-Etienne to Le Puy-en-Velay. Also consult with those helpful people on the schedules available given the time of your arrival for both of these options. Then pick the train from Lyon or follow falcon269's advice and take the bus from the airport to Saint-Etienne and continue on to Le Puy via train (if running) or by bus.

If you noodle around on the site below you will find the schedule and departure point for the bus to Saint-Etienne plus info on the tram to the main Lyon train station.

My advice may seem a bit loosey-goosey but just keep a cool head and you'll quickly learn that the Camino will provide....in your case a mode of transport to Le Puy.

Bon chemin.

Tom

https://www.lyonaeroports.com/en/practicals-informations/information-points

Hi Julene, we are traveling on exactly the same day, which others have pointed out is a designated strike day.

From the airport to train station: https://www.rhonexpress.fr/en/access-and-schedules/23

You can book your train tickets from Lyon to Le Puy through https://en.oui.sncf/en/ - If you do book, know that you'll get a full refund if that line is on strike on that particular day, and you won't know if it's on strike till 5pm the day before. To keep up with what's going on: https://en.oui.sncf/en/train/strike

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
One really does want to take the rail connection from the airport to the main downtown station; that's a one-hour and fairly expensive taxi ride. A bus connection might also be available (esp. if a strike date). The advice above to be flexible, consult on-scene, and go with the flow is spot-on. As long as you remember that a plan is just a fiction, and don't stress over its not being a fact, you'll be just fine.

Oh wow thank you so much for the response. This must be the best forum ever. Actually didn't know 18th May was a strike day. I am going to do "nothing"and find my way when I get there,
Lleslie, we are starting our walk on Sunday 20 May, so will keep an eye out for you. You won't miss us, my daughter is the one with the yellow hair ....

Pleased I came upon this post as it looks like I am in the same situation. I fly into Lyon on the 21 Jun and was to travel to Ley Puy on the 22 Jun which it turns out is scheduled strike day! so will research the links given.

Has anyone travelled Lyon to Le Puy on a train strike day? If so what are the options?

Thanks

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Pleased I came upon this post as it looks like I am in the same situation. I fly into Lyon on the 21 Jun and was to travel to Ley Puy on the 22 Jun which it turns out is scheduled strike day! so will research the links given.

Has anyone travelled Lyon to Le Puy on a train strike day? If so what are the options?

Thanks
Hi there
We travelled to Le Puy yesterday from Lyon airport that was also a train strike day.
So from Lyon airport you buy a ticket on the rhone express (€16) to go to lyon city centre to the Part Dieu station. From there you buy a SNCF train ticket to St Etienne (€14). The train left from platform H but go early as the trai was super full. Travel time was 40mins to st etienne. At st Etienne station you buy a bus ticket (€14) at the SNCF ticket office to Le Puys. Bus travel time is around two hours.
The SNCF tellers at Part Dieu statio were not too clued up about available options to get to le puys. We were sent round and about to parrache station to catch the train to st etienne but one can only leave with the train to st etienne from part dieu station. They also did not know about the bus to le puys. The teller at parrache station was the one who helped us woth the train and bus option as stated above.
Let me know if yoi need more info.

Hi there
We travelled to Le Puy yesterday from Lyon airport that was also a train strike day.
So from Lyon airport you buy a ticket on the rhone express (€16) to go to lyon city centre to the Part Dieu station. From there you buy a SNCF train ticket to St Etienne (€14). The train left from platform H but go early as the trai was super full. Travel time was 40mins to st etienne. At st Etienne station you buy a bus ticket (€14) at the SNCF ticket office to Le Puys. Bus travel time is around two hours.
The SNCF tellers at Part Dieu statio were not too clued up about available options to get to le puys. We were sent round and about to parrache station to catch the train to st etienne but one can only leave with the train to st etienne from part dieu station. They also did not know about the bus to le puys. The teller at parrache station was the one who helped us woth the train and bus option as stated above.
Let me know if yoi need more info.
Thank you very much for taking the time to share how you managed on a train strike day. I have a SNCF ticked already booked for a 12:07 train direct from Lyon Part Dieu to Le Puy on the 22 June. Probably best to assume the worst and this train will not be operating. I will be there in the morning so will have some time to find out and will use your option as plan 'B'. From your experience it seems there are still some trains still running even on a strike day. Appreciate the help and advice.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
Hi All, My girlfriend and I are planning to do the Camino Primitivo. I'll be honest here; I'm not entirely sure how far we'll get, but Caminoways says that the entire route can be done in 15...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back