• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lyon to Le-Puy

Marijane

Time of past OR future Camino
future Le-Puy
Hello,
My daughter and I will be walking a part of the Camino starting in Le-Puy. We fly into Lyon in the later afternoon on a Friday, researching ways to travel to Le-Puy.. Wondering if anyone has recently done this small commute and if so Train or Bus? Looking for simplicity and lower cost...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Disregard my last inquiry please :)
Was able to find a decent priced train tickets for us. We get the pleasure of staying a night in Lyon to accommodate travel times. If anyone has a recommendation for a nice Hostel in Lyon that would be appreciated. ;)
Cheers!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Disregard my last inquiry please :)
Was able to find a decent priced train tickets for us. We get the pleasure of staying a night in Lyon to accommodate travel times. If anyone has a recommendation for a nice Hostel in Lyon that would be appreciated. ;)
Cheers!

I completed the GR65 (Chemin Le Puy) on my own (67 years of age) from Le Puy to Cahors in September 2018 and from Cahors to Saint Jean in September 2017.

Both trips were very very enjoyable.

I had beautiful weather most of the time.
I met loads of interesting people from many different countries.

I can speak a bit of French,which helps! because I did not meet many English speakers (I am Irish) other than some French Canadians,who surprised me that they were not absolutely fluent in English !!!

I mostly stayed in hotels and some lovely Bed & Breakfasts (Chambres d'Hotes), arranged through Macs Adventures in Glasgow.

My luggage bag was transferred every day to my new accommodation,so only had to carry a day sack.

Walked an average of 12 to 15 miles per day.

As regards getting from Lyon Airport to Le Puy:

Rhone Express tram from Airport to Lyon Centre.

RER train From Lyon to Le Puy about 2 hour journey (Many stops) every 2 hours.

Not expensive compared to UK.

I hope you enjoy your trip as much as I did.

I am contemplating doing Geneva to Le Puy this September !!

Bon Chemin.

I attempted to walk from LePuy to SJPdP last April but gave up prematurely after 10 days because my backpack was too heavy for me for the terrain. I did not know, or I did not see, any backpack forwarding service on GR65 then. So I changed my plan and started from SJPdP to Santiago. Maybe I will attempt LePuy Route one more time in the near future.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I did not know, or I did not see, any backpack forwarding service on GR65 then.
There is bag service along the entire route from Le Puy - SJPP, although I don't know if they start running before Easter. (Much of the hospitality infrastructure on the Le Puy route - but not all! - only operates from Easter to All Saints.) Your lodging host would be happy to make the arrangements if your French is not up to scratch.

I completed the GR65 (Chemin Le Puy) on my own (67 years of age) from Le Puy to Cahors in September 2018 and from Cahors to Saint Jean in September 2017.

Both trips were very very enjoyable.

I had beautiful weather most of the time.
I met loads of interesting people from many different countries.

I can speak a bit of French,which helps! because I did not meet many English speakers (I am Irish) other than some French Canadians,who surprised me that they were not absolutely fluent in English !!!

I mostly stayed in hotels and some lovely Bed & Breakfasts (Chambres d'Hotes), arranged through Macs Adventures in Glasgow.

My luggage bag was transferred every day to my new accommodation,so only had to carry a day sack.

Walked an average of 12 to 15 miles per day.

As regards getting from Lyon Airport to Le Puy:

Rhone Express tram from Airport to Lyon Centre.

RER train From Lyon to Le Puy about 2 hour journey (Many stops) every 2 hours.

Not expensive compared to UK.

I hope you enjoy your trip as much as I did.

I am contemplating doing Geneva to Le Puy this September !!

Bon Chemin.

Thanks for the response! I did end up booking a train.

Sounds like you enjoyed your experience!
I am relying on my daughters french speaking abilities, mine is pretty limited...lol I am hoping once immersed into the language something will click.. Otherwise my 16 yr old will have a lot of power over me! hahah!!
My Daughter and I are flying in and out of Ireland for this trip. We are both excited to do some experiencing in Dublin! We only have 3 days there then we fly to Lyon to start our French section of the adventure, but are hoping to have a good amount of time left after the Le-Puy -Conques walk and a mini tour of Paris to go back to Ireland and explore some more before flying home! A carrot to push us through the harder days ;)

Hope September finds you strolling along towards Le-Puy!
Cheers!
(Bon Chemin)

Most read last week in this forum

We commenced walking the Via Podiensis on Saturday 13th April 2024. We are from Australia and find it easier to bring our stuff for the Camino in a suitcase, as we have extra clothes for before...
A special thank you to Dave Whitson for his shortcuts on the GR 65. We had a beautiful day walking by the river Lot into Cahors instead of the regular route. It takes a lot of work to create...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back