• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Málaga's new pedestrian bridge

islandwalker

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés and routes in Andalucia
This week a new pedestrian bridge opened that offers some interesting possibilities for pilgrims starting the Mozárabe in Málaga.
Malaga bridge.jpg

If you have an extra half-day at the beginning of your camino, you could use the bridge to explore the Parque Natural Desembocadura del Guadalhorce. There has long been a pedestrian bridge over the west arm of the Guadalhorce, but now with the new bridge over the east arm, the estuary is directly reachable from Málaga's city center, walking first along the along the beachfront paseo and then crossing into the park. This estuary is one of the stops on a main migratory route between Europe and Africa, and there are numerous bird blinds where, depending on the season, you may see osprey, eagles, storks, flamingos, and herons. We spent a lovely afternoon here last year and can highly recommend it. In addition if one wanted to make a camino that totally avoids public transportation, this new bridge makes it possible to plan out a walking route directly from the airport to central Málaga . This coincides with the last stage of the 745 km GR 249, the Gran Senda de Málaga. A fellow walker has already posted a route on Wikiloc:

This map shows the area:
red circle = airport / yellow circle = central Málaga
green arrow = existing pedestrian bridge / blue arrow = new pedestrian bridge
Malaga.png

3-minute video: https://www.viajamalaga.com/desembocadura-del-guadalhorce/

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Cool, I have to go birdwatching there soon, hopefully! There are lots of observatories and wildlife in that area, perfect excuse for going to Malaga, even if the situation in Málaga is not the best at the moment.

Most read last week in this forum

I've just completed the Camino Mozarabe from Almeria. My first Camino was the Camino Frances from SJPDP in October 2021. I don't have a trip report as such. I know people who trip on mushrooms...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back