• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Macabi short skirt questions

S

sjf

I think I'm going to go ahead and get a macabi short skirt for my Camino next month. They're on sale now and I much prefer the look of the shorter length. It seems long enough to provide the coverage and pockets, but not quite as much fabric as the traditional length.

I have 2 questions: how accurate is the size chart? If I'm usually a size 8-10, should I buy the M (10-12, as per their website) or S (6-8)?

And which color? I'm deciding between the charcoal (boring, goes with everything), purple (fun! But very obvious if I wear one skirt every day for a week), or the blue (maybe a compromise between charcoal and purple, but not exciting). Which color would you get?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I think I'm going to go ahead and get a macabi short skirt for my Camino next month. They're on sale now and I much prefer the look of the shorter length. It seems long enough to provide the coverage and pockets, but not quite as much fabric as the traditional length.

I have 2 questions: how accurate is the size chart? If I'm usually a size 8-10, should I buy the M (10-12, as per their website) or S (6-8)?

And which color? I'm deciding between the charcoal (boring, goes with everything), purple (fun! But very obvious if I wear one skirt every day for a week), or the blue (maybe a compromise between charcoal and purple, but not exciting). Which color would you get?

I bought the S and I am a size 10. You can adjust the waist band which is great if you lose (or gain!) weight.
Can't advise about colour though :D I have a black one which I wear all the time and a charcoal one as yet unworn ... Your decision! ;)

Thanks! I just went ahead and ordered both in size small. I feel like I *should* be a medium, but the pics show so much fabric and my waist measurement/size is right in between, so small it is.

And I figure I need two, one to wear for walking and one for evenings, right? I'll wear with leggings and a tee and fleece, and I should be able to get away with two outfits, one to wash, one to wear :)

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Thanks! I just went ahead and ordered both in size small. I feel like I *should* be a medium, but the pics show so much fabric and my waist measurement/size is right in between, so small it is.

And I figure I need two, one to wear for walking and one for evenings, right? I'll wear with leggings and a tee and fleece, and I should be able to get away with two outfits, one to wash, one to wear :)

You're right, a M would be too big. Two skirts will be plenty. I only take one and wear shorts after walking but that's when I walk in Summer.
Leggings are perfect to wear underneath when it gets chilly.
Buen camino :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Today is the last day of the sale, which includes a limited number of colours, but purple haze is among them. The regular cut does have a lot of fabric (which I like), but I am going to try the slim fit this purchase. BTW, Macabi is a one person company, and the owner, Mike, has been terrific to deal with. You may need to email him to find out how to take advantage of the sale.

How are we going to know which colors you chose? Did you end up getting one black and one purple? one charcoal and one black? Two purples?

:p

Need more information! (teasing you)

I ordered the charcoal and the purple in the knee-length, size small. The plan is to wear one in the day and one in the evening. I wear skirts all most all the time IRL anyway, so I figure I can't go wrong with these. Casual Fridays, Saturday hangouts, walking the Camino... it's all good.

Unless I've misjudged the size, that is.. I measured over clothes and my waist is comfortably loose at 34 so fingers crossed that the smalls (28-36 inches) work.

Can anyone share how long it took to receive their skirts once the order was placed? I'm wondering if I should go ahead and order the mediums too, then send back whatever doesn't fit.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I ordered the charcoal and the purple in the knee-length, size small. The plan is to wear one in the day and one in the evening. I wear skirts all most all the time IRL anyway, so I figure I can't go wrong with these. Casual Fridays, Saturday hangouts, walking the Camino... it's all good.

Unless I've misjudged the size, that is.. I measured over clothes and my waist is comfortably loose at 34 so fingers crossed that the smalls (28-36 inches) work.

Can anyone share how long it took to receive their skirts once the order was placed? I'm wondering if I should go ahead and order the mediums too, then send back whatever doesn't fit.
You will be fine with the small. Delivery time is good, but you can always email Mike and ask him when you can expect them.

I am medium and size 12 NZ, small will be perfect for you

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
So the skirts arrived today. And the fit is perfect! I think they do run big because, well, I shouldn't be a small. So if anyone is considering the knee-length macabi skirt, I do recommend sizing down.

They're genuinely knee-length. Not too short, but nowhere near as long as the regular model. I'm 5'5 (well, 5' 4 and 3/4) and the hem basically touches right where my leg bends. Standing, the hem definitely covers my knees. It's long enough, but not a long skirt.

The pockets are awesome, although I'm still trying to figure out why the zipper on the one zippered pocket is reversible. I guess the skirt might fold in on itself like a jacket? Not sure why you'd want or need that, but maybe it's a wonderful feature that I just haven't discovered I need yet.

The colors are great. Both charcoal and purple look exactly like the colors on the website and are very wearable.

The one thing I should mention is that the skirts have a few pleats right at the front. There's a covered elastic waist, but not many pleats elsewhere. It's a slightly strange place to put all that extra fabric, and not the most flattering look, but it's not awful. And they're hiking/travel skirts. I'm looking for comfort and practicality, not fashion. All things considered, these are wearable, attractive skirts that will be a welcome addition to my Camino.

So the skirts arrived today. And the fit is perfect! I think they do run big because, well, I shouldn't be a small. So if anyone is considering the knee-length macabi skirt, I do recommend sizing down.

They're genuinely knee-length. Not too short, but nowhere near as long as the regular model. I'm 5'5 (well, 5' 4 and 3/4) and the hem basically touches right where my leg bends. Standing, the hem definitely covers my knees. It's long enough, but not a long skirt.

The pockets are awesome, although I'm still trying to figure out why the zipper on the one zippered pocket is reversible. I guess the skirt might fold in on itself like a jacket? Not sure why you'd want or need that, but maybe it's a wonderful feature that I just haven't discovered I need yet.

The colors are great. Both charcoal and purple look exactly like the colors on the website and are very wearable.

The one thing I should mention is that the skirts have a few pleats right at the front. There's a covered elastic waist, but not many pleats elsewhere. It's a slightly strange place to put all that extra fabric, and not the most flattering look, but it's not awful. And they're hiking/travel skirts. I'm looking for comfort and practicality, not fashion. All things considered, these are wearable, attractive skirts that will be a welcome addition to my Camino.
Yes, they can be stuffed into their own pocket for storage and travel. I wear mine every time I fly and for long car rides. I wear one anytime I have to sit for long periods when pockets might be handy.

Today is the last day of the sale, which includes a limited number of colours, but purple haze is among them. The regular cut does have a lot of fabric (which I like), but I am going to try the slim fit this purchase. BTW, Macabi is a one person company, and the owner, Mike, has been terrific to deal with. You may need to email him to find out how to take advantage of the sale.
I found that the short skit can limit your stride length. You may need to pull it up when stepping up. Otherwise they are great. I took 1 and just washed it a lot. Pretty quick dry.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back