• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Macabi Skirt, first impression (pre-Camino)

GreatDane

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
CF to Burgos Sept/Oct 2014, Burgos to Astorga April 2016, Astorga to SdC 2017
I bought one of AnnieSantiago's Macabi Skirts she had up for sale when she returned from her most recent Camino. Fawn (looks like the current Stone color), in medium, in short. We compared notes and I figured it would fit and it does!!! Thought I'd post some first impressions here.

Pros: So comfortable and what I consider a flattering cut. I can't wait to use it flying. The fabric is a light weight nylon so it should dry quickly - that test will be this weekend. The pockets? There should be a law that all women's wear should have pockets this fantastic! Deep, roomy, pocktets within the pockets. Well engineered and the zippered pocket is placed nicely and is not obtrusive. The worksmanship is really nice too. I think this skirt went on Annie's most recent Camino and you can't tell by looking at it that it has many miles on it. It looks like dust and dirt can easily be brushed off.

Cons: The only one I can see is I wish the belt loops were a tiny bit deeper - maybe by only 1/4" - 3/8" to accommodate wider belts.

Would I buy one again? Definitely! My only concern - I am 5'4" and the short is short on me. Both good news and bad news I suppose. There's about a 4" gap between the top of my hiking socks and the hem of the skirt. A regualr length in medium adds another 3.5 inches which I think I'd like better with my hiking boots, my Keen Seacamps (yes I can fit in the kids sized 283 gr CNX sandals!!) and my shortie cowgirl boots. (I am up in the air as to whether or not I will put the skirt up for sale and get a medium/medium in stone.)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am so sorry to say this but I checked out the website and I think the skirt is seriously unfashionable! I am sure it's super comfortable and dries quickly etc but I think its ugliness turns me off.

I have been hunting for a skirt/skort and bought the Kathmandu Makino instead. It dries quickly and is super comfortable with a pair of shorts underneath. It's very light as it's built for adventure. I am bringing this on the Camino with me this year. The cut is also very flattering and stretchy. The only draw back is that it doesnt have any pockets.

http://www.kathmandu.com.au/womens/maki ... black.html

For those who live in Australia, you can buy it on line.

Lynette

Hey GreatDane, i agree with everything you say, after reading the various reports about the Macabi skirt i decided to send for one. I LOVE it, it's so comfortable, as you say the pockets are great. OK yes, not so fashionable buy hey, i'm over fifty now and past caring - these days i wear what i like and go for practicality over looks ;-)

I ordered the Macabi skirt online and it arrived from the USA to the Outer Hebrides of Scotland in just over a week. I had great service from the people at Macabi - after placing my order online i decided i should have ordered short instead of regular (i'm 5' 3") and emailed them to change my order in the hopes that the order and dispatch process wasn't all automated. The next day i had a lovely email from Macabi saying no problem at all, they'd changed my order and dispatched it.

Now i wish i'd bought two!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Lynette, I have a black skort like the Katmandu and it has 3 pocket. I wear it, i like it.mine is available in the US and is by skirtsports.com.

But I am a child of the 1950's so the flower power hippy girl in me says for me the Macabi is fashionable! YMMV.

Hahaa fair enough. I think I will buy one anyway. I like to collect hiking gear and clothes and maybe it may come in handy somewhere along the line for another trip. The only saving grace is that it is long so I can use it like a blanket! :p

I wore very boring stuff last year on my Camino.. very practical and used every bit of it. All quick dry but I thought this year I should try to be slightly more fashionable!

On my last Camino I wore a divided skirt - like the culottes we used to wear in the 60's and 70's. It is made of very lightweight, quick drying fabric and has an elasticized waist. I am 5'3" so the one I bought was a bit long and I took up the hem. It is very comfortable and the wide legs mean you don't have to pull it down when you need to pee! On really cold days I wore leg warmers and as it warmed up during the day I just pushed them down.
Leg and arm warmers are a great way to cut down on clothing. A couple of sets of arm warmers save on taking long sleeve shirts. I buy above-knee socks and cut off the toe, make a hole in the heel and Voila! I have arm warmers with mittens!

Attachments

• photo-4.JPG
    photo-4.JPG
    393.3 KB · Views: 1,077
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Culottes!!!! I used to sew them (and skorts) by the billions back in the 60's and early 70's. Laughing because I haven't heard the word culottes since then :D

I am 5'1 and overweight. I bought a short macabi and loved it. I wore it everyday for walking with jockey long legged undies so I wouldn't suffer from chafing. It was perfect. I loved it. Washing was easy. I have it in black. Unflattering, yep !but did I care, nope.... I figured it would cover me should I need to relieve myself outside... which I never had to, thank goodness. The pockets held my water bottle for easy access, held my pages of the route, my lip balm, somemoney... perfect..,

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I bought a Macabi skirt in the stone color and I must say it is very comfortable and functional. I love the pockets. I'm 5'4" and wear a size 16US so I ordered a large/short. It fits fine if a little long for my taste. I ordered the stone because I thought the dirt and mud wouldn't show as much but I wish I'd ordered it in black because I don't have much to go with the stone color. Yes, I know the Camino isn't a fashion show and that stone is supposed to be a neutral I just can't figure any brighter colors I like that would go well with it. :roll:
As of now I will bring it but I am still looking for something that has just a tad more style but still has some good pockets. I may be over 60 and comfort does comes first but I still want a little style. 8)
Sil,
I was thinking of leg warmers to wear underneath my skirt and/or pants, just the other night. I'm going to hunt some down. Also, the arm warmers. I know they make some for cyclist.

Karen,

I buy cheap above-knee socks, cut the toe off and wear them as leg warmers and arm warmers. Saves taking long sleeve tops!

Anniesantiago said:
It is a medium long.
It is fawn colored.

I was wearing size large when I left, but this has an elastic waist plus a drawstring, and it worked great for the whole trip (even when I lost 15 pounds!).

If its still for sell, can you pm me your contact info -I'm on an ipad and cant send pm messages. I would like to buy it.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have a medium long Macabi in the stone blue color.
I've decided I am not a blue person.
If anyone has a more earth color - black, charcoal, beige - and they want to trade, I'm up for it.
Mine has not yet been used.

SillyDoll
Lovely photo, you are seriously trendy in your stripes and colourful with pinks, I am a Blue person and my clothes tend to be neutral , hiking gear tends to be! Steeltown Pilgrim is bringing dress shirts and fancy pants! maybe we could all try a bit of colour, keep you posted!

I have a medium long Macabi in the stone blue color.

I'm having trouble posting again today.

I called Macabi and they will exchange my skirt, so unless someone here wants to make a trade, I'll mail it off today.

I ordered REGULAR length this time to close that gap between the bottom of the skirt and my shoes.

This year I"m taking no pants.
Just my two Macabi skirts and a pair of leggings for cold days.

Looking forward to May! HOORAY!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Glad they're exchanging it as I couldn't help, mine is a different size.
I also have a gap between skirt and shoes , not really elegant! but wonder whether I would trip if it was any longer?

Glad they're exchanging it as I couldn't help, mine is a different size.
I also have a gap between skirt and shoes , not really elegant! but wonder whether I would trip if it was any longer?

Well, I'm thinking I will use the strap and make it into pants if that's an issue walking.

I have one short Macabi (Annie's stone Macabi I bought from her last year) and one regular. I have long legs so the short is really short on my with lots of skin showing even between the top of my socks and the skirt hem. I prefer the regular length!! (and there is still a bit of skin showing with the regular). Does anyone have a size medium stone (khaki tan) in regular that wants to trade for a short?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have one short Macabi (Annie's stone Macabi I bought from her last year) and one regular. I have long legs so the short is really short on my with lots of skin showing even between the top of my socks and the skirt hem. I prefer the regular length!! (and there is still a bit of skin showing with the regular). Does anyone have a size medium stone (khaki tan) in regular that wants to trade for a short?

Dane… hold tight.
Let me see how this regular fits - they've mailed it so I should get it in a day or two.
I might like to have one of each length so I might trade with you.
Annie

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back