• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Macabi skirt - I'm taking the plunge

Hi Aimee...Did you end up buying the Macabi Skirt? If so, did you experience any chafing or did you always wear leggings under it? Just wondering. Thanks, SanJo
I wore it without leggings no chafing. 5'3 inches 135 pounds

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I found out that Macabi now do a knee-length version so I've just skimmed through this thread again looking for reviews - couldn't see any. I loved my Macabis but found they were too flappy in the wind and just ... too much, too big, for me to really enjoy walking in them over time. I have since walked in the Royal Robbins Discovery skirt and Craghoppers NosiLife Pro, both quite fitted, above knee length and stretchy. I do like them, but I miss the huge pockets and the looser fit of the Macabi and I am planning a 6 week walk in the not too distant future and practicality and comfort is essential. Have any of you ladies (or indeed gentlemen) tried or bought a knee-length version, and how did you like it? It is a bit pricey to buy blind and have sent to the UK, I can't easily return it, so any comments, opinions, impressions etc are very welcome. (Or if anyone in Europe wants to sell a Macabi in L so I can mod it myself, that would be great too ...)

I found out that Macabi now do a knee-length version ..
(Or if anyone in Europe wants to sell a Macabi in L so I can mod it myself, that would be great too ...)
I have to say I like the length of the original Macabis because they can protect you from branches during the day and be an extra layer in colder temps, but I agree with how much fabric went into them. (Have not tried the news narrow model). In case you are able to buy a second hand original, when I had mine narrowed, 16 inches, yes, 16 inches, were taken off from the sides and the skirt could still be folded up to be sorten, pockets worked jist as well, etc.

I see that the new short Macabi you mention has a cell phone pocket. I wonder if it's an additional zippered pocket or just a new name for the original zippered pocket. I think having a second zippered pocket would be great and another reason to love Macabis.

In a different line of thought, I like seeing a small business being able to expand like this one. Since they are in Utah I assume that the core clientele were Mormons at first, but the short skirt indicates demand is comming from elsewhere. If that is the case, good for them!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have to say I like the length of the original Macabis because they can protect you from branches during the day and be an extra layer in colder temps, but I agree with how much fabric went into them. (Have not tried the news narrow model). In case you are able to buy a second hand original, when I had mine narrowed, 16 inches, yes, 16 inches, were taken off from the sides and the skirt could still be folded up to be sorten, pockets worked jist as well, etc.

I see that the new short Macabi you mention has a cell phone pocket. I wonder if it's an additional zippered pocket or just a new name for the original zippered pocket. I think having a second zippered pocket would be great and another reason to love Macabis.

In a different line of thought, I like seeing a small business being able to expand like this one. Since they are in Utah I assume that the core clientele were Mormons at first, but the short skirt indicates demand is comming from elsewhere. If that is the case, good for them!
Just saying, I am not a Mormon but they do dress the same as other people.

I see that the new short Macabi you mention has a cell phone pocket.

I would have to guess that this is the same inner cellphone pocket my regular macabis have inside the left pocket. I have a fairly new skirt but the phone pocket is still more suitable for a flip phone than a smart phone, and I would have to guess the short macabi is going to be the same, most likely. In the pics it looks like the same old skirt cut off short; in other words still a lot of fabric around the waist.

I have the original macabi in both the regular and short lengths, short in this case being slightly below the knee for me, and I infinitely prefer the longer length because the skirts do tend to creep up in a head wind. And I walked through most of the nettles in the northern hemisphere in France so I was glad for the length for protection from those, too

I'm sorry to say my newer regular skirt is not as well made as the older ones, FWIW. One of the belt loops came completely unsewn the second or third wearing. although I had never used a belt with it, for instance.

If you want to look chic, a macabi isn't going to do it, and I would check out one of the other hiking dresses/skirts others here have worn. I still love my macabis and wear them when not walking as well, but then I'm at the point in life where it's more gratifying to decorate my house than my person. :)

ETA Trecile has made some very cute walking dresses, if you search for her posts.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
It's been ages since I first made a post about the Macabi skirt in spring 2014. Since then, I completed my Camino Francés in Sept 2014, walked the European Peace Walk in 2015 and volunteered in Serbia with the refugees coming through (also 2015)

I believe there are times and places where the Macabi works great FOR ME (we're all different!) and times when I'm glad I left it home. I wore it through my Camino and wouldn't have it any other way. I'm planning 2 Caminos for 2018. I absolutely refuse to walk without my Macabi. Among its many uses-
It dries in a crazy fast amount of time
It covers you when you squat (!!!)
It's warm to sleep in
Seems never to show dirt
I forgot to carry my clothes into the shower a few times. So I just hiked the skirt up over "the girls" and walked out fully covered!
Great conversation starter
The pockets are huge and safe
I sewed a money belt into mine so I never had to put the belt around my waist. Super secure. Thank you Annie for the directions.
A great way to see how much smaller your waist is getting as you cinch it more each day.
You S tart in the morning chill with your legs covered and transition in mid-day to a short skirt with only a few snaps. Perfect.

Loved my Macabi. I'm bringing my new purple one the next time.

It's been ages since I first made a post about the Macabi skirt in spring 2014. Since then, I completed my Camino Francés in Sept 2014, walked the European Peace Walk in 2015 and volunteered in Serbia with the refugees coming through (also 2015)

I believe there are times and places where the Macabi works great FOR ME (we're all different!) and times when I'm glad I left it home. I wore it through my Camino and wouldn't have it any other way. I'm planning 2 Caminos for 2018. I absolutely refuse to walk without my Macabi. Among its many uses-
It dries in a crazy fast amount of time
It covers you when you squat (!!!)
It's warm to sleep in
Seems never to show dirt
I forgot to carry my clothes into the shower a few times. So I just hiked the skirt up over "the girls" and walked out fully covered!
Great conversation starter
The pockets are huge and safe
I sewed a money belt into mine so I never had to put the belt around my waist. Super secure. Thank you Annie for the directions.
A great way to see how much smaller your waist is getting as you cinch it more each day.
You S tart in the morning chill with your legs covered and transition in mid-day to a short skirt with only a few snaps. Perfect.

Loved my Macabi. I'm bringing my new purple one the next time.

Agree with everything you say! I bought mine for walking to Jerusalem a few years ago and now I can't walk in anything else....
I remember pulling it down a bit so it covered my ankles whilst walking through parts of Turkey (Konya comes to mind). I never felt out of place, except maybe when going on training walks in my local park in the UK? Hahaha

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I've never been a skirt hiker but did love my long Macabi as "evening wear" when I walked the CF and St Olav's. Recently I cut one of my long ones off and am hiking in it over leggings or shorts. This has hooked me into skirt hiking. I have all the comfort of tights, have the wonderful pockets, and the convenience of a skirt.

@Ullali , my Macabi was my 2nd outfit. It was my "evening wear". Very handy to put on after my shower, pulled up to cover the "girls" while I pulled on my top, and then the Macabi was pulled down into place. Fresh undies pulled on under and I was ready for dinner, mass, or whatever the evening called for. Total modesty without having to take multiple clean items into the shower area. When ready for bed
I donned the base layer I slept in, and pulled the Macabi off. In the morning if I wanted to remove base layer, I slipped on Macabi, removed base layer, put on hiking pants and finally took the Macabi off. Again total modesty without having to find a private corner.

That's how I used it. Loved it. One pair of hiking pants and one Macabi.
Sounds like a piece of clothing with multiple uses for sure. I may have to reconsider my poor attitude about them. In pictures they seem to make everyone look like "bag ladies" (take no offense please). They also seem like they would be "in the way" of walking, but all owners seem to love them. Thanks for the great testimony of all things macabi!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back