• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Macabi skirt - I'm taking the plunge

WalkCWalk

Time of past OR future Camino
sept. 2014
My friend has the charcoal one and loves it. She has made a believer of me and I'm going to order one for my September Camino. Question for you Macabi wearers..... I want the khaki one, but will it show dirt? My friends charcoal one sheds dirt and dries quickly. Who had the khaki one and do you like it? My other option is the navy one but I would prefer the lighter color. Thanks!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have the charcoal one and I LOVE it. I'm only sorry I didn't go for the raspberry wine one as I'm a sucker for happy colors. I was afraid of dirt on it. I do chores in my skirt every now and then and the dirt from baby goat hooves just brushes off. I also work in the garden in it and nothing sticks. I think any color you get will just brush clean and you won't be sorry. Next sale they have I will order a happy color and wear it every where. :)

I have both the charcoal and the stone (khaki) skirts and dirt/mud/dog paw prints brush right off. And except for the waistband, this time of year the skirts dry in about 11 minutes and the waist band not much longer.

WalkCWalk
- when in September will you be on your Camino?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I wore a brown Macabi and a navy one on the Camino last year....they were comfortable, cool, dried in minutes and best of all it was easy to sneak a quick wee without exposing my backside! Love it!

I see that there are different lengths offered in the Macabi. For those of you that have one for hiking, do you have a preference as to length? Thanks.

I walked in the black one, maybe charcoal...mud did just come right off of it.
I mentioned it put it on day 7 I think...possibly would have gone the whole trip without putting it on...
Once I did it was worn EVERY day after!!!!
I won't admit how few times I washed it :)

Day one it got really muddy as I was down in the water collecting seaglass...I thought to myself "oh NO" I can't believe I put this on, now what.
When I arrived to the auberge 30 minutes later I was as good as new all mud was gone!

I like the longer look as I don't like leg between skirt and sock...
I had a older manapproach me thinking I was a nun...he communicated to me by drawing a cross for me...

In a picture I did tell my Camino buddy, "look I look like a nun"...at which case he murmered, "or a witch"...
I loved my Macabi!

I see that there are different lengths offered in the Macabi. For those of you that have one for hiking, do you have a preference as to length? Thanks.
I am 160 cm tall and have the short which is long on me. Actually just right. I love it.

I understand there is a "Macabi Fan Club" here! :D
I never even heard about this marvelous thing before, so I had to Google it, to see what the fascination is all about (sounds like a MUST have!?) ;)

Hmmm....I'm not sure I get it??? Except you don't have to clean it (which IS good, but....???)...what IS it you love SO much about that thing???
Teach me pleeeeease!? :D

Cheers from the
The possible Macabi covert(?) :D

@Ullali , my Macabi was my 2nd outfit. It was my "evening wear". Very handy to put on after my shower, pulled up to cover the "girls" while I pulled on my top, and then the Macabi was pulled down into place. Fresh undies pulled on under and I was ready for dinner, mass, or whatever the evening called for. Total modesty without having to take multiple clean items into the shower area. When ready for bed
I donned the base layer I slept in, and pulled the Macabi off. In the morning if I wanted to remove base layer, I slipped on Macabi, removed base layer, put on hiking pants and finally took the Macabi off. Again total modesty without having to find a private corner.

That's how I used it. Loved it. One pair of hiking pants and one Macabi.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I understand there is a "Macabi Fan Club" here! :D
I never even heard about this marvelous thing before, so I had to Google it, to see what the fascination is all about (sounds like a MUST have!?) ;)

Hmmm....I'm not sure I get it??? Except you don't have to clean it (which IS good, but....???)...what IS it you love SO much about that thing???
Teach me pleeeeease!? :D

Cheers from the
The possible Macabi covert(?) :D

I wore my Macabi skirt every day I walked toward Santiago!

The skirt kept me warm during the cold mornings (I wore leggings that doubled up as sleep wear on colder days), cool during the blistering heat, and dry when it poured rain because it dries before your eyes! I threaded a scarf through the loops for color, and I am slightly on the vain side (oops, but true).

I had the long version in charcoal. I had many peregrinas come and ask me how I liked it and they were wishing they had taken the plunge. I am glad I did, will never travel without it.

I don't know about kaki (stone) but by bark (the green one) sheds dirt. But even if they get dirty they dry so quick that you can wash them every evening. I'm thinking of wearing my red this year but haven't decided yet. (Have a charcoal as well :) )

Beatrice, you have four - I think you just won the Macabi thread! I have three, I have to admit, and I wear the beige/stone one around the house and garden all the time it's so comfy. I even prepared for my Welsh walk in it, pockets full of pegs and tools, putting up tents and crawling in and out of them with no problem. I also got a black one for evening wear and bought the red one recently, looking to get a pop of colour, but though very happy the shade is not entirely me so I am selling it. I do wish they would make them in brighter colours since they shed dust and dirt anyway - blues, pinks, purples, greens, even patterns! And different colour straps and snaps! (Okay I'll stop now)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
This is all very interesting, and you have persuaded my wife and I to take the plunge and get them, but are they only available in the US, and only from their website? $77 USD each + postage + UK Import fees make these quite expensive... any idea if you can get them in the UK?

Many thanks

No, sadly you can't. Sometimes there are Macabis for sale in the Equipment section under Gear for sale - Gear needed, but even ebay doesn't have them very often.

GreatDane - we leave the US on September 1 and hope to begin our walk September 3. Look for WalkMWalk and I - we will be wearing our charcoal and the stone skirts!! Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My friend has the charcoal one and loves it. She has made a believer of me and I'm going to order one for my September Camino. Question for you Macabi wearers..... I want the khaki one, but will it show dirt? My friends charcoal one sheds dirt and dries quickly. Who had the khaki one and do you like it? My other option is the navy one but I would prefer the lighter color. Thanks!

My two black Macabis showed up yesterday, and I love them already. I'm planning on doing a couple of nights in Olympic National Park in the next month, so we'll see how they do "offroad." ;-)

They are presently out of the charcoal in my size and length, but I figure they'll make more.

Does anyone know who much the import duty to the UK is on these? Many thanks
Wondering if it is worthwhile getting it shipped to someone in the US, who can then post it on as a gift?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi awakeningaimee, it sounds confusing doesn't it ... This might help! Women of different sizes modeling the skirt and its variations. Hope that helps!

Beatrice, you have four - I think you just won the Macabi thread! I have three, I have to admit, and I wear the beige/stone one around the house and garden all the time it's so comfy. I even prepared for my Welsh walk in it, pockets full of pegs and tools, putting up tents and crawling in and out of them with no problem. I also got a black one for evening wear and bought the red one recently, looking to get a pop of colour, but though very happy the shade is not entirely me so I am selling it. I do wish they would make them in brighter colours since they shed dust and dirt anyway - blues, pinks, purples, greens, even patterns! And different colour straps and snaps! (Okay I'll stop now)
No no only three bark, red and charcoal. I love them. I will buy a charcoal in long (have regular) to use here in the winter to work. They are so comfy. I just wish they could do the straps in matching colour instead of green. And the D-ring in the back disturbs me sometimes when I walk with it as a short skirt. It bumps in to my legs and weights down the back. I wish they could come up with a better solution.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@BeatriceKarjalainen: Oh dear, but I think you will win anyway when you get the charcoal in Long! Besides I have sold my red one now so I am out of the competition. I have found a short adjustable strap in black to use with the black skirt and am hoping to find a happy looking one for the beige. Sorry Macabi, but walking is fun and we don't want to wear all drab colours!

Could you cut and remove the D-ring in the back and hook the clip to the loop it is hanging from? If you know what I mean? Or even just sew a simple loop a bit further down to clip it on to, that would make it look better in harem pants mode too.

@BeatriceKarjalainen: Oh dear, but I think you will win anyway when you get the charcoal in Long! Besides I have sold my red one now so I am out of the competition. I have found a short adjustable strap in black to use with the black skirt and am hoping to find a happy looking one for the beige. Sorry Macabi, but walking is fun and we don't want to wear all drab colours!

Could you cut and remove the D-ring in the back and hook the clip to the loop it is hanging from? If you know what I mean? Or even just sew a simple loop a bit further down to clip it too, that would make it look better in harem pants mode too.
I'll look in to the changes this weekend. I guess I could just remove the ring.

Does anyone know what the little black fabric loop inside on the front is for though?
The one that is a few inches down the front? I'll do some experimenting, but maybe it helps with turning the skirt into shorts?

I could be wrong, but I'll do some fiddling about with mine and see how that might work.

Hi ... I'm very tempted! My husband and I are starting the Frances August 29, intending to take it slowly, so I am packing for both September & October weather. Maybe one each of shorts, hiking pants & a Macabi?

For those of you who have walked the camino in your Macabi, during the days on the trail did you mainly wear it as a skirt, or in the other configurations? Also, I wonder if the fabric feels 'bunched up' (a droopy nuisance?) when the strap is in place to create shorts/pants?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi ... I'm very tempted! My husband and I are starting the Frances August 29, intending to take it slowly, so I am packing for both September & October weather. Maybe one each of shorts, hiking pants & a Macabi?

For those of you who have walked the camino in your Macabi, during the days on the trail did you mainly wear it as a skirt, or in the other configurations? Also, I wonder if the fabric feels 'bunched up' (a droopy nuisance?) when the strap is in place to create shorts/pants?
On the camino I used it as a long skirt in the mornings and if the weather was a little bit windy/cold. Otherwise as a short skirt. During hikes in the mountains here at home I have used them as shorts when crossing streams and climbing steep stony hills. I don't feel that the fabric is bulky or in the way. Never used the pants option.

I wear it mostly around the house and for shorter errand walks but hope to be back on the Camino in September in mine. I actually prefer the skirt or pants option, and don't think the material feels bunched up or a nuisance - in fact I think it feels more gathered and in the wind it works better. I intended to use it for night wear as pants too, so I could get up in the night and walk to the toilet without having to put anything else on and the skirt wouldn't bunch or slide up.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
What if you are only 5'3"?

Do you wear them long or snapped up? I am little confused as to how they work.

Thank you xoxo

Aimee -- I'm just shy of 5'3 and ordered the xs in short, as I typically wear a US size 4. It comes about midway down my shin. Hope that helps. If you want it closer to show length, you might want a regular.

I'll add that the Macabi fan club sold me as well, but when my skirt arrived I realized it wasn't for me. The waist felt tight and the fabric kind of billowy at the same time. So I'll return it and admire from afar. I also bought a Royal Robbins Discovery Skirt and I've worn it on every training walk with great comfort. To each her own :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm a smidge over 185 cm, so the long is perfect for me. I am really pleased with mine already, although I look forward to an XL long in charcoal being available.

Aimee -- I'm just shy of 5'3 and ordered the xs in short, as I typically wear a US size 4. It comes about midway down my shin. Hope that helps. If you want it closer to show length, you might want a regular.

I'll add that the Macabi fan club sold me as well, but when my skirt arrived I realized it wasn't for me. The waist felt tight and the fabric kind of billowy at the same time. So I'll return it and admire from afar. I also bought a Royal Robbins Discovery Skirt and I've worn it on every training walk with great comfort. To each her own :)

Vivello,

Thank you for the info. I'm not sure if it's for me or not. I am planning to walk in late autumn & early winter & the possible billowing & blowing concerns me.

I appreciate your sharing this with me. I'll take a look at the Royal Robbins as well.

Xoxo

Aimee

Hi Aimee, (@awakeningaimee )

I think in the video I posted it talks about that and says that the Macabi is good in weathers, I can certainly see if you put in the central strap and wear them as 'pants' or trousers, couple them with a pair of leggings and you should be good in cold temperatures. You could even wear thermals if it got that cold.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Since I'm walking the Via Lemovicensis and then the Frances from mid September until whenever (early December?) I'll be packing some running tights to wear under the Macabi when it's cold.

How do you wash and dry them? Mine accidentally went in the dryer and feels kinda of different... Or do you just shake and wear???

Hi Aimee, (@awakeningaimee )

I think in the video I posted it talks about that and says that the Macabi is good in weathers, I can certainly see if you put in the central strap and wear them as 'pants' or trousers, couple them with a pair of leggings and you should be good in cold temperatures. You could even wear thermals if it got that cold.

Cinimod,

Yes, I watched it when you posted it. It was very helpful & she says it's cool when it's warm & warm when it's cold out. I'm just wondering how much the wind would blow it as I have heard & read the fall & winter winds can be very strong. I am planning on taking leggings or runners tights & I think it would be great to have a skirt. I'm also concerned about chafing. Although, if I have the leggings then I should be okay on that I think.

I appreciate you lots.
Xoxo

Aimee

How do you wash and dry them? Mine accidentally went in the dryer and feels kinda of different... Or do you just shake and wear???
I tested my old green one today under the water tap. It soaked water, my new red repels water so I guess you need to re-impregnate them now and then. I'm still struggling over which one to bring on my camino. The red might be better in traffic etc. but the green doesn't scream "here I'm". I also have a red fleece so in the mornings I would be red from top to to if I bring the red one (or I have to buy a new fleece). And I guess the charcoal would be to hot.

And I guess the charcoal would be to hot.

Just in case it helps, I was watching QI last night (the Stephen Fry font of all knowledge program) and he asserted that there is no truth in the theory that dark clothes are hotter than light ones. With the exception of reflective silver, all test the same.

Just in case it helps, I was watching QI last night (the Stephen Fry font of all knowledge program) and he asserted that there is no truth in the theory that dark clothes are hotter than light ones. With the exception of reflective silver, all test the same.

I guess a silver skirt it has to be then.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I tested my old green one today under the water tap. It soaked water, my new red repels water so I guess you need to re-impregnate them now and then. I'm still struggling over which one to bring on my camino. The red might be better in traffic etc. but the green doesn't scream "here I'm". I also have a red fleece so in the mornings I would be red from top to to if I bring the red one (or I have to buy a new fleece). And I guess the charcoal would be to hot.

Re-impregnate? Sounds interesting... like the skirts now have a very full life :) (more complex than mine own, to be sure LOL) seriously, how does one re-impregnate?

Well i was insecure about the English word but my dictionary (Merriam-Webster) list it so I used it. But it seams to more mean "to cause (a material) to be filled or soaked with something" well the fabric got soaked by the liquid I sprayed on it :) and now proofed.

Thanks for all the information on the skirt ,my wife Pat has one on order. We start our camino on Aug.29th so Gimpywalker we will see you on the way. Small world isn't it?

Our two skirts arrived last week - one for me and one for my wife and love them... very comfy and practical - certainly not a fashion statement, but then that has never worried me...

My new (first) Macabi reached me in Canada after about 8 days in transit from the US. I am delighted with it. Function, fit & comfort all as hoped. There was a manufacturing defect in mine but as soon as I emailed Macabi they made a speedy reply & made things right between us very quickly. I've put the skirt on to show several visitors who were brave enough to ask about my Camino preparations. I could have sold two skirts in three days. Each time I put it on to 'demo' I ended up wearing it around home for the rest of the day. It felt so natural. Now trying to psych up for a 'test walk' with Macabi & backpack on the hilly streets of nearby suburbs. My twenty-something children will be rolling their eyes ... but I'm happy with it anyway!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Now trying to psych up for a 'test walk' with Macabi & backpack on the hilly streets of nearby suburbs. My twenty-something children will be rolling their eyes ... but I'm happy with it anyway!

We both wear ours whilst dog walking, and the British weather has given us some great wind and rain to test in the last few days...
These are our first two, bought after reading this thread!

I wore mine on a hike in the Boulder River Wilderness this weekend, and it was great. Snapped up one side when the temperature rose to 28, and managed to help push the car out of a ditch afterwards. I'm sold! As soon as they have charcoal in long XXLs again, I'll grab up a couple more.

I wore my Maccabi every day for nine weeks while walking the Mozárabe/via de la Plata/Sanabres in March-May this year. Although a little chilly first thing in the mornings, I found that I soon warmed up. Leggings were unecessary when walking. On long sunny afternoons I hitched up the sides, but mostly wore it full-length. This left me with a narrow "tan mark" on my lower legs! Although rather bulky, the skirt could be tucked into rain pants when this became necessary. My skirt was "storm" colour ( a kind of greenish grey) - very practical, didn't show the dirt. I was very happy with it. as for the price - check out their sales. the money that I saved here offset the postage to Australia, but even without that discount I consid the skirt to be good value for what you get. In June I walked for three weeks in England, this time wearing hiking pants: not as comfortable or practical as the Maccabi.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Any advice on underwear? I'm wondering if chaffing is an issue. I recall a previous thread talked about boy leg pants but I can't see how those are long enough. I don't want to wear leggings if it is hot.

I have bought a couple of pairs of running pants they come down to a couple of inches above my knees, also trying Marino wool long boxers

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My charcoal Macabi arrived yesterday!
Leaving my Tilley skirt at home this year!!
It is not so cute as amazingly practical!!

I restart my Camino sept 20th

Ellie

Went through my travel related bits and bobs today and found an adjustable black strap with just the right width, right length and plastic clips in both ends, so my black Macabi is now colour coordinated and well posh! Going alone so no one can get embarrassed by my slightly uncute-but-practical look. I'm thinking it will be great to sleep in too, then I can get down the wonky bunkbed ladders without having to get dressed first :D

Any advice on underwear? I'm wondering if chaffing is an issue. I recall a previous thread talked about boy leg pants but I can't see how those are long enough. I don't want to wear leggings if it is hot.
I wore my macabi every day of my walk from SJPP to Santiago in May and early June this year. Always with my usual bikini style knickers. I had no trouble with chaffing. On cold mornings I wore my leggings under the skirt and if it was cold and raining I pushed them up to knee height. I figured my bare legs would dry faster than the leggings. If it was windy I used a small carabena to link the back and front hem loops. I found that more comfortable than hooking the back through to the front strap.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Sounds good to me. I don't get chaffing under skirts normally but I've never walked a Camino in anything but trousers before. I'll go for my usual underwear but keep in mind the suggestions if I have any trouble.

I bought the lightest weight men's 6" compression shorts I could find. No "cup" section, all stretch, really light weight and dry fast. I would have bought women's but the were all too short and have that young girl fit...I wear my regular undies under and they do help with chafing. I plan to wear them as my sleep bottom too. ( bought them at Eastbay online - http://www.eastbay.com/product/mode...ay-evapor-6-compression-short-2.0-mens/purple ) I know Kanga that you are not in the US but maybe you can find an equivalent in Australia.

Taking the plunge indeed ... I am so enjoying walking in skirts instead of trousers that I am thinking about bringing one Macabi and one knee length one for scientific comparisons en route. Compression shorts seem great and will make good sleepwear - just a shame they don't give the weight of the different models!

€60,-
just a shame they don't give the weight of the different models!
I lucked out on the EastBay compression shorts being so light weight. Everything I found in local stores were real heavy. Plus the EastBay shorts have good sales- I got 2 pair for around $17 and that included free shipping.

I'm considering Ex-Officio Give'n-go boxer shorts for men. They are locally on special. And would be ideal except sooooo designed for men. I've found some really nice pure silk boxers but hideously expensive. Think I'll wait until I at least have a Camino in sight!

I just received my Macabi skirt and I love it! So far, I've worn it on vacation and found it awesome comfortable. Can't wait to try it on some long walks with my pack!

Vivello,

Thank you for the info. I'm not sure if it's for me or not. I am planning to walk in late autumn & early winter & the possible billowing & blowing concerns me.

I appreciate your sharing this with me. I'll take a look at the Royal Robbins as well.

Xoxo

Aimee
This is the Royal Robbins skirt I wore for most of our Camino last Sept/Oct:
http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/royal-robbins-urban-garden-skirt-27110341?id_colour=98

On cooler days, I wore lightweight thermal leggings as well. VERY comfortable. Will be using when we start again next week.

I have both the black and the slate blue Macabi skirts. I wish I'd gotten the red one because I'm sick of looking at dark colors. Too late now, I leave in 3 days.

I can't help with the khaki issue. All I know is that dirt seems to roll off of the skirts.

I've been training in them for a few months. I love the pockets. My only gripe is a silly one- I look like Granny Clampet when I wear one with my hiking boots! I don't care on the Camino but it looks ridiculous here at home. ;-)

You could buy a small container of glide or other anti-chafing stick and apply on your thighs. Just a thought.

I...My only gripe is a silly one- I look like Granny Clampet when I wear one with my hiking boots!...
Wow, are you ever right! I never realized Granny Clampet was wearing a Macabi!!
image018.jpg

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Do we have a special Macabi wearer wave or handshake, or do we just introduce ourselves on view? I am walking from Astorga mid September in a modded black one, please say hi and make me feel like less of a fashion disaster :D

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks for your pics, girls! Could you tell me what colours they are? I am still looking for one that has an actual colour and I particularly like the one @BeatriceKarjalainen is wearing!
The one in the picture is my charcoal.

Last year I used my Bark. Next time i maybe use my Red ;-)
Done%2521%2B-%2B1

@BeatriceKarjalainen Really, it looks so blue! I was sure it was a Dusty Blue or whatever they call them. I went for the safe option and got a Stone (beige) and a black and I prefer the black because I - well, I like wearing black and I do it at home all the time. I am looking forward to wearing a skirt this time, so much more comfortable and practical. Did you just bring the one each time?

@BeatriceKarjalainen Really, it looks so blue! I was sure it was a Dusty Blue or whatever they call them. I went for the safe option and got a Stone (beige) and a black and I prefer the black because I - well, I like wearing black and I do it at home all the time. I am looking forward to wearing a skirt this time, so much more comfortable and practical. Did you just bring the one each time?
Yes i only brought one. I also had a pair of zip off pants with me so shorts or long pants in the evening for me. Skirt when walking. I could have had 2 skirts but I was more thinking if it gets really cold I can put the trousers under the skirt. 2 skirts will not be as warm. No leggings with me.

I'm thinking one shorter beige skirt for warm days and the black Macabi for everything else - I never travel anywhere without long sleeve merino top and longjohns/tights, and with skirts you can just add and remove them without getting undressed!

I have both the black and the slate blue Macabi skirts. I wish I'd gotten the red one because I'm sick of looking at dark colors. Too late now, I leave in 3 days.

I can't help with the khaki issue. All I know is that dirt seems to roll off of the skirts.

I've been training in them for a few months. I love the pockets. My only gripe is a silly one- I look like Granny Clampet when I wear one with my hiking boots! I don't care on the Camino but it looks ridiculous here at home. ;-)
The comfort and convenience outweighs the fashion concerns. I always chose the top bunk if it was available and was easily able to get dressed before climbing down in the morning. Pull the skirt over my head and dress the top half then pull it down to my waist and I'm done. No privacy issues. My husband was usually in the bottom bunk and didn't notice wriggling and jiggling that would have been associated with donning pants. Also didn't have to take everything to, and queue at the bathroom to dress. I shortened mine by a couple of inches but still below knee level, but hiking footwear is never going to make a skirt look glamorous!

Do we have a special Macabi wearer wave or handshake, or do we just introduce ourselves on view? I am walking from Astorga mid September in a modded black one, please say hi and make me feel like less of a fashion disaster :D
I think we need to come up with one. Lol. What wonderful idea ;-)

€60,-
HelenB- just saw your comment to my post. Great idea cutting down your skirt. Did you have to move the loops or rings at all? Honestly, I really like mine long.
I'm not super modest so I don't worry much about using the skirt as a cover up. Though I do love those deep pockets! What is it about a Macabi!?

Last edited:
I've been taking hikes in the North Cascades with mine, and love them. Today we were scrambling over knee high roots and river rocks, and snapping up the sides did the trick.

I am one sad South African :( I tried to organize buying a Macabi skirt but it did not work out and now all your recommendations are adding salt to the wound. On a happier note, I start my first camino, CN, three weeks today. Can't wait.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am one sad South African :( I tried to organize buying a Macabi skirt but it did not work out and now all your recommendations are adding salt to the wound. On a happier note, I start my first camino, CN, three weeks today. Can't wait.
How didn't it work out? Couldn't they send it to SA?

Get it sent to your starting point?

Buen Camino!

How didn't it work out? Couldn't they send it to SA?

Get it sent to your starting point?

Buen Camino!
I could not get my order to go through. I was ordering from South Africa but my delivery address was US because someone was going to bring it to S A for me. I don't think the computer liked the billing address and delivery address being different countries.

Thanks for your pics, girls! Could you tell me what colours they are? I am still looking for one that has an actual colour and I particularly like the one @BeatriceKarjalainen is wearing!

Hi @nidarosa, I'm wearing the dusty blue, but it looks darker, because I'm in shadows. It's a lighter, pretty blue. Navy is usually my go-to color, but I made myself choose the dusty color. It's an easy color to mix and match. I've got my eye on the raspberry wine color one!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Just call them. They have trouble with the processing part of the website and she'll be happy to put it through manually for you. I'm in the US and I couldn't order online, either.

SOLD

Posting here because I swear no one knows where the Equipment for Sale part of Caminodesantiago.me is...

Stone Macabi Skirt For Sale, short lenght, size medium:
I'm finding that I like the length of my Regular better than the short. Stone is the khaki tan color. If you'd like a photo I can post one later. Or PM me with your email and I'll email you back with a photo.

$50 includes US shipping. PayPal only, US only at this time. Thanks!!!!

If this violates anything - posting a for sale in a regular post, please PM me.

Last edited:
@BeatriceKarjalainen: Re "I just wish they could do the straps in matching colour instead of green" - I do agree with you. So today I have 1) swapped the beigey-green strap for a black one from something else, 2) cut two pieces off it and sealed them with a lighter. Then I 3) removed the beigey-green D-ring attachment webbing on the inside back of the skirt, replaced it with the black webbing and also moved it down a bit to make the pants look better. Also the front loop to clip the strap to was badly stitched and almost fell off on the first use, so I 4) unpicked the D-ring from the left of the waist band and re-stitched it on the other piece of black webbing in the front centre.

It looks better (I think) and makes it sturdier too - I use the strap most of the time, I like it clipped up MC Hammer style :D

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Has something gone wrong with mine? I thought water was supposed to run off them? Yesterday went out in the rain and got soaking legs. ... Only had it three weeks.

Has something gone wrong with mine? I thought water was supposed to run off them? Yesterday went out in the rain and got soaking legs. ... Only had it three weeks.
It is water repellant not water proof. In contact with water during heavy/long rain or walking in high grass it will be wet.

When it DOES get wet, it dries in under an hour.

I LOVE my Macabi skirts!

This year I took two, a charcoal and a tan.
Next season I'm only taking one.
They NEVER get dirty and when you wash them will dry faster than you can believe.

Also, they're looking into a slimmer version - maybe a bit more stylish.
But I like the roomy version :)
More space to put "stuff" in the pockets.

More than once, I was asked if I was a nun.
::laughing::
Who cares?
It's the Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
HelenB- just saw your comment to my post. Great idea cutting down your skirt. Did you have to move the loops or rings at all? Honestly, I really like mine long.
I'm not super modest so I don't worry much about using the skirt as a cover up. Though I do love those deep pockets! What is it about a Macabi!?
Sorry to take so long getting back to you. Yes I did move the rings so that they stayed the same original distance from the hem. I have short legs so it was still mid calf.

€46,-
Last year I used my Bark. Next time i maybe use my Red ;-)
Done%2521%2B-%2B1
I am about to order yet another Macabi skirt and see that you have the bark colored one. Yes I know monitors may not represent a color accurately. I was wondering if you think the color of your bark skirt i is pretty close to the real life color??? Bark appears to have a slight trace of green to it on the Macabi website and your skirt doesn't - AND I'd prefer the skirt with out a green trace to it!!

I am about to order yet another Macabi skirt and see that you have the bark colored one. Yes I know monitors may not represent a color accurately. I was wondering if you think the color of your bark skirt i is pretty close to the real life color??? Bark appears to have a slight trace of green to it on the Macabi website and your skirt doesn't - AND I'd prefer the skirt with out a green trace to it!!
Would say it is green. It matches the strap quite well but not that green. I call it my green skirt. But it is not as greenish as on their web page. See http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-wm_R70fcN..._f0/rlCoOJz3PXc/s1600/IMG_20131023_232035.jpg for another picture. Compare with the straps to the buttons on the sides. The straps are in the same colour on all my skirts so I guess you have the same on yours.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Would say it is green. It matches the strap quite well but not that green. I call it my green skirt. But it is not as greenish as on their web page...
Oh bummer, I was hoping that it was "just" like the color appears in the photo above. Brownish taupe like The North Face uses in their convertible pants, rather than taupe-green. So now I am conflicted. And not sure if it would arrive in time for my trip anyway. Guess I'll be wearing my charcoal!

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back