• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Macabi skirt - I'm taking the plunge

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Today is day 16 out of 18 wearing my bark Macabi. I wore the shorts from my convertible pants two days. Should have just left them at home. I am in Burgos and will head to Madrid tomorrow. Caught the camino cold, got to test the Burgos health system (BRAVO!!!!) and am finding the tourist guide to Burgos museums a bit off, but that is another post later.

On the trail I found my medium length Macabi perfect. Warm on cool mornings, cool on hot afternoons. Only once did I bother to make shorts out of them and that was after a potty break behind the only tree stand for many KMs. Yes there is an advantage to not having to pull your shorts down to pee!!!! And you can cover up your front side with the skirt if you are a bit shy. I never found the Macabi fabric catching on anything, even those trail sections with nettles hanging over. I have only hiked the skirt up a couple times as a precaution so I wouldn't step on it on every steep steps or on the way down to an ancient Roman bridge. I have had to cinch up my belt a bit!!!!

While walking I had my daily money stash in one pocket and attached to my belt. The lanyard section could have been 2 inches longer. Note to self for next time. Reading glasses went in the same pocket. The other pocket held my guide book, travel Kleenex (which I can only find at china bazaar stores and it's extremely inexpensive at .60€ for a 6-8 pack) .at one point I also shoved my rain shell into a pocket in case I needed it again soon. Occasionally I'd have a water or banana in my pocket. As I walked I sometimes thought if the skirt had one more pocket and you packed very very carefully in the summer you could go without a pack (sure... It's my afternoon vino tinto talking.

Touring Burgos I have a 2L sea to summit waterproof stuff sack in one pocket that contains my iPad mini, a Burgos map, the aforementioned mostly wrong guide to the museums and a pen. Other pocket is my passports in the zippered passport pocket, Kleenex, reading glasses and my daily money. The stuff sack is attached to my belt.

I'm sure I look like hell but who cares!!!! Comfort is queen in the Macabi!!!! Oh and I am known on the camino as the woman with the skirt. I've been stopped by strangers (pilgrims that weren't in my evening social pod) and they say oh you're the woman hiking in one of those skirts!!!!!! I could have sold 6 so far.

Last edited:
I have worn my macabi everyday except the day I washed it. I too had to buy a toggle for it as I lost enough weight it was falling down. Best investment I ever made and even though I was asked numerous personal questions, am I in a cult, am I a Mormon?!?, do you like hiking in a skirt (like it was a bad thing?!?) I would for sure wear one again. Comfy, could stash half my pack in the pockets and never ever got dirty--I only washed cause I thought that after three weeks maybe I should. It shed the rain and didn't flap up in the wind. I never bothered with tacking it up....lots of breezes got in anyway and the only time I tripped on it was when it fell off my hips (before toggle--thank you man in Astorga). I love this skirt!!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
When I got to Madrid where people have no idea what the Camino de Santiago is, I felt a little (not by much) underdressed for the big city so I wore my macabi with my black hiking shirt hanging out and used my sarong as a belt. I though I looked quite fashionable!!! I am looking forward to the Macabi skort for city wear.

I have worn my macabi everyday except the day I washed it. I too had to buy a toggle for it as I lost enough weight it was falling down. Best investment I ever made and even though I was asked numerous personal questions, am I in a cult, am I a Mormon?!?, do you like hiking in a skirt (like it was a bad thing?!?)

Hahaha! I was asked several times if I was a nun!

What a great forum! I think Annie Santiago was the first one to send me a link to this but a few others have as well. I'm so happy to see so many wonderful reviews of our skirts! I've seen a lot of customers from this forum and because of that I want to offer all of you 10% off on your next skirt purchase. Anyone who sees this post can enter the coupon code CAMINO7 when checking out and receive 10% off their skirt. This coupon will be good for one month. It ends on November 26th, 2014.

Thank you again!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I wore mine on a hike in the Boulder River Wilderness this weekend, and it was great. Snapped up one side when the temperature rose to 28, and managed to help push the car out of a ditch afterwards. I'm sold! As soon as they have charcoal in long XXLs again, I'll grab up a couple more.

Rachael, I don't know if you received our email but they're back in stock! :)

I didn't, but I noticed they were back in stock last week and jumped on it! :) Thanks so much---they are really wonderful!

@Macabi Skirts, I read in one of the posts in this thread that you are working on a more steamlined model (less volume). If that is the case, do you have an idea of when it will be available? I keep getting the urge to order NOW, and then I stop and think: but maybe they'll come up with a new colour the day after and I'll regret it. Now not only do I hope for augergine but for a narrower model. Thank you.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We have run into a few design hiccups with the slim skirt bu we're still hoping to have it available sometime this year. It won't be anytime soon though unfortunately.

We have run into a few design hiccups with the slim skirt bu we're still hoping to have it available sometime this year. It won't be anytime soon though unfortunately.
Thank you for taking the time to respond and best of luck working out the kinks in the slim skirt design.

Hi, I am wanting to sell a brand new medium size short length Macabi in Blue. I have a black one which I love, Macabi sent me the wrong blue, I wanted the Midnight Blue and I ended up with the lighter blue...I am happy to sell it for 1/2 normal price, as long as you pay for the postage. I am on Paypal, so could pay me through that...Gitti

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I bought the lightest weight men's 6" compression shorts I could find. No "cup" section, all stretch, really light weight and dry fast. I would have bought women's but the were all too short and have that young girl fit...I wear my regular undies under and they do help with chafing. I plan to wear them as my sleep bottom too. ( bought them at Eastbay online - http://www.eastbay.com/product/mode...ay-evapor-6-compression-short-2.0-mens/purple ) I know Kanga that you are not in the US but maybe you can find an equivalent in Australia.
FYI, international shipping and handling is 28% of the net order total, or a minimum of $39.99. A little steep for 10$ items. Too bad.

I think this is the thread with some posts about problems with skirt creep, but I'm too lazy to read all the way through to find them again.

I think I know what the problem may be. Currently I'm doing a lot of walking in a short length macabi and on really windy days it is a problem, because of the length of the skirt. I don't have any problems when I wear a regular length. (I'm 5'7", for reference.) So go dowdy and longer and the skirt is more inclined to stay put.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Ordered a Macabi and it arrived today. Here is my review: IMPRESSED! But, since a good review is only credible if it includes neggies, here goes:

It you are not slim, it will not make you slim, then again, if you are like me, rare are the items that will make you a size 6 again, or ever! ;0) Did follow advice to order a size smaller if wanting a narrower fit: perfect advice. Squeezed myself into an outline I could go along with and still felt comfy.

Ordered charcoal, wondered if it would be booooooring. It is actually a very pretty grey.

Weight and texture: AMAzING! And it does come with the "Supplex" tag to identify the material, so if you want to handmade yourself items made from supplex, just google. Wonderful material. Will look for other products made with it. Uber lightweight.

Pockets: the deep ones are ubber deep - perhaps to tempting to fill out, like a backpack, and maybe your Iphone cord will be too short for earphones - still have to try. Smaller 'hidden' pocket - not sure it will fit Credencial, but it will fit credit card, med insurance card and euro coins - passport, not sure. Wish it had it on both side: one for coins, one for magnetic strips on various cards. Also wish opening the zipper was easier to work, perhaps starting up to bottom rather than down to up.

Managed to shorten the skirt in front and sides, but not back. Have sent email asking for instructions, as well as for 'pant shape", but even if I got no answer I would be happy with my own way of doing sides and front up. As for the different color ribbon hanging in the front: I think it olive, but couldn't really say as it blends in really well with the charcoal: zeron issue.

Bottom line: wish all my walking clothes were are light and compact as this skirt and cannot wait to test it with real items in pockets (used to cargo pockets on each side of pants: on for passport and other important items, one for semi-important items such as a few larger bills, and little pocket for Iphone and small change.

Wonder what a supplex shirt, pj, and al. would look like ;0)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Just finished a 4 week trip to India and Hong Kong wearing exclusively my Macabi skirt as well as my homemade improved design supplex nylon skirt. The two skirts worked great, kept my passport and money in the zippered pocket. I looked presentable when visiting temples and churches. And with all of the women wearing saris I was covered and modest in appearance. My only issue is in hot humid weather, the skirt becomes stuck to your rear end when sitting down and must be peeled off when you stand up. I sure hope this didn't look too bad as I reached around and pulled the skirt away from my body. :eek: I felt self conscious for sure. Gladly it won't be so hot and humid in Spain in April when I start my camino.

Last edited:
Hey everyone, just wanting to let you all know that I'm reinstating the 10% off discount for anyone who sees it in this thread. This coupon is good until October right now. Please use coupon code CAMINO7 when checking out. Thank you!

Man, I need a discount!
I've turned so many people on to these skirts I should have stock in the danged company!
It's about time you joined us, Ms. Macabi!
Welcome to the Forum!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Saw a post about Purple Rain Skirts for hiking. But they seem to be on the short side & more in line for youngsters rather than a 60+ woman. Any comments from forum members?
Suzanne :)

Saw a post about Purple Rain Skirts for hiking. But they seem to be on the short side & more in line for youngsters rather than a 60+ woman. Any comments from forum members?

I ordered one of each. Will choose one to take with me. The macabi is tempting with all the pockets and the PR I like because of the shorter length.... I may just have to close my eyes and pick or simply take both. I'm of to Paris in 18 days and starting from SJPP ON THE 12th. Excited and nervous.... :D

Last edited:
Buen Camino Evergreen.
Let us know your thoughts on the skirts.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

I just googled them and they look very nice, a mini skirt really... Personally, I would feel more comfortable in shorts then. ( I walk in England and there are numerous stiles to climb over! )
My thoughts are : if you're young, you're going to look pretty whatever you wear, be it a Macabi or shorts or a Purple rain mini. If you're older, as in my case, I go for comfort. :oops:

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hey everyone, just wanting to let you all know that I'm reinstating the 10% off discount for anyone who sees it in this thread. This coupon is good until October right now. Please use coupon code CAMINO7 when checking out. Thank you!
Just ordered my Macabi skirt in charcoal, short, large. So grateful for the coupon discount. Thank you. Now I wait.

Just ordered my Macabi skirt in charcoal, short, large. So grateful for the coupon discount. Thank you. Now I wait.
It's nice, deep, warm charcoal. You will like it! I am thinking of buying a second one and take the scisors to it to have something above the knee, but with all the pockets, even if it doesn't turn into pants and shorts.

I wear the Purple Rain skirt for hiking in England. The length is easy to adjust because of the yoga-style waistband. Mine sits on my knee. I frequently hop over stiles (and there are some pretty high ones) without any modesty issues. It has four pockets, which don't sag with weight, and is incredibly comfortable. You cannot feel the waistband under a pack. And of course, no belt needed as the waistband is self-adjusting. As for being suitable for the over sixties, it is after all just a skirt, not a fashion item. 'Nuff said!:)

All this enthusiasm has me convinced. I just ordered charcoal (seems to be a color-of-choice) in regular length for my October camino. It sounds like it will be great for layering tights and/or pants underneath in the colder mornings and make it easy to remove various layers as the day warms up. Plus, good for churches, cities, etc. It should look perfect with my sandals, but probably a little, well, weird -- oops, I mean camino chic o_O -- with boots. But what the heck! At 63, I'm looking for comfort over style. :)

Thank to all who posted photos, they really help. And extra- big thanks to Macabi Skirts for the 10 percent discount!!

I hope you like it. I'm used to the funny looks now but at first found it a bit intimidating... I could hear the whispers 'she's French you know....' Lol
Even last week-end, hopping over stiles, peeps were asking me 'have you always walked in a skirt?'... I had to explain that no, I hadn't and I didn't belong to some sect either lol, but that I had walked across Muslim countries and this was the best way - I thought - to avoid attention. And it was !
The rest is history :)

My skirt just arrived and I fell in love with it immediately! And to tell the truth, worn as a skirt with my hiking sandals, I think it looks rather attractive, if I do say so myself. :) I would have no trouble wearing it anywhere a casual look is called for. As suspected, though, the hiking boots do nothing for the fashion statement!! Oh well......

I'm still playing around with the clips and loops. Turning it into shorts was rather easy, but I had a bit more trouble figuring out pants.

Am I correct that there will always be a Macabi strap hanging down the front in the pants mode? And do I thread the strap through the inside loop part-way down the front seam? Is the harem-pant look basically how it stays, or is there a way to do it a bit more streamlined?

Any advice, comments, appreciated!

Mine is a medium, regular length, in charcoal. I'm 5'4" and weigh about 130, and it falls to just above my ankles. I find it very comfortable around the waist, not bulky at all. I think it's just as attractive with a top tucked in as hanging out, no bunching. For me the volume is about right, although I'd also be interested in a "slim" version.

I love the Supplex fabric. For some reason I thought to fabric would be much heavier, more like a micro-fiber suede. My husband has Supplex pants and he practically lives in them. Just this morning I commented that I wanted to get a pair of pants for myself in "exactly that same fabric." Little did I realize I had a skirt/pants/shorts already sitting in our mailbox!

Macabi sent the package out two-day delivery, e-mailed me that it was on its way, and gave me a tracking number to check up on it. Excellent service and the 10 percent discount pretty much made the shipping cost a washout. Thank you, Macabi Skirts! And thank you, Camino forum enthusiasts. This site is amazing.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
This is so cool. I have mine ready to go on my Camino on May 17th - good to hear such positive results on wearing it on the Camino.

I have taken a black one and a charcoal one on this Camino, and they have been completely fabulous. I wear a pair of boxers underneath on warm days, and lightweight Wintersilks leggings on cold ones. Worn with either (or both when it's really cold) of my summer-weight merino tunics, they are really practical, and can still be "dressed up" with my washable wool pashmina (which also doubles as a towel and triples as a turban).

I've been able to go from concerts in Paris to various Masses to mucking through mud and sudden downpours in the Morvan, and they have been splendid. They wash up perfectly and dry fastfastfast. I'm going to buy a raspberry one when I get home.

I've got a black and navy skirt with me on camino now and to my surprise I am the only person I have seen wearing a skirt. I am known as the old broad wearing the skirt who walks really slow. Someone also asked me if I was from France.
Somehow after reading this thread, I thought most women would be wearing Macabis. Not true. Also haven't seen any kilts.
Anyway if I were to do it again, I would bring one skirt and one pair of pants. Oh and the chaffing on the inner theighs. Don't forget something to wear under the Macabi. My silk long johns only lasted 5 days before the thighs blew out. Had to round up a pair of shorts in Logrono.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I've been walking in mine with silk boxer-briefs from Wintersilks to avoid "chub rub." It's been over a month of walking and so far, so good.

If you want to wear the skirt in its short form, what do you do with the back? I get you use the snap buttons on the side with the little ribbons near the hem, the front you clip up with that long strap. But the rear? I emailed Macabi to see if they would send me a snap button and a bit of ribbon to attach the rear as well, but no answer... So the back of the shirts hangs almost to midcalf when the front and sides are just above the knee. Any thoughts?

If you want to wear the skirt in its short form, what do you do with the back? I get you use the snap buttons on the side with the little ribbons near the hem, the front you clip up with that long strap. But the rear? I emailed Macabi to see if they would send me a snap button and a bit of ribbon to attach the rear as well, but no answer... So the back of the shirts hangs almost to midcalf when the front and sides are just above the knee. Any thoughts?
I'm not understanding how that is happening. I connect my strap to the fabric loop on the outside in front and to the "ring" inside the back. Then I snap up the sides and mine hangs evenly all the way around which happens to be half-way between my bottom and knees---maybe a little shorter.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm not understanding how that is happening. I connect my strap to the fabric loop on the outside in front and to the "ring" inside the back. Then I snap up the sides and mine hangs evenly all the way around which happens to be half-way between my bottom and knees---maybe a little shorter.
Cher, does that mean you are basically walking in shorts, with the long front strap between your legs?

Cher, does that mean you are basically walking in shorts, with the long front strap between your legs?
Yes that is how it would work. I don't hike in mine. On the Camino it is my "evening" and "off day" wear. Off the Camino it is my travel garment. I love it on the plane.

Isn't that how yours is when you have it snapped up? I guess I don't do short skirt. It's either long skirt, pants or shorts. I think I'll try short skirt and see what I get.

If I'm doing it right, I don't like short skirt without the strap between my legs. It barely shows and I don't feel it at all. Reminds me more of what we used to call "skorts". Looks like a skirt but is divided.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If I'm doing it right, I don't like short skirt without the strap between my legs. It barely shows and I don't feel it at all. Reminds me more of what we used to call "skorts". Looks like a skirt but is divided.
Yes, that is the only way I figured it could be done, but the strap does annoy me. I'll see what I figure out as I don't want to completley ruin the look ;0) Thanks.

Yikes I wore mine just snapped up on the sides. The center front and back hung lower. Sort of a scalloped effect. It was cooler but looked quite bad I think.

Picked up my modified Macabi from the seamstress yesterday and it is now perfect to wear as a short skirt. So happy!

Last edited by a moderator:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
On the back of the skirt, inside it, there is a bit of ribbon with a D-ring. You're supposed to use the D-Ring to bring it forward to turn the skirt into pants or shorts. As I don't like having that grosgrain ribon between my legs, and cannot imaging wearing the skirt as shorts or pants, I had the D-ring removed and a snap fastener put instead, just as is already done on the sides of the skirt. Looks as if it was made that way.

€83,-
I've been walking in mine with silk boxer-briefs from Wintersilks to avoid "chub rub." It's been over a month of walking and so far, so good.
Chub Rub, eh? Well, that describes it exactly. I hate the little cotton balls that appear on the inside thigh area of pants because of this phenomenon. I have cut Hershey, Cadbury and Godiva out of my will because Chub Rub. I don't wear skirts anymore because of the Chub Rub, but your idea of lining with silk boxer briefs is brilliant! Perhaps.....Hmmm....

Coleen, upon someone's advice on this forum I ordered some of these men's "compression" shorts to wear under a Macabi. They are very light (hence the reason compression is a bit of stretch) and comfortable.

Just make sure you get them in the 8 inch length and that you do not order them too large or they will roll up, all the way up. I made a mistake and ordered the 5inch length in a size too big so I had an elastic band added to each leg to keep them in place: http://www.eastbay.com/XYPromo/model:208810/sku:6956102/?xyMessage=none&recent=1

DSCF1451.JPG Wore mine on a trip to the southwest US this week. Very comfy. Easy travel and walk in. I think I am fairly short so I think I want to get the shorter version for the Camino. This is the regular length which you can see is quite long on me.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you @girl guide, your posting was very timely. Have just this minute bought a Macabi skirt. I gulped at the postal fees (40 USD to France), so thank goodness for 20% discount!!!

Has anyone experience with hiking in a dress, not just a skirt? Maybe like this: http://m.cotswoldoutdoor.com/weird-fish-womens-lily-tea-dress-27110381?id_colour=
Hi, just back from Camino 2 days ago and did the whole thing with 3 dresses of various weighs, felt very comfortable the whole time. Had leggings for underneath which I wore mostly at night. Would avoid the knitted cotton dresses, too heavy, too liable to retain sweat and make you cold, and too long to dry.

Thank you @girl guide, your posting was very timely.
You're very welcome. I'm from Germany so I've been checking the page for a sale for that very reason. There'll still be a customs fee so this is the only way I can sort of justify the purchase to myself... :)

View attachment 18592 Wore mine on a trip to the southwest US this week. Very comfy. Easy travel and walk in. I think I am fairly short so I think I want to get the shorter version for the Camino. This is the regular length which you can see is quite long on me.
I've also found that traveling in my Macabi is the way to go. It's more comfortable on a plane than any other garment that I have worn...and airplane food/drink wipes right off.

10520211_1463935113864452_269982548_n.jpg

10598605_924157447600693_1498572076_n.jpg

€83,-
Took my Macabi on its first Camino. While I wore my pants during the day I did enjoy having the skirt for the evening.

Two things I liked the most: you can slip it on even if you are not perfectly dry and wait to be before slipping on the unmentionables. And the pockets! Pickpockets bring it on! Just try to reach in there to grab my money or my phone. OK, 3rd thing I love about it: it's super light.

Now that I'm back home I will keep playing with it. I have made changes to it so that the back doesn't hand lower then the front when wearing it short. Next: see if it can be shortened by folding it under rather that over. I also want to see how I could decrease its volume while still making it so convinient.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
image.jpgI ordered a Macabi skirt. The skirt itself had plenty of fabric but I didn't like waistband - the way it was put together made it too (firm?) and too tight. I spent a week going back and forth between sending it back for the next size larger or taking the waistband apart and remaking it. I'm ok at sewing crafts but am horrible at making clothes. Remaking it won. (Scary since the skirts aren't cheap and I could ruin it.) I took the waistband apart to remove the elastic. No small task since I had to remove multiple seams. Then I added two button holes in the front to thread the new belt (?) through, folded/sewed the empty waistband back in place, made a belt of softer elastic and ribbon with C-rings on one end for a buckle, then threaded the new belt through the new waistband. I really like the skirt now. The waistband is softer and more adjustable.

Last edited:
Isn't it amzing that we like this piece of clothing so much that we are willing to do so much to it to make it just perfect! I agree, the waist is quite stiff, but at least my Macabi will not fall down or be required by my backpack hip belt to stay up en route as I lose weight ;0)

I also wear mine only in evenings and find it perfect to slip into after a shower. I also like traveling in it. When not Caminoing I usually wear tight trousers or leggins but don't like to fly with tight clothes. This year alone my Macabi has enjoyed Hawaii, Minnesota, NYC, western KY and it just flew into Oslo yesterday. I'm not even going to say how many (really how few) times it's been washed while doing all that traveling.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thanks for all the updates, everyone. I just got back from a (non-camino) trip where I tried out my Macabi and it worked out great. Not only was it comfortable on the very long plane ride, but I felt perfectly presentable when we walked into our hotel. We were in rather conservative countries where most women were wearing skirts, so even though I could have gotten away with slacks as a western tourist, I felt much more comfortable (and respectful) in the skirt. And I also LOVE the pockets! I easily fit passport, credit cards, small camera, in them, no lugging around (and clutching to) a purse. Yes!

Three weeks, multiple wearings, and another long plane ride later, the skirt still looked perfect when I arrived back in Philadelphia. My husband thinks I should have two! :)

I wore my Macabi and my homemade improved design skirt for seven weeks on the camino and touring spain. I only had the two skirts and wore them every day. They worked very well and were very good with the deep pockets for holding water bottles, tablet computers and passports in the zippered pocket. So next time I travel would I take only two skirts? Probably not. Two skirts and a pair of pants or capris, yes or one skirt and a pair of capris, yes. Two skirts and nothing else.... no. But the Macabi skirt is really a versatile and comfortable garment, and great for travel. If you aren't that into pants then you should consider a Macabi for the camino. The Macabi is stored with my travel clothes for the next adventure.

Last edited:
I wore my Macabi and my homemade improved design skirt for seven weeks on the camino and touring spain. They worked very well and were very good with the deep pockets for holding water bottles, tablet computers and passports in the zippered pocket. .
How did you improve your skirt, and how did you a tablet in the pocket?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
How did you improve your skirt, and how did you a tablet in the pocket?
I wanted to reduce the bulk in the waistband and leave off all of the snaps, straps and loops as I really didn't think I wanted to turn the skirt into pants.
If you look at the Macabi you will notice that the elasticized waistband is formed by folding over the skirt and inserting the elastic and drawstring. It is really bulky in the center front where the skirt is also pleated. On my design I made a separate waist band. The skirt has the same front pleats as the Macabi but the waistband is not pleated. Also I did not put elastic in the front waistband between the two pockets so that small area of the skirt waistband is not gathered. My design has the waist band gathered everywhere else but in the front. So the appearance is smoother, less bulk in front. I also made the entire front of the skirt and the entire back from one piece of fabric and eliminated the front and rear center seam. I wanted something that looked a little dressier. I also used french seams which are strong but are inside the skirt instead of the seaming technique used in the Macabi which is very strong but is like the type used on blue jeans and is visible on the outside of the skirt.

The Macabi has that great little pocket inside the pocket for holding a cell phone. I also have this pocket but in the skirt I made, I made this larger to fit a 8 inch Galaxy Tab 4, as I didn't have a cell phone, only the tablet. I don't know if the pocket could be made larger for larger tablets, as the 8" really fills the pocket. I copied the Macabi zippered security pocket and if I made another improved design skirt, I would be tempted to add an additional zippered pocket in the left pocket as with my passport, credit card, debit card, medical insurance card and money all in the one pocket it was bulky.

Now that I've worn it on the Camino I have found I need to add the drawstring in the waist as by the end of my camino I was having to safety pin the waistband smaller so I'll be adding this feature.

I made my skirt out of Supplex nylon that I purchased on eBay. This is the same fabric as the Macabi skirt. Supplex comes in very wide widths, I believe 72 inches so with two yards you have plenty to make the skirt with the pockets. Before sewing the skirt, I melted the cut edges of the nylon fabric which will prevent the fabric from raveling. I just pass the cut edge through a candle flame very briefly, until the edge has been melted. If you try this, practice on a scrap first.
Laura

I hate how I think I would look in a macabi - I am shortish, thickish around the middle, and would have skinny chicken legs sticking out the bottom. I never wear skirts. However, I am (almost) tempted to get one just so I can participate in this process of perfecting and customizing what seems to be a very clever garment!

I wanted to reduce the bulk in the waistband and leave off all of the snaps, straps and loops as I really didn't think I wanted to turn the skirt into pants.
If you look at the Macabi you will notice that the elasticized waistband is formed by folding over the skirt and inserting the elastic and drawstring. It is really bulky in the center front where the skirt is also pleated. On my design I made a separate waist band. The skirt has the same front pleats as the Macabi but the waistband is not pleated. Also I did not put elastic in the front waistband between the two pockets so that small area of the skirt waistband is not gathered. My design has the waist band gathered everywhere else but in the front. So the appearance is smoother, less bulk in front. I also made the entire front of the skirt and the entire back from one piece of fabric and eliminated the front and rear center seam. I wanted something that looked a little dressier. I also used french seams which are strong but are inside the skirt instead of the seaming technique used in the Macabi which is very strong but is like the type used on blue jeans and is visible on the outside of the skirt.

The Macabi has that great little pocket inside the pocket for holding a cell phone. I also have this pocket but in the skirt I made, I made this larger to fit a 8 inch Galaxy Tab 4, as I didn't have a cell phone, only the tablet. I don't know if the pocket could be made larger for larger tablets, as the 8" really fills the pocket. I copied the Macabi zippered security pocket and if I made another improved design skirt, I would be tempted to add an additional zippered pocket in the left pocket as with my passport, credit card, debit card, medical insurance card and money all in the one pocket it was bulky.

Now that I've worn it on the Camino I have found I need to add the drawstring in the waist as by the end of my camino I was having to safety pin the waistband smaller so I'll be adding this feature.

I made my skirt out of Supplex nylon that I purchased on eBay. This is the same fabric as the Macabi skirt. Supplex comes in very wide widths, I believe 72 inches so with two yards you have plenty to make the skirt with the pockets. Before sewing the skirt, I melted the cut edges of the nylon fabric which will prevent the fabric from raveling. I just pass the cut edge through a candle flame very briefly, until the edge has been melted. If you try this, practice on a scrap first.
Laura
I keep thinking we are doing a lot of R&D for Macabi

I agree with the waist, especially since having to wear antichaffing biking shorts under it already. And the volume, i wonder if so much is needed. I also wonder how important the conversion to pants and shorts is to clients? Perhaps a second skirt, that is only a skirt, to be worn long or short, and may require less material could be of interest. For me the material, pockets and long/short feature are the selling points. The draw back the fit, waist and price. Thanks for explainign all the changes you made!

And the volume, i wonder if so much is needed.

I don't think I would make a skirt as full as the Macabi if I made another. I'd just consider putting in a back slit or perhaps two side slits for movement. I would probably just take my hip measurement add an inch or two and make that the circumference. I might make is below the knee too, instead of to the ankle, since I have two long skirts already. I've thought about adding a casing on each side seam from the bottom of the skirt to maybe 10 inches below the waist with two cords in the casing so you could pull up the sides of the skirt and tie the cords in a bow, for better ventilation. I think it would also be kind of decorative as well as practical.

I would never use the pants feature. They don't turn into pants that will allow you to not wear the anti chafing shorts so why have more material between your legs?

I did like being able to shorten the Macabi while on the Camino during two hot days, so I did use the snaps a couple of times. I don't think if I were in town wearing them that I would snap them up. They look kind of funny. Yeah for me it is the deep pockets and the super secure zip pocket combined with the quick drying, light weight fabric that I like for travel.

I hate how I think I would look in a macabi - I am shortish, thickish around the middle, and would have skinny chicken legs sticking out the bottom.

The Macabi made me look like grandma Clampet when wearing my hiking shoes. But in sandals it looks quite good I think. I'm built like you. I found if I wore a Columbia Tamiani shirt not tucked in, it hide the waist band area and looked fine.

I took the waistband apart to remove the elastic. No small task since I had to remove multiple seams. Then I added two button holes in the front to thread the new belt (?) through, folded/sewed the empty waistband back in place, made a belt of softer elastic and ribbon with C-rings on one end for a buckle, then threaded the new belt through the new waistband. I really like the skirt now. The waistband is softer and more adjustable.

I like your solution since it involves no elastic. I also assume you removed the drawstring as it doesn't seem to be needed with the adjustable belt.
Laura

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
image.jpg Laura: I removed the elastic and drawstring and replaced them with a "belt" made of about 20 inches of softer elastic with pretty ribbon sewn on both ends. I put D rings on one end of the belt. The belt goes through the new waistband and out the two button holes I added. The elastic part of the belt goes from about one pocket and around the back to about the other pocket. The ribbon parts of the belt are in the front. (The ribbon is folded over so the flowers are on both sides.) If I tighten the belt, it will pull a bit of pretty ribbon out of the waistband. There is plenty of fabric in the medium sized skirt for my taste. The waistband was just too stiff and tight and didn't feel nice against my skin. I think a large would have had just too much fabric around the bottom. I would like to have another Macabi skirt in a different color but this was too much work to do again.

View attachment 18592 Wore mine on a trip to the southwest US this week. Very comfy. Easy travel and walk in. I think I am fairly short so I think I want to get the shorter version for the Camino. This is the regular length which you can see is quite long on me.

One nice thing about the long skirt is the sun protection.
I can't wear sunscreen, so I love it.
And if I DO get hot, I just pull up the sides without using the middle strap and I have air conditioning! :p

I just bought a new Raspberry skirt.
Then I found the same skirt and a blue one in a sale and bought them.

I'm keeping the blue Macabi, but selling the Raspberry - don't need two.

All this enthusiasm has me convinced. I just ordered charcoal (seems to be a color-of-choice) in regular length for my October camino. It sounds like it will be great for layering tights and/or pants underneath in the colder mornings and make it easy to remove various layers as the day warms up. Plus, good for churches, cities, etc. It should look perfect with my sandals, but probably a little, well, weird -- oops, I mean camino chic o_O -- with boots. But what the heck! At 63, I'm looking for comfort over style. :)

Thank to all who posted photos, they really help. And extra- big thanks to Macabi Skirts for the 10 percent discount!!
I got asked several times if I was a nun, when I was wearing the charcoal. lol!

Yikes I wore mine just snapped up on the sides. The center front and back hung lower. Sort of a scalloped effect. It was cooler but looked quite bad I think.

Yup, that's how I wore mine.
Got lots of compliments and questions.
It was quite comfortable!

Yup, that's how I wore mine.
Got lots of compliments and questions.
It was quite comfortable!
Which is why you need to spend more $ to have it fold under in the front, and no longer collecting bread crumbs at dinner, by your local seamstress

Last edited by a moderator:

€83,-
I also wear mine only in evenings and find it perfect to slip into after a shower. I also like traveling in it. When not Caminoing I usually wear tight trousers or leggins but don't like to fly with tight clothes. This year alone my Macabi has enjoyed Hawaii, Minnesota, NYC, western KY and it just flew into Oslo yesterday. I'm not even going to say how many (really how few) times it's been washed while doing all that traveling.

I've often wondered how it would look pulled up in front to make a dress, then with a shrug.
Macabi sold a vest for a while.
I bought one. Can't remember what I did with it though.

The Macabi made me look like grandma Clampet when wearing my hiking shoes. But in sandals it looks quite good I think. I'm built like you. I found if I wore a Columbia Tamiani shirt not tucked in, it hide the waist band area and looked fine.

You're giving away your age :)
I think Grandma Clampett was pretty cute! lol!

I'm preparing a show & tell demonstration of my macabi skirt for our local Pilgrim Assoc this Sunday. I've been warned to expect this question and Macabiskirt.com hasn't been able to respond to my inquiry this week. Like the Camino, the Forum provides, so I'll ask the team here ....

Macabi is now selling a 'slimline' model as an option to the original design. It has less fabric in the waist area.

If you own a macabi 'slimline', can it can easily be put on over your head and shoulders? (For example, if you want to pull it on from the top down while you're sitting in a sleeping bag?)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm preparing a show & tell demonstration of my macabi skirt for our local Pilgrim Assoc this Sunday. I've been warned to expect this question and Macabiskirt.com hasn't been able to respond to my inquiry this week. Like the Camino, the Forum provides, so I'll ask the team here ....

Macabi is now selling a 'slimline' model as an option to the original design. It has less fabric in the waist area.

If you own a macabi 'slimline', can it can easily be put on over your head and shoulders? (For example, if you want to pull it on from the top down while you're sitting in a sleeping bag?)
The new slimmer version has 4 inchess less fabric at the hip, so I imagine you could pin back that ampint of material and see? Just saying this because the slimmer model was just launched so you may not find anyone here yet who has bought it. I think one of these may make it on Santa's list as well. While I much prefer the protection of pants when walking these are fabulous as Camino evening wear.

Great suggestion! Based on that test with my current macabi I suspect that a slimline may not go over the head easily, or at least not in all cases. Hope I'm wrong. I'll keep my eye out for a more reliable report once more of them are in use. Thanks again

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Anyone else seen the offer for this Friday (i.e today!).... Very tempted :)
How many aside from me had a skirt staged in the Macabi shopping cart ready to push the button at midnight during their 30% off sale?.. My Macabi #4 is a long black original (not skinny). I challenged myself to wear a skirt to work every day starting the beginning of June. It was only going to be for the summer but here it is almost December and I'm still doing it.

I aaaaaaaaaaalmost did it.
But I stopped myself.
I have 3 now; a charcoal, a blue, a raspberry.
I'd love a khaki if anyone wants to trade for the blue one.
Or.. I could just sell the blue one.
Or, I could go buy more.. they're still on sale.

To me it works the same as my original Macabi.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Did your slim one arrive? How do you like it?
It DID! I just got my Macabi Slim today. While I really like the BARK color and regular length (I have a long Raspberry Red Macabi which I bought from @Anniesantiago), I honestly don't see any difference to speak of with the 4" less in the hips...it just isn't noticeable to me. I'll be taking this one in from waist to hips also because on my long torso/shorter legged frame, all that fabric makes me feel like a circus clown. JMHO. :)

Just received an email from Macabi, the sale ends on Sunday and then the prices will increase, first time in 12 years they say.
Sadly the postage has increased so much (to the UK) I can no longer justify buying one :confused:

I bought the lightest weight men's 6" compression shorts I could find. No "cup" section, all stretch, really light weight and dry fast. I would have bought women's but the were all too short and have that young girl fit...I wear my regular undies under and they do help with chafing. I plan to wear them as my sleep bottom too. ( bought them at Eastbay online - http://www.eastbay.com/product/mode...ay-evapor-6-compression-short-2.0-mens/purple ) I know Kanga that you are not in the US but maybe you can find an equivalent in Australia.
Know this is old, but I'm still considering what to wear under my Macabi on the Camino. Not sure if chafing will be a problem but I am concerned. Anyway I got the Eastbay men's compression shorts in a size Medium and they were TIGHT! I could wear them in the gym but to sleep or all day, it wouldn't work. I am 5'3" 130 pounds and do not think these shorts would work for me even in a larger size. Looking at this: http://wintersilks.blair.com/p/wome...*&q3=225~Panties&sc=N&x2=c.t2&x3=c.t3&x1=c.t1, but maybe those are too lose and would ride up. Anyone where Macabi with ordinary panties/knickers?

I wear 'ordinary' underwear under the Macabi... Never had any problems. Have you tried going on a long walk (20k + or whatever distance is your usual on the Camino) to try it out? :)

Last edited:
A simple trick I use under normal skirts is wearing cut-off nylons/tights. I cut them off just above the knees and wear them over my normal underwear. Never tried it with a Macabi, only with normal skirts, but should work the same way. Buen Camino, SY

They are clingy but not restrictive, Imsundaze. Much more comfortable than any kind of shapewear. They are very ugly, too. I had to laugh at the tag. Normally Jockey for Women shows seductive babes flaunting the product, but for these they just show a narrow glimpse of a couple of inches of thigh to show the length. (They come in different lengths. I wore the longer ones because the shorter length tended to roll a bit at the cuff.)

EDIT They are a tad static-y, which concerned me since the macabi is, too, but it wasn't a problem in use. The skirt was clingy for a minute or so when you first put it on, then it relaxed.

I bought very cheap coolmax mens undies on ebay. They are quick drying and light, with a leg to just above my knees. I also have some silk ladies boxers (long story) but finished up wearing those as my pajamas. As it happens I don't get chaffing so normal undies are also fine.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Cinimod,

Yes, I watched it when you posted it. It was very helpful & she says it's cool when it's warm & warm when it's cold out. I'm just wondering how much the wind would blow it as I have heard & read the fall & winter winds can be very strong. I am planning on taking leggings or runners tights & I think it would be great to have a skirt. I'm also concerned about chafing. Although, if I have the leggings then I should be okay on that I think.

I appreciate you lots.
Xoxo

Aimee
Hi Aimee...Did you end up buying the Macabi Skirt? If so, did you experience any chafing or did you always wear leggings under it? Just wondering. Thanks, SanJo

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back