Search 60,048 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Macabi skirt sizing/slim/usage

Book your Bus ticket here

Embee12

Past OR future Camino
First time: Fall 2022
I know there have been some lengthy threads about the Macabi skirt. I did have one twenty years ago, which I loved... who knows where it went? At the time, they didn't have the slim fit. If you've got a slim fit, how do you like it? I'm 5'1, so a short length is definitely in order. I think I could take a S or M, but would probably go for the M. I'm small in the waist, but bigger below, so not sure if the slim is too slim? Or maybe it's just right because I'm short and having 4-5" less around the bottom will make the skirt be less voluminous? Or is it just great to have all that spaciousness? I'm undecided.

Also, while I'm here: Do you wear leggings with it? It'll be early-mid-October. I will take some "thigh savers," but they provide no warmth.

Also, also: I've heard some people take only Macabi skirts. Any thoughts? Do you miss pants at all or get too cold?

Thanks!

Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop
how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.

Tassie Kaz

Sempre Avanti
Past OR future Camino
2023?
Do you wear leggings with it? It'll be early-mid-October. I will take some "thigh savers," but they provide no warmth.

Also, also: I've heard some people take only Macabi skirts. Any thoughts? Do you miss pants at all or get too cold?
While I can't comment on the brand (& therefore the sizing), I'm a spring/summer walker & choose solely to wear a skirt. I don't wear anything (non-essential! 🤭) underneath & have never come around to the 'skort'. Yes, there may be occurrences such as climbing up rocks or over logs where a skirt is...um...not so lady-like 😆 but the benefits (such as air circulation, ease for 'off-piste' forays, etc) far outweigh any drawbacks.
I don't feel the cold on my legs but I do carry a pair of knee-length leggings as a back-up. If I know I'll be walking through a cooler region, in the past I've taken leg warmers which stretch enough to slip over footwear for a bit of warmth. They can also be worn on the arms as a put on/peel off layer & have a myriad of other uses such as padding under straps, neck wrap-around, etc.
Happy trails! 🤗
👣 🌏

Tassie Kaz

Sempre Avanti
Past OR future Camino
2023?

trecile

Staff member
Past OR future Camino
PAST - Francés, Norte, Salvador, Portuguese
@trecile, can you please provide a bit more info on a hiking dress? Not something I've considered before & sounds an interesting alternative.
Thanks in advance..🤗
👣 🌏
It's basically just a dress that's comfortable to hike in. 😊
I make my own out of merino wool, but there are actually companies marketing "hiking dresses" like Lady Hike. Other brands have "active dresses."

When I'm not wearing leggings underneath I do wear lightweight running shorts (which double as pajama bottoms). And I abhor skorts. I have bought skorts because I liked the design of the skirt part, then I cut the shorts out of them.

Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean
how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.

Tassie Kaz

Sempre Avanti
Past OR future Camino
2023?
It's basically just a dress that's comfortable to hike in. 😊
I make my own out of merino wool, but there are actually companies marketing "hiking dresses" like Lady Hike. Other brands have "active dresses."

When I'm not wearing leggings underneath I do wear lightweight running shorts (which double as pajama bottoms). And I abhor skorts. I have bought skorts because I liked the design of the skirt part, then I cut the shorts out of them.
Thanks @trecile, for the info & the laugh! Wonderful you're handy with the needle & thread...I am not...& belong to the 'Staple-It School' of hem mending. I then also colour in the staple with a permanent marker... 🤭 😇
A few outdoor gear stores in Aus (such as Kathmandu) have 'travel dresses' so I might look a bit closer now.
👣 🌏

nidarosa

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Inglés 2009+2017, Francés 2012+2018, Astorga-Santiago repeatedly
there are actually companies marketing "hiking dresses" like Lady Hike.
Thank you thank you thank you for the link! I knew I had seen them and wanted one but couldn't for the life of me remember the brand name - even if it is pretty self-explanatory 🙄 Now safely bookmarked.
I used to have a (few) Macabi skirts as well but being very tall they had to hang on my hips and they would slide up and down so they were not for me. I have found Purple Rain skirts and love hiking in them!

Last edited:
Past OR future Camino
Camino Francés (2022 after failed attempt in 2018)
I own two Macabi skirts and I’ll take both on the Camino. I wear long john bottoms underneath them on cold days or if I’m traveling through a brushy area.

I had to size up because their waists are small, and I have trouble getting the smaller size over my big hips. But once they’re over my hips, the draw string fits my waist.

I love the pockets, and I love the convertible options. I especially enjoy them on hot days, when I can get both sun protection and breezes on my legs.

NavyBlue

Past OR future Camino
Le Puy and Camino Frances. Via Francigena. Tro-Breiz in progress.
Hi,

My wife has got Macabi skirts, both regular and slim ones.

While the slim one has less material involved, it's definitely not tight and cannot impede walking for anybody. And to my eyes, it's more of a fashionable piece of clothing :)

mariposa627

Past OR future Camino
Camino Portugues (June 2013)
Camino Frances- in stages beginning 2019
I know there have been some lengthy threads about the Macabi skirt. I did have one twenty years ago, which I loved... who knows where it went? At the time, they didn't have the slim fit. If you've got a slim fit, how do you like it? I'm 5'1, so a short length is definitely in order. I think I could take a S or M, but would probably go for the M. I'm small in the waist, but bigger below, so not sure if the slim is too slim? Or maybe it's just right because I'm short and having 4-5" less around the bottom will make the skirt be less voluminous? Or is it just great to have all that spaciousness? I'm undecided.

Also, while I'm here: Do you wear leggings with it? It'll be early-mid-October. I will take some "thigh savers," but they provide no warmth.

Thanks!
I only wore a macabi -two times when i walked in August from SJPDP to Lorca and the Camino Portuguese from Valença, wore legging under when chilly and bike shorts when warm to avoid rubbing thighs. I am going again this week and taking macabi with heavy woolen leggings in case I get cold as well as a light pair of hiking pants (concerned about rain) I love my skirt! Pockets galore, covers me shouod I need to use facilities outdoors (🙏🏼That doesn't happen!)

Pocket guide that pack a punch
1.4 oz (40g) pocket guides with gems of wisdom to ponder during and after your Camino
Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery

MarieLauFlorin

Past OR future Camino
See list below
I have written about my Macabi experience here including sizibg tips. I am on Frances right now in Macabi: https://www.caminolife.com/test-macabi-trekking-skirt/

For me the slim one would be too slim for hiking, but to others it might work well. I like being able to take large steps and to sit in Lotus position inside it.

You can see many pictures from these days on Francés here www.Facebook.com/friefodspor . It is freeeeeezing cold these days on the camino (-3 in the morning) and I wear long pants under Macabi. Later on the day long Johns under. In spring and summer - nothing.

Embee12

Past OR future Camino
I can't help you with the Macabi skirt sizing, but I wear hiking dresses on the Camino and on colder days I wear Montbell lightweight merino wool leggings underneath - they only weigh 3.5 oz/98gm. Or their middle weight leggings only weigh 4.5 oz/128 gm.
Thanks, @trecile. I'll look into those leggings. Do you think I would need lightweight or middle weight leggings for October (all month)? I'm very impressed that you make clothes! I had a seamstress/clothesmaker grandmother and great-grandmother from Eastern Europe (came to the States in the 1910's) who never taught me or my mother to sew - I guess cause they thought it was somehow declasse? Boy, do I wish I could sew!

Embee12

Past OR future Camino
While I can't comment on the brand (& therefore the sizing), I'm a spring/summer walker & choose solely to wear a skirt. I don't wear anything (non-essential! 🤭) underneath & have never come around to the 'skort'. Yes, there may be occurrences such as climbing up rocks or over logs where a skirt is...um...not so lady-like 😆 but the benefits (such as air circulation, ease for 'off-piste' forays, etc) far outweigh any drawbacks.
I don't feel the cold on my legs but I do carry a pair of knee-length leggings as a back-up. If I know I'll be walking through a cooler region, in the past I've taken leg warmers which stretch enough to slip over footwear for a bit of warmth. They can also be worn on the arms as a put on/peel off layer & have a myriad of other uses such as padding under straps, neck wrap-around, etc.
Happy trails! 🤗
👣 🌏
@Tassie Kaz - Thanks for your input. I've never been interested in a skort strictly because the shorts never fit me - too tight and loose at once - and the whole thing becomes extremely uncomfortable - rather than really comfortable, which is my whole point in wearing a skirt! Love the idea of the leg warmers! Do you have a brand you like?

Embee12

Past OR future Camino
Thanks @trecile, for the info & the laugh! Wonderful you're handy with the needle & thread...I am not...& belong to the 'Staple-It School' of hem mending. I then also colour in the staple with a permanent marker... 🤭 😇
A few outdoor gear stores in Aus (such as Kathmandu) have 'travel dresses' so I might look a bit closer now.
👣 🌏
I wrote this below to trecile, but will say again: I had a seamstress/clothesmaker grandmother and great-grandmother from Eastern Europe (came to the States in the 1910's) who never taught me or my mother to sew - I guess cause they thought it was somehow declasse? Boy, do I wish I could sew! I've never tried the staple mend. I have definitely done the cut-off-rather-than-hem method of tailoring, though.

trecile

Staff member
Past OR future Camino
PAST - Francés, Norte, Salvador, Portuguese
Thanks, @trecile. I'll look into those leggings. Do you think I would need lightweight or middle weight leggings for October (all month)? I'm very impressed that you make clothes! I had seamstress/clothesmaker grandmother and great-grandmother from Eastern Europe (came to the States in the early 1900's) who never taught me or my mother to sew - I guess cause they thought it was somehow declasse? Boy, do I wish I could sew!
The lightweight leggings kept me warm enough on a couple of cold and wet days in September, but for October I would get the mid weight leggings. Be aware the the Montbell sizing is on the slim side.

As far as sewing goes, my mother didn't sew - it was just something that I wanted to do. I made my first dress using my toy sewing machine when I was 8 years old.
I'm by no means an amazing seamstress though, I just think of things that I want, and I can't find them in the stores, so I make them.

John Brierley 2022 Camino Guide
Get your today and start planning.
Pocket guide that pack a punch
1.4 oz (40g) pocket guides with gems of wisdom to ponder during and after your Camino

Embee12

Past OR future Camino
I own two Macabi skirts and I’ll take both on the Camino. I wear long john bottoms underneath them on cold days or if I’m traveling through a brushy area.

I had to size up because their waists are small, and I have trouble getting the smaller size over my big hips. But once they’re over my hips, the draw string fits my waist.

I love the pockets, and I love the convertible options. I especially enjoy them on hot days, when I can get both sun protection and breezes on my legs.
@Katherine Radeka That's good to know re the sizing. I was thinking to get an M, but maybe I'll get an L because of the hip thing. Plus, I really don't like tightness around my waist, so would rather use the drawstring to my liking than have it start snug. But not sure becuase the L is a smidge longer. Already when I measure even the short length seems like it will go to my ankles. I guess I could pull the skirt over my head if I can't pull it up over my hips. Have you done October caminos? If so, did you wear leggings a lot for those? Or maybe start in the morning with leggings then take them off as the day got warmer?

Embee12

Past OR future Camino
Hi,

My wife has got Macabi skirts, both regular and slim ones.

While the slim one has less material involved, it's definitely not tight and cannot impede walking for anybody. And to my eyes, it's more of a fashionable piece of clothing :)
Thank for the input, @NavyBlue ! Definitely want to be (slightly) fashionable!

domigee

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
2022 CF

Thanks!
Hi! i can’t help on the sizing. I have put on weight (considerably) but somehow the S size still fits me…
I do wear merino leggings with it though, whenever it is cold. Easy to take off when it warms up.
I only take one Macabi skirt and one pair of trousers (or shorts in Summer).
PS Mine is the normal one, not slim. I can’t imagine either of them being fashionable 😁

Tassie Kaz

Sempre Avanti
Past OR future Camino
2023?
@Tassie Kaz - Thanks for your input. I've never been interested in a skort strictly because the shorts never fit me - too tight and loose at once - and the whole thing becomes extremely uncomfortable - rather than really comfortable, which is my whole point in wearing a skirt! Love the idea of the leg warmers! Do you have a brand you like?
I just checked out the website of this mysterious Macabi skirt...I had no idea they were so long! Not sure that would work for me..all that material around my legs... 🤔
Glad you like the idea of leg warmers @Embee12. They can be difficult to source due to being a fashion relic from the 80's (showing my age here... 🤭) so no brand as such. I usually find them in 'cheapie' type shops (don't know the US chain version name) in winter for a few dollars. An incredibly useful travel item so I hope they make a comeback! 😉
👣 🌏

Embee12

Past OR future Camino
I only wore a macabi -two times when i walked in August from SJPDP to Lorca and the Camino Portuguese from Valença, wore legging under when chilly and bike shorts when warm to avoid rubbing thighs. I am going again this week and taking macabi with heavy woolen leggings in case I get cold as well as a light pair of hiking pants (concerned about rain) I love my skirt! Pockets galore, covers me shouod I need to use facilities outdoors (🙏🏼That doesn't happen!)
@mariposa627 Thanks for the input. So you would not want to wear the skirt in the rain? Have you walked in October, CF? I will wear thigh savers (brand Thigh Society - gotta love that name!) to avoid "chub rub." (Awful phraseology... But accurate!)

Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store
John Brierley 2022 Camino Guide
Get your today and start planning.

domigee

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
2022 CF
@mariposa627 Thanks for the input. So you would not want to wear the skirt in the rain? Have you walked in October, CF? I will wear thigh savers (brand Thigh Society - gotta love that name!) to avoid "chub rub." (Awful phraseology... But accurate!)
I have worn the skirt in heavy rain, it dries in 5 min. Magic 😎

Embee12

Past OR future Camino
I just checked out the website of this mysterious Macabi skirt...I had no idea they were so long! Not sure that would work for me..all that material around my legs... 🤔
Glad you like the idea of leg warmers @Embee12. They can be difficult to source due to being a fashion relic from the 80's (showing my age here... 🤭) so no brand as such. I usually find them in 'cheapie' type shops (don't know the US chain version name) in winter for a few dollars. An incredibly useful travel item so I hope they make a comeback! 😉
👣 🌏
The volume of fabric was why I wanted to know about the slim fit. Even a short will go to my ankles. As for relic of a certain age - when you mentioned leg warmers, my first thought was Jane Fonda's original aerobic workout!

Embee12

Past OR future Camino
I have written about my Macabi experience here including sizibg tips. I am on Frances right now in Macabi: https://www.caminolife.com/test-macabi-trekking-skirt/

For me the slim one would be too slim for hiking, but to others it might work well. I like being able to take large steps and to sit in Lotus position inside it.

You can see many pictures from these days on Francés here www.Facebook.com/friefodspor . It is freeeeeezing cold these days on the camino (-3 in the morning) and I wear long pants under Macabi. Later on the day long Johns under. In spring and summer - nothing.

Thank you - this is amazing! It's like that who link was made for me! As is your whole website! I hope you're enjoying your camino.

Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean
Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets

Becky 59

Past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2018, 2021
Camino Ingles (Aug 2019)
Thanks, @trecile. I'll look into those leggings. Do you think I would need lightweight or middle weight leggings for October (all month)? I'm very impressed that you make clothes! I had a seamstress/clothesmaker grandmother and great-grandmother from Eastern Europe (came to the States in the 1910's) who never taught me or my mother to sew - I guess cause they thought it was somehow declasse? Boy, do I wish I could sew!
I wore lightweight leggings under my slim Macabi last October on the Frances, and usually slipped the leggings off by 10 or 11 am. The slim provided plenty of room for me to walk. But I’m 5’1” (and I met Marie in Leon!)

Attachments

• BD22942A-B736-4AA8-BE7B-861EB7771305.jpeg
    BD22942A-B736-4AA8-BE7B-861EB7771305.jpeg
    703 KB · Views: 60

Embee12

Past OR future Camino
I wore lightweight leggings under my slim Macabi last October on the Frances, and usually slipped the leggings off by 10 or 11 am. The slim provided plenty of room for me to walk. But I’m 5’1” (and I met Marie in Leon!)
That's great info, @Becky 59 ! I'm 5'1, too! I have a few more questions, if you don't mind: May I ask what size you wore - I assume it was a "short" length? Did you only wear Macabis? Also, can you tell me more about weather on the CF in October, and how you dressed for it? Thanks again!

Becky 59

Past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2018, 2021
Camino Ingles (Aug 2019)
That's great info, @Becky 59 ! I'm 5'1, too! I have a few more questions, if you don't mind: May I ask what size you wore - I assume it was a "short" length? Did you only wear Macabis? Also, can you tell me more about weather on the CF in October, and how you dressed for it? Thanks again!
Yes, the short. I used a combo of 1 merino wool T, a long sleeve merino wool top, light fleece, Gortex raincoat for top, and Macabi skirt every day, +/- light leggings, one heavy leggings (wore in evenings), compression knee socks, hat and gloves and a buff. It covered everything from 33 degree am to 60 degree pms.

Embee12

Past OR future Camino
Yes, the short. I used a combo of 1 merino wool T, a long sleeve merino wool top, light fleece, Gortex raincoat for top, and Macabi skirt every day, +/- light leggings, one heavy leggings (wore in evenings), compression knee socks, hat and gloves and a buff. It covered everything from 33 degree am to 60 degree pms.
What do the compression knee socks do? Thanks. Michelle

Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.

Kanga

Staff member
Past OR future Camino
Francés x 5, Le Puy x 2, Arles, Tours, Norte, Madrid, Via de la Plata, Portuguese, Primitivo

Thanks!

I have switched from the full Macabi skirts to the slim and find very little difference. Like you I am happy in the shorter length. I did once buy the knee length but don't like it because it looks weird when I fill the pockets (I carry my water bottle in one, and half my pack in the other 😁).

I take 2 Macabi skirts (see Avatar), one to wear, one to wash, with leggings that I wear only if it gets cold. I don't have a thigh rubbing problem. Currently packing!

MarieLauFlorin

Past OR future Camino
See list below
BECKY!!!! SO nice to find you here. Thought so much about you these days. We are on Camino Francés now, me now in your colour Macabi! Bought it right after I got home. Torben is unfortunately in a lot of pain but we made it 19 km from León to Villar de Manzarife. Thought a lot about your story and I believe it made us stronger today. Sending our warmest camino hugs!!!!

MarieLauFlorin

Past OR future Camino
See list below

Attachments

• 03E7A723-0B67-42EC-94E7-21727FACBA08.jpeg
    03E7A723-0B67-42EC-94E7-21727FACBA08.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 45

cmjcod

Past OR future Camino
Hopefully (2020)
You look so nice in the photo! What pack to you use??

Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop

MarieLauFlorin

Past OR future Camino
See list below
You look so nice in the photo! What pack to you use??
Actually it is just a phone. My husband has a Samsung. You can see more Macabi photos taken with his phone here:

Attachments

• 4C3EB1B0-0ED5-4713-8E21-55804F72B922.jpeg
    4C3EB1B0-0ED5-4713-8E21-55804F72B922.jpeg
    218 KB · Views: 30

Tone-Lise

Past OR future Camino
Via Gebennensis and part of Via Podiensis (2022)
👣 🌏
I just got the knee length Macabi skirt, and liked it when I wearing it for a test hike. Found it very comfortable. Will also bring a set of lightweight wool/silk leggings from Janus.

Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.
Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets

cnissi102

Past OR future Camino
Frances fall 2013
Norte/Primitivo fall 2022
The volume of fabric was why I wanted to know about the slim fit. Even a short will go to my ankles. As for relic of a certain age - when you mentioned leg warmers, my first thought was Jane Fonda's original aerobic workout!
I have both fits, and I like the slim better. Doesn't make me look so round. BTW I am 5'9"-155 lbs

cnissi102

Past OR future Camino
Frances fall 2013
Norte/Primitivo fall 2022
I have worn the skirt in heavy rain, it dries in 5 min. Magic 😎
I will be walking the northern route September/October and am debating whether or not to take rain pants and bike shorts to wear when it is raining. Otherwise I have two macabi skirts I am taking. Did you find that you didn't need rain pants since the macabi dries so quickly?

domigee

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
2022 CF
I will be walking the northern route September/October and am debating whether or not to take rain pants and bike shorts to wear when it is raining. Otherwise I have two macabi skirts I am taking. Did you find that you didn't need rain pants since the macabi dries so quickly?
I never took rain pants.
Dont’t over pack… If you take anything else (shorts, pants, whatever….) only take one Macabi skirt. You won’t need both 🙂

Last edited:

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 105 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings