• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Macabi skirt sizing/slim/usage

Embee12

Time of past OR future Camino
First time: Fall 2022
I know there have been some lengthy threads about the Macabi skirt. I did have one twenty years ago, which I loved... who knows where it went? At the time, they didn't have the slim fit. If you've got a slim fit, how do you like it? I'm 5'1, so a short length is definitely in order. I think I could take a S or M, but would probably go for the M. I'm small in the waist, but bigger below, so not sure if the slim is too slim? Or maybe it's just right because I'm short and having 4-5" less around the bottom will make the skirt be less voluminous? Or is it just great to have all that spaciousness? I'm undecided.

Also, while I'm here: Do you wear leggings with it? It'll be early-mid-October. I will take some "thigh savers," but they provide no warmth.

Also, also: I've heard some people take only Macabi skirts. Any thoughts? Do you miss pants at all or get too cold?

Thanks!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Do you wear leggings with it? It'll be early-mid-October. I will take some "thigh savers," but they provide no warmth.

Also, also: I've heard some people take only Macabi skirts. Any thoughts? Do you miss pants at all or get too cold?
While I can't comment on the brand (& therefore the sizing), I'm a spring/summer walker & choose solely to wear a skirt. I don't wear anything (non-essential! 🤭) underneath & have never come around to the 'skort'. Yes, there may be occurrences such as climbing up rocks or over logs where a skirt is...um...not so lady-like 😆 but the benefits (such as air circulation, ease for 'off-piste' forays, etc) far outweigh any drawbacks.
I don't feel the cold on my legs but I do carry a pair of knee-length leggings as a back-up. If I know I'll be walking through a cooler region, in the past I've taken leg warmers which stretch enough to slip over footwear for a bit of warmth. They can also be worn on the arms as a put on/peel off layer & have a myriad of other uses such as padding under straps, neck wrap-around, etc.
Happy trails! 🤗
👣 🌏

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@trecile, can you please provide a bit more info on a hiking dress? Not something I've considered before & sounds an interesting alternative.
Thanks in advance..🤗
👣 🌏
It's basically just a dress that's comfortable to hike in. 😊
I make my own out of merino wool, but there are actually companies marketing "hiking dresses" like Lady Hike. Other brands have "active dresses."

When I'm not wearing leggings underneath I do wear lightweight running shorts (which double as pajama bottoms). And I abhor skorts. I have bought skorts because I liked the design of the skirt part, then I cut the shorts out of them.

It's basically just a dress that's comfortable to hike in. 😊
I make my own out of merino wool, but there are actually companies marketing "hiking dresses" like Lady Hike. Other brands have "active dresses."

When I'm not wearing leggings underneath I do wear lightweight running shorts (which double as pajama bottoms). And I abhor skorts. I have bought skorts because I liked the design of the skirt part, then I cut the shorts out of them.
Thanks @trecile, for the info & the laugh! Wonderful you're handy with the needle & thread...I am not...& belong to the 'Staple-It School' of hem mending. I then also colour in the staple with a permanent marker... 🤭 😇
A few outdoor gear stores in Aus (such as Kathmandu) have 'travel dresses' so I might look a bit closer now.
👣 🌏

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
there are actually companies marketing "hiking dresses" like Lady Hike.
Thank you thank you thank you for the link! I knew I had seen them and wanted one but couldn't for the life of me remember the brand name - even if it is pretty self-explanatory 🙄 Now safely bookmarked.
I used to have a (few) Macabi skirts as well but being very tall they had to hang on my hips and they would slide up and down so they were not for me. I have found Purple Rain skirts and love hiking in them!

Last edited:
I own two Macabi skirts and I’ll take both on the Camino. I wear long john bottoms underneath them on cold days or if I’m traveling through a brushy area.

I had to size up because their waists are small, and I have trouble getting the smaller size over my big hips. But once they’re over my hips, the draw string fits my waist.

I love the pockets, and I love the convertible options. I especially enjoy them on hot days, when I can get both sun protection and breezes on my legs.

Hi,

My wife has got Macabi skirts, both regular and slim ones.

While the slim one has less material involved, it's definitely not tight and cannot impede walking for anybody. And to my eyes, it's more of a fashionable piece of clothing :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I know there have been some lengthy threads about the Macabi skirt. I did have one twenty years ago, which I loved... who knows where it went? At the time, they didn't have the slim fit. If you've got a slim fit, how do you like it? I'm 5'1, so a short length is definitely in order. I think I could take a S or M, but would probably go for the M. I'm small in the waist, but bigger below, so not sure if the slim is too slim? Or maybe it's just right because I'm short and having 4-5" less around the bottom will make the skirt be less voluminous? Or is it just great to have all that spaciousness? I'm undecided.

Also, while I'm here: Do you wear leggings with it? It'll be early-mid-October. I will take some "thigh savers," but they provide no warmth.

Thanks!
I only wore a macabi -two times when i walked in August from SJPDP to Lorca and the Camino Portuguese from Valença, wore legging under when chilly and bike shorts when warm to avoid rubbing thighs. I am going again this week and taking macabi with heavy woolen leggings in case I get cold as well as a light pair of hiking pants (concerned about rain) I love my skirt! Pockets galore, covers me shouod I need to use facilities outdoors (🙏🏼That doesn't happen!)

I have written about my Macabi experience here including sizibg tips. I am on Frances right now in Macabi: https://www.caminolife.com/test-macabi-trekking-skirt/

For me the slim one would be too slim for hiking, but to others it might work well. I like being able to take large steps and to sit in Lotus position inside it.

You can see many pictures from these days on Francés here www.Facebook.com/friefodspor . It is freeeeeezing cold these days on the camino (-3 in the morning) and I wear long pants under Macabi. Later on the day long Johns under. In spring and summer - nothing.

I can't help you with the Macabi skirt sizing, but I wear hiking dresses on the Camino and on colder days I wear Montbell lightweight merino wool leggings underneath - they only weigh 3.5 oz/98gm. Or their middle weight leggings only weigh 4.5 oz/128 gm.
Thanks, @trecile. I'll look into those leggings. Do you think I would need lightweight or middle weight leggings for October (all month)? I'm very impressed that you make clothes! I had a seamstress/clothesmaker grandmother and great-grandmother from Eastern Europe (came to the States in the 1910's) who never taught me or my mother to sew - I guess cause they thought it was somehow declasse? Boy, do I wish I could sew!

While I can't comment on the brand (& therefore the sizing), I'm a spring/summer walker & choose solely to wear a skirt. I don't wear anything (non-essential! 🤭) underneath & have never come around to the 'skort'. Yes, there may be occurrences such as climbing up rocks or over logs where a skirt is...um...not so lady-like 😆 but the benefits (such as air circulation, ease for 'off-piste' forays, etc) far outweigh any drawbacks.
I don't feel the cold on my legs but I do carry a pair of knee-length leggings as a back-up. If I know I'll be walking through a cooler region, in the past I've taken leg warmers which stretch enough to slip over footwear for a bit of warmth. They can also be worn on the arms as a put on/peel off layer & have a myriad of other uses such as padding under straps, neck wrap-around, etc.
Happy trails! 🤗
👣 🌏
@Tassie Kaz - Thanks for your input. I've never been interested in a skort strictly because the shorts never fit me - too tight and loose at once - and the whole thing becomes extremely uncomfortable - rather than really comfortable, which is my whole point in wearing a skirt! Love the idea of the leg warmers! Do you have a brand you like?

Thanks @trecile, for the info & the laugh! Wonderful you're handy with the needle & thread...I am not...& belong to the 'Staple-It School' of hem mending. I then also colour in the staple with a permanent marker... 🤭 😇
A few outdoor gear stores in Aus (such as Kathmandu) have 'travel dresses' so I might look a bit closer now.
👣 🌏
I wrote this below to trecile, but will say again: I had a seamstress/clothesmaker grandmother and great-grandmother from Eastern Europe (came to the States in the 1910's) who never taught me or my mother to sew - I guess cause they thought it was somehow declasse? Boy, do I wish I could sew! I've never tried the staple mend. I have definitely done the cut-off-rather-than-hem method of tailoring, though.

Thanks, @trecile. I'll look into those leggings. Do you think I would need lightweight or middle weight leggings for October (all month)? I'm very impressed that you make clothes! I had seamstress/clothesmaker grandmother and great-grandmother from Eastern Europe (came to the States in the early 1900's) who never taught me or my mother to sew - I guess cause they thought it was somehow declasse? Boy, do I wish I could sew!
The lightweight leggings kept me warm enough on a couple of cold and wet days in September, but for October I would get the mid weight leggings. Be aware the the Montbell sizing is on the slim side.

As far as sewing goes, my mother didn't sew - it was just something that I wanted to do. I made my first dress using my toy sewing machine when I was 8 years old.
I'm by no means an amazing seamstress though, I just think of things that I want, and I can't find them in the stores, so I make them.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I own two Macabi skirts and I’ll take both on the Camino. I wear long john bottoms underneath them on cold days or if I’m traveling through a brushy area.

I had to size up because their waists are small, and I have trouble getting the smaller size over my big hips. But once they’re over my hips, the draw string fits my waist.

I love the pockets, and I love the convertible options. I especially enjoy them on hot days, when I can get both sun protection and breezes on my legs.
@Katherine Radeka That's good to know re the sizing. I was thinking to get an M, but maybe I'll get an L because of the hip thing. Plus, I really don't like tightness around my waist, so would rather use the drawstring to my liking than have it start snug. But not sure becuase the L is a smidge longer. Already when I measure even the short length seems like it will go to my ankles. I guess I could pull the skirt over my head if I can't pull it up over my hips. Have you done October caminos? If so, did you wear leggings a lot for those? Or maybe start in the morning with leggings then take them off as the day got warmer?

Hi,

My wife has got Macabi skirts, both regular and slim ones.

While the slim one has less material involved, it's definitely not tight and cannot impede walking for anybody. And to my eyes, it's more of a fashionable piece of clothing :)
Thank for the input, @NavyBlue ! Definitely want to be (slightly) fashionable!

Thanks!
Hi! i can’t help on the sizing. I have put on weight (considerably) but somehow the S size still fits me…
I do wear merino leggings with it though, whenever it is cold. Easy to take off when it warms up.
I only take one Macabi skirt and one pair of trousers (or shorts in Summer).
PS Mine is the normal one, not slim. I can’t imagine either of them being fashionable 😁

@Tassie Kaz - Thanks for your input. I've never been interested in a skort strictly because the shorts never fit me - too tight and loose at once - and the whole thing becomes extremely uncomfortable - rather than really comfortable, which is my whole point in wearing a skirt! Love the idea of the leg warmers! Do you have a brand you like?
I just checked out the website of this mysterious Macabi skirt...I had no idea they were so long! Not sure that would work for me..all that material around my legs... 🤔
Glad you like the idea of leg warmers @Embee12. They can be difficult to source due to being a fashion relic from the 80's (showing my age here... 🤭) so no brand as such. I usually find them in 'cheapie' type shops (don't know the US chain version name) in winter for a few dollars. An incredibly useful travel item so I hope they make a comeback! 😉
👣 🌏

I only wore a macabi -two times when i walked in August from SJPDP to Lorca and the Camino Portuguese from Valença, wore legging under when chilly and bike shorts when warm to avoid rubbing thighs. I am going again this week and taking macabi with heavy woolen leggings in case I get cold as well as a light pair of hiking pants (concerned about rain) I love my skirt! Pockets galore, covers me shouod I need to use facilities outdoors (🙏🏼That doesn't happen!)
@mariposa627 Thanks for the input. So you would not want to wear the skirt in the rain? Have you walked in October, CF? I will wear thigh savers (brand Thigh Society - gotta love that name!) to avoid "chub rub." (Awful phraseology... But accurate!)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I just checked out the website of this mysterious Macabi skirt...I had no idea they were so long! Not sure that would work for me..all that material around my legs... 🤔
Glad you like the idea of leg warmers @Embee12. They can be difficult to source due to being a fashion relic from the 80's (showing my age here... 🤭) so no brand as such. I usually find them in 'cheapie' type shops (don't know the US chain version name) in winter for a few dollars. An incredibly useful travel item so I hope they make a comeback! 😉
👣 🌏
The volume of fabric was why I wanted to know about the slim fit. Even a short will go to my ankles. As for relic of a certain age - when you mentioned leg warmers, my first thought was Jane Fonda's original aerobic workout!

I have written about my Macabi experience here including sizibg tips. I am on Frances right now in Macabi: https://www.caminolife.com/test-macabi-trekking-skirt/

For me the slim one would be too slim for hiking, but to others it might work well. I like being able to take large steps and to sit in Lotus position inside it.

You can see many pictures from these days on Francés here www.Facebook.com/friefodspor . It is freeeeeezing cold these days on the camino (-3 in the morning) and I wear long pants under Macabi. Later on the day long Johns under. In spring and summer - nothing.

Thank you - this is amazing! It's like that who link was made for me! As is your whole website! I hope you're enjoying your camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks, @trecile. I'll look into those leggings. Do you think I would need lightweight or middle weight leggings for October (all month)? I'm very impressed that you make clothes! I had a seamstress/clothesmaker grandmother and great-grandmother from Eastern Europe (came to the States in the 1910's) who never taught me or my mother to sew - I guess cause they thought it was somehow declasse? Boy, do I wish I could sew!
I wore lightweight leggings under my slim Macabi last October on the Frances, and usually slipped the leggings off by 10 or 11 am. The slim provided plenty of room for me to walk. But I’m 5’1” (and I met Marie in Leon!)

Attachments

• BD22942A-B736-4AA8-BE7B-861EB7771305.jpeg
    BD22942A-B736-4AA8-BE7B-861EB7771305.jpeg
    703 KB · Views: 137
I wore lightweight leggings under my slim Macabi last October on the Frances, and usually slipped the leggings off by 10 or 11 am. The slim provided plenty of room for me to walk. But I’m 5’1” (and I met Marie in Leon!)
That's great info, @Becky 59 ! I'm 5'1, too! I have a few more questions, if you don't mind: May I ask what size you wore - I assume it was a "short" length? Did you only wear Macabis? Also, can you tell me more about weather on the CF in October, and how you dressed for it? Thanks again!

That's great info, @Becky 59 ! I'm 5'1, too! I have a few more questions, if you don't mind: May I ask what size you wore - I assume it was a "short" length? Did you only wear Macabis? Also, can you tell me more about weather on the CF in October, and how you dressed for it? Thanks again!
Yes, the short. I used a combo of 1 merino wool T, a long sleeve merino wool top, light fleece, Gortex raincoat for top, and Macabi skirt every day, +/- light leggings, one heavy leggings (wore in evenings), compression knee socks, hat and gloves and a buff. It covered everything from 33 degree am to 60 degree pms.

Yes, the short. I used a combo of 1 merino wool T, a long sleeve merino wool top, light fleece, Gortex raincoat for top, and Macabi skirt every day, +/- light leggings, one heavy leggings (wore in evenings), compression knee socks, hat and gloves and a buff. It covered everything from 33 degree am to 60 degree pms.
What do the compression knee socks do? Thanks.

Thanks!

I have switched from the full Macabi skirts to the slim and find very little difference. Like you I am happy in the shorter length. I did once buy the knee length but don't like it because it looks weird when I fill the pockets (I carry my water bottle in one, and half my pack in the other 😁).

I take 2 Macabi skirts (see Avatar), one to wear, one to wash, with leggings that I wear only if it gets cold. I don't have a thigh rubbing problem. Currently packing!

BECKY!!!! SO nice to find you here. Thought so much about you these days. We are on Camino Francés now, me now in your colour Macabi! Bought it right after I got home. Torben is unfortunately in a lot of pain but we made it 19 km from León to Villar de Manzarife. Thought a lot about your story and I believe it made us stronger today. Sending our warmest camino hugs!!!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Attachments

• 03E7A723-0B67-42EC-94E7-21727FACBA08.jpeg
    03E7A723-0B67-42EC-94E7-21727FACBA08.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 98
You look so nice in the photo! What pack to you use??

You look so nice in the photo! What pack to you use??
Actually it is just a phone. My husband has a Samsung. You can see more Macabi photos taken with his phone here:

Attachments

• 4C3EB1B0-0ED5-4713-8E21-55804F72B922.jpeg
    4C3EB1B0-0ED5-4713-8E21-55804F72B922.jpeg
    218 KB · Views: 99
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
👣 🌏
I just got the knee length Macabi skirt, and liked it when I wearing it for a test hike. Found it very comfortable. Will also bring a set of lightweight wool/silk leggings from Janus.

The volume of fabric was why I wanted to know about the slim fit. Even a short will go to my ankles. As for relic of a certain age - when you mentioned leg warmers, my first thought was Jane Fonda's original aerobic workout!
I have both fits, and I like the slim better. Doesn't make me look so round. BTW I am 5'9"-155 lbs

I have worn the skirt in heavy rain, it dries in 5 min. Magic 😎
I will be walking the northern route September/October and am debating whether or not to take rain pants and bike shorts to wear when it is raining. Otherwise I have two macabi skirts I am taking. Did you find that you didn't need rain pants since the macabi dries so quickly?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I will be walking the northern route September/October and am debating whether or not to take rain pants and bike shorts to wear when it is raining. Otherwise I have two macabi skirts I am taking. Did you find that you didn't need rain pants since the macabi dries so quickly?
I never took rain pants.
Dont’t over pack… If you take anything else (shorts, pants, whatever….) only take one Macabi skirt. You won’t need both 🙂

Last edited:
In a few weeks I will be traveling to the US, which means I can buy a Macabi skirt without paying international shipping, customs and fees, yay! I want to get the knee-length one. Like some others, I am a bit unsure about the sizing. I usually wear a size M, but I definitely don't want the waistband to feel tight. I am not worried about getting it over my hips, but I do have a bit of a belly. Maybe I should just go for the L? For those of you who have a Macabi skirt, have you bought your usual size?

I guess I could also buy both sizes and send one back, but I am there for a short time so it would be nice to having to do that...

As for colors, they have a new off-white color that looks really pretty, but I guess it would get dirty so fast!! I have read about how the skirts are very stain-resistant, but I could imagine myself sitting down in a blueberry patch (lots of blueberries where I live now) and just permanently stain it... So maybe light grey is a better choice.

I could imagine myself sitting down in a blueberry patch (lots of blueberries where I live now) and just permanently stain it... So maybe light grey is a better choice.
Not blue? 😄

We collected blueberries today on our daily walk. They were high bush berries though so our pants are stain free.

In a few weeks I will be traveling to the US, which means I can buy a Macabi skirt without paying international shipping, customs and fees, yay! I want to get the knee-length one. Like some others, I am a bit unsure about the sizing. I usually wear a size M, but I definitely don't want the waistband to feel tight. I am not worried about getting it over my hips, but I do have a bit of a belly. Maybe I should just go for the L? For those of you who have a Macabi skirt, have you bought your usual size?

I guess I could also buy both sizes and send one back, but I am there for a short time so it would be nice to having to do that...

As for colors, they have a new off-white color that looks really pretty, but I guess it would get dirty so fast!! I have read about how the skirts are very stain-resistant, but I could imagine myself sitting down in a blueberry patch (lots of blueberries where I live now) and just permanently stain it... So maybe light grey is a better choice.
I ordered a size 10 (uk) ie small,quite a few years ago when I was still slim. I have since put on weight - quite a lot - 🙄 but it still fits me. If you are a Medium, just order a medium 🙂

I ordered a size 10 (uk) ie small,quite a few years ago when I was still slim. I have since put on weight - quite a lot - 🙄 but it still fits me. If you are a Medium, just order a medium 🙂
Thank you, this is very helpful! :)

That should be the obvious choice, shouldn't it? :D Just not crazy about the blue I see on their website.
A while ago I confessed to having bought a hiking skirt. I did consider purple but thought I should start out more discreet. On my first public hike I encountered a woman wearing one of those from the same manufacturer. It had faded badly. I'm going to stick with the more traditional masculine colors that should hold up better.

I'm the opposite of you - hourglass-shaped so an item that fits my waist may have a hard time getting over my hips. In A-line skirts , I often wear a small; but in pants, I often wear a large to get over my hips, etc., and then have to tailor the waist (or else it was a stretchy waist to begin with). So with the Macabi skirt, I got an M slim - but that was too big. I could draw it in the waist with the drawstring,but it was just too much skirt. I exchanged for an S slim, which fits my waist pretty exactly. However, fitting my waist exactly is a bit closer than I like the feel of, soI pulled out the drawstring, and that has made it almost perfect. (I still do have to shimmy it over my hips to get it on, though. When I was younger, in dismay when trying on clothes I used to say, "It's coz my a** is so big," but now I try to say, "It's coz my waist is so small"!)

A selection of Camino Jewellery

A warning on the knee-length one. I bought one a few years ago and found that it lost one of the main reasons I wear a Macabi - the huge roomy pockets. The knee-length has the same size pockets as the longer ones, but if you fill them (as I do) they pull out from your legs and the whole thing is horrible. So I turfed the knee length and went back to my usual model - the "short" in the long length (see my avatar). With the longer skirt I can put into my pockets a water bottle, mobile phone, wallet, passport, credential, handkerchief, sanitiser gel, mask, lip gloss....and a small sunscreen. The skirt still looks fine. It is fabulous for travelling too - passport and wallet inside the security part of the right pocket, mobile phone in the other, and you are never parted from them, and they can't get lost.

One of my party tricks when I give a talk about the Camino is to wear my Macabi and empty my pockets onto a table - it gets a lot of laughs.

If you are sure you will not use the big pockets, then I'd think about one of the other hiking skirts instead of a Macabi.

I find the Macabi skirts are quite big (in the longer, and I don't recall any issue with the knee-length), so I get my usual size M and still have to pull in the waistband using the drawstring. I get the "slim" and I have no problem getting them on and off.

A warning on the knee-length one. I bought one a few years ago and found that it lost one of the main reasons I wear a Macabi - the huge roomy pockets. The knee-length has the same size pockets as the longer ones, ...

For a knee length skirt with numerous voluminous pockets check out Lightheart Gear's Hiking Skirt with Pockets. I can fit my copy of Brierley in every one of the six pockets with room for more stuff.

The skirt's standard length is 19 inches (about 48/49 cm). Longer lengths can be made but customization is expensive. Photos and videos on the skirt's webpage seem to show a variation in lengths. I think this is due to body differences, not skirt lengths. What appears to be longer lengths on the men is likely due to the skirt being worn on the hips instead of being belted at the waist as seen on the women.

The skirt is available in a number of waist sizes. All have the same size pockets.

For a knee length skirt with numerous voluminous pockets check out Lightheart Gear's Hiking Skirt with Pockets. I can fit my copy of Brierley in every one of the six pockets with room for more stuff.

The skirt's standard length is 19 inches (about 48/49 cm). Longer lengths can be made but customization is expensive. Photos and videos on the skirt's webpage seem to show a variation in lengths. I think this is due to body differences, not skirt lengths. What appears to be longer lengths on the men is likely due to the skirt being worn on the hips instead of being belted at the waist as seen on the women.

The skirt is available in a number of waist sizes. All have the same size pockets.

I think the problem is that with a short, slim skirt, if the pockets get filled then it looks weird. Whereas the fullness of the long Macabi hides the bulging pockets! But I will certainly check these out. Especially if I can buy one locally, or if postage is not the ridiculous amount I pay for anything from the US.

€149,-
Yes, looked, I'm not convinced. I think it has the same problem as the short Macabi; the filled pockets bulge and look unsightly. So I'm back to the Amish look.

Thanks!
I bought a medium in a slim and a regular. The slim is definitely smaller in the waist, not just around the rest of it. So, if your waist is the concern, go with regular. I don't like my clothes tight, so the regular is better for hiking for me. I also do like the spaciousness for making the skirt into pants/shorts when it is really hot, which is has been lately.

I am taking leggings to wear under the skirt if it gets cold. I am not taking any pants. Remember, pack lightly. I've heard one person say she takes only one skirt; that won't work for me. I am taking two and one pair of leggings. A rain jacket--the skirt dries so quickly I figure that will be enough. I might take gators to keep the rain out of my boots though.

I love my macabi skirts and wear them even when not hiking.

One of my party tricks when I give a talk about the Camino is to wear my Macabi and empty my pockets onto a table - it gets a lot of laughs
Yes, looked, I'm not convinced. I think it has the same problem as the short Macabi; the filled pockets bulge and look unsightly. So I'm back to the Amish look.
I have to agree on the bulging. I recently saw a woman wearing the Lightheart skirt carrying more than Mad Max entering Bartertown. It looks better a couple of hours beyond the trailhead than it would entering a pueblo.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I bought a Macabi a few years ago. I wore it camping and hiking a few times. But but was just too long and I kept tripping on it. Also wore it to bushwack around a mountain lake in the rain once and it got soaked brushing against the undergrowth and I froze the rest of the day. It was gifted to someone and now I have a Ripskirt that I wear with tights. Also bought a LL Bean board skort (which come in various lengths) that can double as swimming bottoms for a chunky gal like me.

A warning on the knee-length one. I bought one a few years ago and found that it lost one of the main reasons I wear a Macabi - the huge roomy pockets. The knee-length has the same size pockets as the longer ones, but if you fill them (as I do) they pull out from your legs and the whole thing is horrible. So I turfed the knee length and went back to my usual model - the "short" in the long length (see my avatar). With the longer skirt I can put into my pockets a water bottle, mobile phone, wallet, passport, credential, handkerchief, sanitiser gel, mask, lip gloss....and a small sunscreen. The skirt still looks fine.
Kanga, thanks so much, this is a very important perspective I hadn't considered! I do want the big pockets and to be able to use them... At the same time, I wanted the knee-length because I figured I'd use it more in general... Hm... Difficult decision! Maybe I will have to order both and just deal with the return. (I can picture myself now, loading all sorts of stuff into the pockets to get a good feel for it! :D )

Thanks for the recommendation! I am not a huge fan of the outside pockets, but I really liked the shape!

I bought a Macabi a few years ago. I wore it camping and hiking a few times. But but was just too long and I kept tripping on it. Also wore it to bushwack around a mountain lake in the rain once and it got soaked brushing against the undergrowth and I froze the rest of the day. It was gifted to someone and now I have a Ripskirt that I wear with tights. Also bought a LL Bean board skort (which come in various lengths) that can double as swimming bottoms for a chunky gal like me.
Googling Ripskirt now, thank you! :)

I looked at the Macabi skirt prior to my Camino last year and decided against it due to its weight (340gm/12oz). I picked up a skirt by Purple Rain (https://www.purplerainskirts.com/) over the winter and love it. Lightweight (140g/4.9oz) and comes just above my knees (I'm 172cm/5'8), they do a hiking dress as well, both the dress and skirt has 2 pockets overlapped on each side. I've worn it over leggings (capri or full length) on my local hikes on cooler days.
October will be cool, there were several days in late September that I was very cold in early mornings or in the afternoons after walking, so consider bringing some sort of leg covering and jacket. I also had thin merino glove liners (28g/1oz) for chilly mornings.

A while ago I confessed to having bought a hiking skirt. I did consider purple but thought I should start out more discreet. On my first public hike I encountered a woman wearing one of those from the same manufacturer. It had faded badly. I'm going to stick with the more traditional masculine colors that should hold up better.
That’s interesting. Whilst not ordinarily drawn to cross dressing, having no Scottish antecedents and being born before gender fluidity was decriminalised (I exaggerate) I’m also attracted to anything so immensely practical.

I bought a medium in a slim and a regular. The slim is definitely smaller in the waist, not just around the rest of it. So, if your waist is the concern, go with regular. I don't like my clothes tight, so the regular is better for hiking for me. I also do like the spaciousness for making the skirt into pants/shorts when it is really hot, which is has been lately.

I am taking leggings to wear under the skirt if it gets cold. I am not taking any pants. Remember, pack lightly. I've heard one person say she takes only one skirt; that won't work for me. I am taking two and one pair of leggings. A rain jacket--the skirt dries so quickly I figure that will be enough. I might take gators to keep the rain out of my boots though.

I love my macabi skirts and wear them even when not hiking.
What kind of leggings do you wear? I'm not a leggings wearer; and the ones I've tried on at REI were not comfortable or right.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
For those of you who have a Macabi skirt, have you bought your usual size?
I have both a knee-length and an original. I think they run large (though I went by, and would go again, by their size chart).

I think the original hangs better and you can definitely get more in the pockets (and it looks better that way).

I also have a ripskirt that I love. It runs a little smaller than Macabi. I have one with pockets, which I wish were a bigger. I was going to try one without pockets (and just embrace the waist pack), but it appears they no longer make length 2s without pockets 🙁

I have a couple of hiking skirts I sometimes wear locally and they have attached shorts underneath. I did bring one on the Camino in 2019 and I really liked it; however you can see that I used my waist bag for valuables, etc. as the pockets are minimal.
Screenshot_20220722-133829~2.png

I bought a Macabi a few years ago. I wore it camping and hiking a few times. But but was just too long and I kept tripping on it.

Yes, I agree that they can be just too long, I am an average height at 5feet 5 inches, and the "short" length is right for me. Turning them up at the sides and middle, using the press studs, so they become shorts, is very helpful. I do that occasionally when I'm climbing in the bush over rocks, and always when it is raining, so that it is completely covered by my Altus.

There is a lot to be discovered about the Macabi to get the full benefit of it - even though I've been wearing them for years I only realised the purpose of one loop on my last camino.

I do agree they are not the most stylish attire. If I were younger I'd probably let vanity rein over practicality. and go for one of the A line hiking skirts, without overfilling the pockets. But then I'd have to wear a bum bag and I'm not a fan of that look either!

Out of an abundance of curiosity...I wear a minimum 8-9 inches of compression shorts or compression leggings for pretty much any long walk. The non technical reason is "thigh chub rub". 😮

I'm assuming that this product wouldn't work for me at all. "The chafing, the horror..." 😉. Is there anyone using this skirt that has a way to manage the chafing ?

(Please don't write if you've never experienced thigh chafing. Just rejoice in your good fortune 😉)

Out of an abundance of curiosity...I wear a minimum 8-9 inches of compression shorts or compression leggings for pretty much any long walk. The non technical reason is "thigh chub rub". 😮

I'm assuming that this product wouldn't work for me at all. "The chafing, the horror..." 😉. Is there anyone using this skirt that has a way to manage the chafing ?

(Please don't write if you've never experienced thigh chafing. Just rejoice in your good fortune 😉)
I have worn a regular length Macabi on my last 5 Camino's. They way I handle the rub is I bring a pair of men's boxers (quick dry) - that I wash out and wear every day. During the colder months I bring a pair of merino leggings to wear underneath. I have a total of 8 Macabi skirts - I have decided to sell a few if anyone is interested - colors, Stone, Black, and dark blue! (because I want to get one of the new colors)

I have worn a regular length Macabi on my last 5 Camino's. They way I handle the rub is I bring a pair of men's boxers (quick dry) - that I wash out and wear every day. During the colder months I bring a pair of merino leggings to wear underneath. I have a total of 8 Macabi skirts - I have decided to sell a few if anyone is interested - colors, Stone, Black, and dark blue! (because I want to get one of the new colors)
What size Beth?

The black is regular length, size medium, the blue is also regular length, medium, and the stone color is regular length, large.
I would be very interested in buying the blue medium! Or maybe the stone. Has the color held up well? I will send you a private message!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Folks! I just got an email that Macabi skirts are on sale today one day July 24 for 20% off and an extra 5 if you type in onedayfive at checkout. I have no affiliation but I have two skirts that I like a lot!

Hi Folks! I just got an email that Macabi skirts are on sale today one day July 24 for 20% off and an extra 5 if you type in onedayfive at checkout. I have no affiliation but I have two skirts that I like a lot!

Thanks so much for sharing this, cmjcod! 😍 Really makes a big difference.

Thanks!

I have a regular and slim medium long.
The slim has a hem line that is 5 inches smaller, and a weight that is .2 oz smaller. Other difference is that the waist band on the slim is about 4 inches bigger when lying on the bed.
To be be home I got the slim because they were out of the color I wanted in regular. If the pockets are full I think the regular looks a bit better but otherwise equal.

Please note I got them about 5 years ago so cuts may have changed.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Update: I was able to get a Macabi skirt when I was in the US last week, and I love it! I got the knee length in light grey, and while the color is a bit boring, it works well with the colors that I wear the most. I have used it for the last three days, including walking all over town for errands, biking (then I put some short bike shorts under), going to the beach, hanging out at home, and I find it both comfortable and practical. I appreciate the posters that shared how the knee length doesn't really work for filling the pockets as much as the long ones, so I was prepared for that, but it works perfectly for my phone, head phones, keys, medium sized wallet - but definitely no water bottle. Oh and I spilled some ketchup on it and didn't stain at all, it really seemed almost repellent! I plan to do some actual hiking in it in September, and feel confident it will be good for that too.

Thanks to all who shared their input, much appreciated!

I'm responding to this late. I know the horror. And I refer to it and as, simply, "chub rub." If you're in the know, ya know.

I'm taking a slim short (not knee length) Macabi skirt. I plan on taking light leggings for any chilly times (CF in October), and also a pair of anti-chafing shorts from Thigh Society (www.thighsociety.com) for when I'm not wearing the leggings. These shorts are not compression or shapewear, like Spanx are; the company calls them "foundation wear" - more like underwear that is a long short and which can be worn sans anything beneath them. In regular life, I always wear a pair under skirts and dresses (unless it's winter and I wear leggings), and I never wear shapewear bc I hate the way it feels.

There are different style shorts, and lengths of these anti-chafing shorts. I love "the cooling" ones best - very lightweight, sort of silky, can wash every night, would not provide any warmth whatsover. However, I will probably bring an "original" style. I know it's one more thing to carry, but, like you, I must wear under skirts.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.