• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Macabi skirt - which colour

travellove

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to walk summer 2019
I have been looking at the Macabi skirts and I think I will purchase a long in slim and the knee length version. I was just wondering about the colours and how they are depicted on the website. I also don´t think it´s the best pictures they are using to sell them, but maybe that´s just me.
I´m probably drawn towards the charcoal coloured skirt, but I wonder whether it will look too dark for use in summer/warm weather. I don´t want to look like I´m heading to a funeral when traveling in the tropics (I travel a lot all over the worls.
How light is the stone coloured one in real life if any of you have it? And is the Bark as dark and green as it appear on the website? Which of the two are closest to a khaki colour?

I have seen they have just started a sale today on the short skirts if any are interested

Thanks

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have a stone slim and a black knee length. I think the colours are accurate, check the length on you because I’m 173cm and will buy a short next time the regular is too long - down to my ankles with the potential to be stood on going downstairs. I wouldn’t go charcol for the slim I think it would be too hot and it would look like a nuns dress too! The knee length in black works well because I can dress it up for evening with a nice top.

I have a stone slim and a black knee length. I think the colours are accurate, check the length on you because I’m 173cm and will buy a short next time the regular is too long - down to my ankles with the potential to be stood on going downstairs. I wouldn’t go charcol for the slim I think it would be too hot and it would look like a nuns dress too! The knee length in black works well because I can dress it up for evening with a nice top.

Thanks, I´m pretty tall (180 cm) with very long legs (36 inch inseam), so I think I will get the long. Is the stone greenish or more beige?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The stone is pretty beige - its not really khaki - it has some green in it - pretty neutrall really
P1050555.jpg

I have the charcoal in the slim short length, which is l long on me (62" 157 cm). I like it and don't think it is too hot in the summer, it hides dirt and is neutral with any top. I also have the knee length in black but don't like it. The length is about mid knee on me and feels uncomfortable, also is not flattering. I prefer the Purple Rain skirt in a shorter length, more flattering and comfortable.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have the charcoal in the slim short length, which is l long on me (62" 157 cm). I like it and don't think it is too hot in the summer, it hides dirt and is neutral with any top. I also have the knee length in black but don't like it. The length is about mid knee on me and feels uncomfortable, also is not flattering. I prefer the Purple Rain skirt in a shorter length, more flattering and comfortable.

What makes the knee length skirt not comfortable?

See how I'm sat in the chair - I was faking it for the posh hotel room - but also you do kinda need to keep your knees together because it ends right on the knee. I'd wear the knee length in Europe without hesitation - but in asia I consider it a bit short

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The skirt fabric rubs on the inside of my knee when walking — it’s a lot of fabric just around my knees. If you check out Purple Rain skirt it is very comfortable. Also, I think the full gathering and the knee length together are unflattering. The longer one looks fine.

I second @Lmsundaze on the Purple Rain. Very comfortable, great pockets, only weighs 4oz. and dries quickly.

I have been looking at the Macabi skirts and I think I will purchase a long in slim and the knee length version. I was just wondering about the colours and how they are depicted on the website. I also don´t think it´s the best pictures they are using to sell them, but maybe that´s just me.
I´m probably drawn towards the charcoal coloured skirt, but I wonder whether it will look too dark for use in summer/warm weather. I don´t want to look like I´m heading to a funeral when traveling in the tropics (I travel a lot all over the worls.
How light is the stone coloured one in real life if any of you have it? And is the Bark as dark and green as it appear on the website? Which of the two are closest to a khaki colour?

I have seen they have just started a sale today on the short skirts if any are interested

Thanks
I bought Black and khaki ( bark ) just love them . Both long to cover my legs but can use the straps to make alibaba pants . I have a coloured shirt for the black and biavk shirt for the khaki . Colours are true to picture . I have washed them and they dry really quickly too .

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I think it would be too hot and it would look like a nuns dress too!
are you sure? what does a nun's dress look like?!!!

I think it would be too hot and it would look like a nuns dress too!
are you sure? what does a nun's dress look like?!!!

Ha ha . The skirt is cool - breezes up your tresses - not constructed - in the
Nether regions . Easy to loo etc

Like a nun? Charcoal in slim, short. You decide -- maybe:)

Attachments

• 13094105_10207681922019029_8173646287867101121_n.jpg
    13094105_10207681922019029_8173646287867101121_n.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 91
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Charcoal, long and full. I did clip it up in the shorter setting about 25% of the time, usually on especially hot days. I liked the neutral colour. And I liked creating a breeze on my legs. FYI I am 5’8” for height reference.

Attachments

• 87656BBA-3F45-4828-8698-B1201B9F640D.jpeg
    87656BBA-3F45-4828-8698-B1201B9F640D.jpeg
    969.7 KB · Views: 69
What are the advantages of a Macabi skirt if you already have quick dry skirts? I have two A line ones from the Australian shop Kathmandu in black and grey, and they are just below knee length but have a short drawstring on each side so you can sort of 'ruche' these up to make the skirt a little shorter. I have not really used them and I am just wondering if the Macabi have anything extra or are they just what is available in Europe/US?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
What are the advantages of a Macabi skirt if you already have quick dry skirts? I have two A line ones from the Australian shop Kathmandu in black and grey, and they are just below knee length but have a short drawstring on each side so you can sort of 'ruche' these up to make the skirt a little shorter. I have not really used them and I am just wondering if the Macabi have anything extra or are they just what is available in Europe/US?
Macabi has useable pockets I can carry my iPhone, passport, etc, indeed when my partner was very ill in China and I had nowhere secure to keep bags at the hospital, I carried 2 passports, 2 wallets, several thousand $ of cash and cards, and a phone and battery. I’ve seen the Kathmandu skirts you can’t even fit a passport in their pockets

I don’t know, I only bought a Macabi skirt because I was walking to Jerusalem - wasn’t quite sure which countries I would have to go through at the time....
Trained in it and I felt like a right weirdo in my local park! :D
Turns out I was very glad to have it, even pulled it down to cover my ankles in some parts.... Konya in Turkey comes to mind....
I would never have bought it for walking in Europe but it is very comfortable, has deep pockets, dries in (literally) 5 min after a downpour....
it is NOT flattering but hey, nor is my hat! :D620050F8-9FDE-4095-9A73-B9A0078C0224.jpeg

I don’t know, I only bought a Macabi skirt because I was walking to Jerusalem - wasn’t quite sure which countries I would have to go through at the time....
Trained in it and I felt like a right weirdo in my local park! :D
Turns out I was very glad to have it, even pulled it down to cover my ankles in some parts.... Konya in Turkey comes to mind....
I would never have bought it for walking in Europe but it is very comfortable, has deep pockets, dries in (literally) 5 min after a downpour....
it is NOT flattering but hey, nor is my hat! :DView attachment 46020
I think you look good- your hat too!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Oh and macabi ship worldwide but I use youshop which is cheaper to NZ

Thanks
I wore the darker grey long and the light gray short one

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

I bought two from Kathmandu. Love one. The other is a skort which I don’t like because it has no pockets. I bought a dress with two large pockets at Myer last week and took off the short sleeves and scalloped out the neckline. Really really love it

I love all your comments and in particular pictures. It looks like charcoal is the most common colour.
I like charcoal a lot as well, but I´m worried it will feel too dark in the tropics. I think I would love a colour between stone and bark though.
Please hit me with more pictures :D:D:D

I second @Lmsundaze on the Purple Rain. Very comfortable, great pockets, only weighs 4oz. and dries quickly.
Purple Rain is great! The Macabi is too full for a short person like me. I feel as if I am wearing a balloon. The Purple rain is very lightweight as mentioned has 4 pockets and does indeed dry very quickly.

Thanks

I really like these skirts. I have a lovely one in the original style in red which I wear often in the summer down the beach. I wore the slim in a knee length in my Portuguese camino and found for my stride, it was just a teensy bit narrow- fine for normal wear but irritating when around 3 hours into the walking day. I liked the blue colour though, it went with most things. When this thread discusses the ‘purple rain’ , I presume it’s the original style ( it seems there are only 3...) but the purple colour. The new colour teal looks very nice too. For my money though I reckon the charcoal is the best. I am investigating the ‘ripstop’ skirts too as they look very light and great for walking a camino, have a google. Buen Camino!!

I really like these skirts. I have a lovely one in the original style in red which I wear often in the summer down the beach. I wore the slim in a knee length in my Portuguese camino and found for my stride, it was just a teensy bit narrow- fine for normal wear but irritating when around 3 hours into the walking day. I liked the blue colour though, it went with most things. When this thread discusses the ‘purple rain’ , I presume it’s the original style ( it seems there are only 3...) but the purple colour. The new colour teal looks very nice too. For my money though I reckon the charcoal is the best. I am investigating the ‘ripstop’ skirts too as they look very light and great for walking a camino, have a google. Buen Camino!!

Hi Marina! No, the purple rain referred to is (I think!) this http://www.purplerainskirts.com/
My favourite is still the ‘normal’ Macabi in black. :cool: I also have a charcoal one but I don’t like it as much.
Love the look of the Purple rain but a bit short for me, I have to step over many stiles when walking in the UK and I’m not sure how I would manage wearing these.... (Although someone once did say it was no problem ...). Ok. :D And the Macabi length protects against brambles and nettles and such...
Ps just looked at the ‘ripstop’ skirts and yes they are nice. Again, too short for me though. I just wear shorts, when I want ‘short’, if that makes any sense....:)

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Marina! No, the purple rain referred to is (I think!) this http://www.purplerainskirts.com/
My favourite is still the ‘normal’ Macabi in black. :cool: I also have a charcoal one but I don’t like it as much.
Love the look of the Purple rain but a bit short for me, I have to step over many stiles when walking in the UK and I’m not sure how I would manage wearing these.... (Although someone once did say it was no problem ...). Ok. :D And the Macabi length protects against brambles and nettles and such...
Ps just looked at the ‘ripstop’ skirts and yes they are nice. Again, too short for me though. I just wear shorts, when I want ‘short’, if that makes any sense....:)

Thanks Domigee! I really liked those skirts, particularly the purple. I get what you say about being short though, and protecting those ‘pegs’, but being a bit vertically challenged myself perhaps they may be ok on me... The Rip stop group had one long ( mid calf) length skirt which I thought looked nice in a black and white batik print , but I wondered if it might be a bit clingy. This year I used a stretchy icebreaker wool tube like skirt which I wore over leggings which was fantastic... so I guess if ‘it ain’t broke...’. I just love the process of planning for the next camino! Those big macabi’s Also make doing a ‘little’ stop just that bit easier!
X

Thanks
The narrow cut is best, even on medium-large women. Colour is your choice. I wear the lighter colour skirts all the time and the dark stay in my closet. The red snd sand colours are not quite as depicted. Love the dkirts!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I know this is an old thread, but I've seen a couple comments about dirt discoloration for the brighter colors, and was wondering if that lasts after washing? I'm vacillating between the teal and maroon colors--although my pack is eggplant/aubergine color, so the maroon might be too much? 😅

@shazade, I have a red and a midnight blue Macabi (both long) and never had any problems.That Maroon is a gorgeous color. Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I would bother about colour coordinating your pack - I have black and khaki and the colours are fine. But the darker colours are hotter to wear

Next question, is it harder to walk in the narrow cut? I have a fairly long stride..

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back