• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Macabi skirt

katie@camino

Time of past OR future Camino
CF, SJPDP-Finisterre 2016;CP (Central) Porto-SdC 2017;CP (Coastal) Porto-SdC 2018;CF Leon-SdC 2019
Hi all,

I am an Australian living in UAE.

I am looking to procure a Macabi skirt or two - one knee length (for Camino), one full length (for more local travel). I have looked online at the Macabi website in USA and the delivery cost is prohibitive. Does anyone know of a retailer/distributor closer to home (Australia and/or UAE)?

I was meant to have 2 lots of family come and visit in April/May and they could have brought it over from Australia but that's unlikely to happen anymore. Also my friends, who I'm meant to be walking the Camino with in July, were going to be stopping over here on the way over but obviously can't assume that's going to go ahead anymore (although keeping fingers and toes crossed).

Oh and anyone who would like to tell me why the Macabi skirt is amazing or not, and/or has in vitro photos of it, and/or can advise how they avoid chafing, please share!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Katie I wear a Macabi hiking skirt. For me the best things about them are the huge pockets, one of which has a clever security inner zip pocket with the zip upside down. The zip has to be pulled up to open - almost impossible for that to be done by a thief. Into those pockets I can fit my wallet, my iphone, my passport, credential, lip gloss, sunburn cream, small water bottle..... I amuse my friends occasionally by emptying the pockets onto a table - it's rather like those magicians that pull and pull a long scarf out of a sleeve.

I tried the knee length skirts but found that does not work for me because the shape gets too distorted when the pockets are full.

The other thing I like is the ability to have "a technical stop" without having to get undressed. I thought I might have a problem with chaffing and bought these long boxer style undies, but now don't bother as chaffing has not been a problem for me.

I agree with you about the horrible freight costs but I wait until the skirts are on sale, which compensates.

(edited to add) - I order the slimline in the short (but not the knee length). I find the normal or the long are too long for my height (165cm), and I prefer the slimline which is not quite as full in the skirt.

Last edited:
I wore a Macabi skirt most days on my Camino journey Sept/Oct 2018. It was wonderful. I never had chafing problems, but others have used long boxer shorts or even two "buff" neckwarmers (one around each thigh) to prevent problems. I used the "slim" style in the regular length, rather than the knee length, which I think defeats the purpose of the skirt (unless you are very short). I put all my important stuff into the pockets, and would fold it up and put it inside my sleeping bag at night. en route to Roncesvalles.jpg

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I wear Macabi skirts for all the reasons Kanga stated. I wear ‘boy cut’ underwear or leggings under (if it’s cold). This trip I took two but in the future will only take one because they never hold dirt, even mud brushes off when dry, and it dries in an hour when you do wash it. I think one is enough for the entire trip.

Also, I sew my money belt into the inside of the waistband. You can find instructions on my blog if you’re curious.

Love my Macabi’s! 💕

I wore a Macabi skirt most days on my Camino journey Sept/Oct 2018. It was wonderful. I never had chafing problems, but others have used long boxer shorts or even two "buff" neckwarmers (one around each thigh) to prevent problems. I used the "slim" style in the regular length, rather than the knee length, which I think defeats the purpose of the skirt (unless you are very short). I put all my important stuff into the pockets, and would fold it up and put it inside my sleeping bag at night. View attachment 70990
hey truthseeker, thanks for the photo - skirt looks great! ingenious idea to use the buffs for chafing! i also really like the idea of putting your things inside the pocket of the skirt over night - very secure. The reason I would go for the shorter skirt is I hate material flapping around below my knees, even pants, I think it's a sensory thing.

Katie I wear a Macabi hiking skirt. For me the best things about them are the huge pockets, one of which has a clever security inner zip pocket with the zip upside down. The zip has to be pulled up to open - almost impossible for that to be done by a thief. Into those pockets I can fit my wallet, my iphone, my passport, credential, lip gloss, sunburn cream, small water bottle..... I amuse my friends occasionally by emptying the pockets onto a table - it's rather like those magicians that pull and pull a long scarf out of a sleeve.

I tried the knee length skirts but found that does not work for me because the shape gets too distorted when the pockets are full.

The other thing I like is the ability to have "a technical stop" without having to get undressed. I thought I might have a problem with chaffing and bought these long boxer style undies, but now don't bother as chaffing has not been a problem for me.

I agree with you about the horrible freight costs but I wait until the skirts are on sale, which compensates.

(edited to add) - I order the slimline in the short (but not the knee length). I find the normal or the long are too long for my height (165cm), and I prefer the slimline which is not quite as full in the skirt.
thanks for this @Kanga as always a very informative reply. Being from Australia, how did you first get into macabi skirts? And if you put all those things in your skirt pockets, what do you put in the front pockets of your Aarnpack?!

the boxers you link to - how do you find them regarding their speed of drying and weight?

that's good advice about the length. I'm 168cms so not much different. would you happen to have a picture of you wearing the skirt so I can check length?

I'll keep an eye out for sales, thankyou!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I wear Macabi skirts for all the reasons Kanga stated. I wear ‘boy cut’ underwear or leggings under (if it’s cold). This trip I took two but in the future will only take one because they never hold dirt, even mud brushes off when dry, and it dries in an hour when you do wash it. I think one is enough for the entire trip.

Also, I sew my money belt into the inside of the waistband. You can find instructions on my blog if you’re curious.

Love my Macabi’s! 💕
thanks @Anniesantiago - love the idea of only taking the one bottom item for walking. i saw pictures on your blog and found a snap of you in the red skirt - looks great! so impressed you went with the bright red - i'm leaning that way myself!

Ditto to all the reasons above. Mine is the long version and I wear tights or leggings underneath for the chilly mornings or evenings. Easy to take off layers as the day warms up, or put them back on as it gets cooler. Plus, I always feel a bit more appropriately dressed when going into churches. Great for plane travel, too. All your important stuff in your pockets, and no wrinkles when you arrive.

Love my Macabi skirts for several reasons - as Bala above - put leggings on if chilly, love the deep zippered pocket for carrying a portion of my daily spending money, love how quickly it dries, love that it is cool in the heat with air flow. Having said all that - a funny story. Got to chatting over several days with some Irish fellas as we ran into each other here and there. After a bit and obviously feeling comfortable enough to ask a slightly personal question - they rather timidly asked me if I was a nun. Had a good laugh at that one!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I
Love my Macabi skirts for several reasons - as Bala above - put leggings on if chilly, love the deep zippered pocket for carrying a portion of my daily spending money, love how quickly it dries, love that it is cool in the heat with air flow. Having said all that - a funny story. Got to chatting over several days with some Irish fellas as we ran into each other here and there. After a bit and obviously feeling comfortable enough to ask a slightly personal question - they rather timidly asked me if I was a nun. Had a good laugh at that one!
I was asked that, too. Also, traveling solo, I met people who remarked "oh, you're the one with the skirt", which gave me the opportunity to talk about its many advantages! I only met one other woman in a Macabi skirt on my walk.

I took the web and found the skirts which are very nice also a video of a RelaxsBag, never seen anything like it before.

€83,-
I have a blue Macabi Skirt that someone can have. It's lighter blue than the one Macabi has on their website now because it's OLDER. The waist stretches 28"-38" and is 35" long. Tag says Long S. It has a minor waist adjustment but no obvious flaws otherwise. Shortening strap is included; all snaps and zipper work fine. Wrinkles are because it's been packed away since winter. Just pay postage. No charge for the skirt. 1595611359233.png

Attachments

• 1595610596421.png
    1595610596421.png
    1,005 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
I have a blue Macabi Skirt that someone can have. It's lighter blue than the one Macabi has on their website now because it's OLDER. The waist stretches 28"-38" and is 35" long. Tag says Long S. It has a minor waist adjustment but no obvious flaws otherwise. Shortening strap is included; all snaps and zipper work fine. Wrinkles are because it's been packed away since winter. Just pay postage. No charge for the skirt. View attachment 79340
That's so generous you, I hope it is able to go on many more Camino's with it's new Pilgrim!

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back