• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Macabis 30% on Friday Nov. 25th, 2016

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The email seems to have miscalculated, the reduced price quoted for the knee-length ones is 20% off, not 30%, so it will be about $6 cheaper! Unfortunately for me though the cost of postage is higher than the price of the skirt so once again I will have to give it a miss.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I want to like these so much. But If I wear one for hiking then I have to wear a pair of spandex shorts underneath. That would make me too hot in 60F something degree weather and would add an additional piece of clothing to my pack. I don't see the benefit of these over convertible pants which I like very much and can easily make into shorts. It's what I've been wearing for backpacking for the last 25 years. Am I missing something? I like the running skirts from a different manufacturer. Those are above the knee and come with built in shorts.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I want to like these so much. But If I wear one for hiking then I have to wear a pair of spandex shorts underneath. That would make me too hot in 60F something degree weather and would add an additional piece of clothing to my pack. I don't see the benefit of these over convertible pants which I like very much and can easily make into shorts. It's what I've been wearing for backpacking for the last 25 years. Am I missing something? I like the running skirts from a different manufacturer. Those are above the knee and come with built in shorts.
I am thinking exercise and running/exercise skirt when we go. Like you I would have to have Lycra shorts/capris underneath to feel comfortable. I haven't used convertible pants and not game too as I think where they zipp off would be an issue for large thighs.

@alaskadiver -
Am I missing something?

No, not really, if you are happy with your zip-offs, then all is good. However the reason why so many love walking in a skirt is that it allows freedom of movement, is airier than trousers, needs less washing and can be combined with light or warm tights under if you need them (plus it is easier to wee without baring all). The reason I prefer them is that I have had chafing issues with trousers, especially when they get damp from rain or sweat or when they haven't dried properly overnight. With a skirt I wear wicking and cooling running tights underneath, and these can be changed and washed separately from the skirt, whereas a skort or trousers are either dirty or clean, either damp or dry. On cold days I wear merino tights under, on warm days cut-off nylon pantyhose which prevent chafing, weigh nothing and are easy to replace. And let's not forget the pockets ... they are huuuge and very practical, and the drawstring in the elasticated waist means it adapts as you shrink (if walking far/long enough). I have walked exclusively in skirts for a few years now and love it. My other skirts are shorter, tighter, with a clean profile and smaller pockets, but I have ordered the knee-length Macabi on this offer and look forward to trying it on a long hike!

Why Spandex/lycra? IceBreaker makes some in merino wool, they also are made in silk.

One thing the skirt can do that the pants don't, and it's my favourite aspect of this skirt, other than perhpas its pockets, is that you can put it on while still damp from a shower without a struggle.

And yes, zippoff legs are an issue because of the extra zipper weight, possible chaffing on the zipper line, and what do you do when a zipper breaks?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Why Spandex/lycra? IceBreaker makes some in merino wool, they also are made in silk.

One thing the skirt can do that the pants don't, and it's my favourite aspect of this skirt, other than perhpas its pockets, is that you can put it on while still damp from a shower without a struggle.

And yes, zippoff legs are an issue because of the extra zipper weight, possible chaffing on the zipper line, and what do you do when a zipper breaks?

In 25 years of backpacking I've never had a zipper break. On quality pants they are actually pretty well made. Never had a zipper chafing issue personally. The weight of the zipper is nothing. I think the skirt is not an option for me. The addition of shorts is just to hot for walking. I thought maybe I was missing something, but I guess not. I really like how the skirt is designed but it just doesn't seem like something I need. I'm getting better about buying stuff that looks cool but then I never use :)

This thread has been edited to remove an aggressive, argumentative exchange. Please, can we keep to the spirit of the forum ('helping pilgrims") and stay away from power struggles?

OK -- Yesterday I received in the mail the new knee length Macabi skirt and wore it on my hike today. I like it! It would never pass for a fashion item, but I felt less conspicuous walking to the ocean hear than in the long skirts. Same pockets, same convenience. It is as narrow as it could be to still have enough range of motion for long strides. I am 5'3" and it was almost to the bottom of my knees. I think it could possibly be a little shorter, and it would be easy to shorten, on the other had I probably won't. I'm thinking next camino it will be just the thing.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@lmsundaze I also took the plunge - and just in time too, because they ran out of the colour I ordered shortly after. Look forward to trying it and am glad to hear that the skirt is reasonably narrow.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back