• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

macarons

Elndim

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuges 2018 (Frances 2019)
Hi. Tell me where in Saint-Jean you can eat French macaroons ?

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
What in the world is "French Macaroni?" Do you mean macaroons? Those are coconut cookies and usually available at most confectionery shops and bakeries.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
[QUOTE = "Camino Chrissy, публикация: 779783, член: 67313"]
Рик, това е много сериозна тема ... не е не сериозната нишка! 😉
[/ Цитат]
👌😂

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
This from Wikipedia: "A macaron or French macaroon is a sweet meringue-based confection made with egg white, icing sugar, granulated sugar, almond powder or ground almond, and food coloring. There is some variation in whether the term macaron or macaroon is used, and the related coconut macaroon is often confused with the macaron."

I hope someone can answer the OP's question about where to find them in St. Jean.

1567097387750.png

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
La Fabrique De Macarons
5.0 (1) · Shopping Centre
23 Rue d'Espagne
Closed ⋅ Opens 10AM Fri

La Fabrique de Macarons
4.8 (6) · Food manufacturer
25 Rue de la Citadelle
Closed ⋅ Opens 10AM Fri

Artizarra
4.9 (23) · £ · Pastries
Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port, France
Closed ⋅ Opens 8AM Fri
public_googblue_24dp.png
Their website mentions macarons

etc etc, lots more.

Davey

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Im looking for those

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190829_202650.jpg
    Screenshot_20190829_202650.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 0
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I've never tried these as I'm not so fond of meringue. Maybe I should. But there are so many other wonderful posibilities that I haven't gotten around to it.

They're not really a "traditional" meringue, although they do use egg whites. . . they use almond flour for the body of the cookie. :) And they are light enough that you might have room to include one with your other chosen treats :)

Last edited by a moderator:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Yes, sometimes it is recommended to read through the whole thread to avoid double posts.
My apologies Sabine. I ended up visiting this thread again starting at post #1 and noticed your post with the link this time around. I thought I had read them all. You definitely beat out me and the other two in the post cluster pointing out La Fabrique de Macarons.

I was expecting @Kathar1na to be the first with a link.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
OK, so now I want to try them. Next time...I see them in European airports, too, at those fancy dancy shops for gourmet chocolate and have always wondered about the appeal.

OK, so now I want to try them. Next time...I see them in European airports, too, at those fancy dancy shops for gourmet chocolate and have always wondered about the appeal.
They’re traditionally only ever eaten in round dozens, like oysters. *

Don't buy them in airports. They barely last a couple of days from baking to be in top condition.

* not really

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Haha. Ok, right.
And fresh it is.

The thought would never cross my mind in a million years, without your help. Now there it is.
Gee, thanks, K1.:p;);)
Yep, I think some might choke on "him" ;)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
So. Back on topic. ;) ;) ;)
Macrons.
Now I'm quite curious. It's the almond that hooks me, because there's nothing better.
Anyone have a favorite?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If you turn right out of the Pilgrims Office, in a couple minutes you will find a tiny shop on your right side. I was drawn in a couple weeks ago by the amazing aroma while they were baking them!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I know, Rick, where is she, anyway!...I'm sure she submits helpful info and updates to Wikipedia all the time! I think she is gathering info on Macaroons at this very moment! 😊
Ah, you don’t know her that well then 🙃. She doesn’t contribute to Wikipedia and she isn’t interested in macarons (the pastel coloured sticky things) but she wouldn’t say no to a coconut macaroon or two or three and yes, please, I’ll have another one.

And although I’m magically drawn to every patisserie window in France and I walked up and down that rue in SJPP several times, I have no recollection of a macarons shop there. I do remember, however, the piece of gâteau basque (Basque cake) I had elsewhere in SJPP. Macarons would be just too Parisian in that setting for me. :cool:

Last edited:
Ah, you don’t know her that well then 🙃. She doesn’t contribute to Wikipedia and she isn’t interested in macarons (the pastel coloured sticky things) but she wouldn’t say no to a coconut macaroon or two or three and yes, please, I’ll have another one.

And although I’m magically drawn to every patisserie window in France and I walked up and down that rue in SJPP several times, I have no recollection of a macarons shop there. I do remember, however, the piece of gâteau basque (Basque cake) I had elsewhere in SJPP. Macarons would be just too Parisian in that setting for me. :cool:
I'm with you...I'm a macarooon gal!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
As a nice Jewish boy who is not a big macaroon guy, next time you go to Brooklyn ask about a good Jewish bakery and you can find yourself some awesome ones.

This from Wikipedia: "A macaron or French macaroon is a sweet meringue-based confection made with egg white, icing sugar, granulated sugar, almond powder or ground almond, and food coloring. There is some variation in whether the term macaron or macaroon is used, and the related coconut macaroon is often confused with the macaron."

I hope someone can answer the OP's question about where to find them in St. Jean.

View attachment 64102
A macaron is not a macaroon, although the words are sometimes used interchangeably. A macaron is a delightful french concoction that will practically melt in your mouth! Two air-light cookies with a light creamy center. Think Oreo times 1M.

A macaron is not a macaroon, although the words are sometimes used interchangeably.
That's as far as the usage in English goes. However, it appears that in French a macaron can be a kind of biscuit that doesn't look like an English "French macaroon" if you get my drift ... and in particular not at La Fabrique de Macarons in Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port. Because when I look at the photos on their website, at the offer in their online shop and at an article in the local press about them, there is not a single pastel coloured double biscuit with cream between the two halves in sight.

So has anyone actually had the latter from this shop in SJPP? The Artizarra bakery and tea-room mentioned earlier has them on offer, however. They call them macarons colorés aux multiples parfums although I'm sure they will also understand "this one, please". ☺

Fabrique Macarons.jpg

Last edited:
Oh my gosh, another type of macaron? I guess I'll have to try them all. A few years ago I was in Lyon at an amazing market and the macarons were indeed those pastel concoctions. It was like that throughout the Loire valley. I wonder if it's a regional thing? Like, my macron is not your macaron?

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Oh my gosh, another type of macaron? I guess I'll have to try them all. A few years ago I was in Lyon at an amazing market and the macarons were indeed those pastel concoctions. It was like that throughout the Loire valley. I wonder if it's a regional thing? Like, my macron is not your macaron?
That's as far as the usage in English goes. However, it appears that in French a macaron can be a kind of biscuit that doesn't look like an English "French macaroon" if you get my drift ... and in particular not at La Fabrique de Macarons in Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port. Because when I look at the photos on their website, at the offer in their online shop and at an article in the local press about them, there is not a single pastel coloured double biscuit with cream between the two halves in sight.

So has anyone actually had the latter from this shop in SJPP? The Artizarra bakery and tea-room mentioned earlier has them on offer, however. They call them macarons colorés aux multiples parfums although I'm sure they will also understand "this one, please". ☺

View attachment 64164
Look what I found! macaron.jpg

Look what I found!
The French version of the Wikipedia article on macarons has a bit more: In the Basque country, the macaron made its appearance in Saint-Jean-de-Luz upon the initiative of a pastry maker, Mr Adam, who offered them to Louis XIV for his wedding in 1660. Since then, the descendants of Mr Adam have upheld the tradition, also in Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port and in Louhoussa with the Biscuiterie Basque.

Louis XIV is known as the Sun King. Turns out that he got married in a church in Saint-Jean-de Luz (near Biarritz) and not in Versailles as one might assume. I know the name of his wife as Maria-Theresa of Austria (it's her usual name in German, French and Spanish) but in English she is known as Maria-Theresa of Spain. She was a Habsburg and they were pretty much European, anyway ☺. And Louis' official royal title was "Louis XIV, by the Grace of God, King of France and of Navarre". So much we don't know about our common history in these days of Brexit and other things ...

In the French Wikipedia article, the other macarons, the colourful ones, are referred to as "macarons of Paris". I think it was only in our 21st century that they started to multiply at an incredible rate with the aim to conquer the world. 🙃

Last edited:
Saint-Jean-de Luz (near Biarritz) is also very nice seaside town on the Via de Bayona.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have bought macarons in British Columbia, Canada. First prize for presentation goes to SuperStore in Prince George where I spotted them in a freezer case with a multi-coloured variety, packaged individually in tiny boxes with a cellophane window, with the macaron set on an angle and displayed in the manner of a small treasure from the House of Fabergé in Imperial Russia instead of being mass-produced by a French patisserie in Toronto. Surprisingly these macarons were quite lovely at the shockingly low price of $1 CAD each. I’ve also eaten them in France, and I’ve chosen from a dazzling array of colourful flavours at a bistro in Vancouver that were created by its French owner. All were a lovely treat!

What in the world is "French Macaroni?" Do you mean macaroons? Those are coconut cookies and usually available at most confectionery shops and bakeries.
Nope, a macaron is not a macaroon. They aren’t coconut at all. They come in all sorts of flavors / colors. A good French patisserie should have macarons ...but probably not macaroons

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Quite fascinating, actually, to learn about these cookies, where they come from, how they migrated and how they branched out and changed their looks and taste. I liked this quote from a short history about their existence in France: Something strikes me as I contemplate the remarkable diversity of the French macaron and its centuries-long history: only one version has won global recognition as the “default”– and it’s the most recent one. The pleasingly symmetrical pastries that have become a staple of the global luxury industry are a Parisian invention of the 19th century. The macarons that won the race are gleaming, efficiently marketed products of modernity and globalization. They’ve effectively crowded out traditional predecessors.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Nope, a macaron is not a macaroon. They aren’t coconut at all. They come in all sorts of flavors / colors. A good French patisserie should have macarons ...but probably not macaroons
Nope. When you are in France and speak French then both of the cookies shown below are macarons. This has been discussed in detail in this thread. When you are in another country and/or speak another language, then this word may even include a third variety that looks completely different and contains coconut instead of almond. Or even hazelnut, depending on the region. And again, depending on the cultural background, this food is regarded as a luxury treat, a bite to eat with your coffee or tea, a kind of food that has its purpose because it doesn't contain wheat flour and leavening, or a traditional Christmas cookie.

1567325094938.png

Last edited:
The macarons that won the race are gleaming, efficiently marketed products of modernity and globalization. They’ve effectively crowded out traditional predecessors.
Ah, and it's the latter that would be most interesting to eat.
St-Emilion, Amiens, or St-Jean-de-Luz seem to be the places to go.

What a pity. Before walking the Baztanes in 2017, several of us walked from Irun to St Jean de Luz...if only we had known...

SO. If you're walking the Via de Bayona, or are headed for the Norte down the coast of France, this looks like a place that is worth checking out. The website is mouth-watering.
Macarons aside, it's also a lovely town. And there are quick commuter bus or train connections to Bayonne and Biarritz. So if you're headed for SJPP and have a bit of time on your hands....here is a delicious possibility.

Attachments

• May 17 (19) - Copy.JPG
    May 17 (19) - Copy.JPG
    175.4 KB · Views: 3

€83,-

€60,-
You see this? http://prntscr.com/p0jj2l
On the left?
No, it does not look like your http thingy. But how cute...yours says "I'm not perfect, but I'm always myself". Maybe I don't see the same thing because I only use my android, not a computer.

EDIT...Yes, I do see it now when I scroll down further! It's just formatted differently in my phone. 😁

You see what I wrote there.

The thing is why would someone (@Mycroft ) wanted to be as perfect as a person (@KinkyOne ) that declares himself "not perfect"?
It's a matter of semantics and logic and a few other things but in short - where is the margin for being perfect? I think only at 100%. And if I'm not perfect as self-declared, then I'm less than 100% perfect. In other words I'm imperfect. So why would anyone wanted to be as imperfect as I am??? :D :D :D

A selection of Camino Jewellery
And if I'm not perfect as self-declared, then I'm less than 100% perfect. In other words I'm imperfect. So why would anyone wanted to be as imperfect as I am??? :D :D :D
If a person is willing to and capable of aknowledging, accepting and admitting his/her imperfections, it’s perfect!

If a person is willing to and capable of aknowledging, accepting and admitting his/her imperfections, it’s perfect!
Noooooo, please, don't do this to me, erase your post, pleeeeease. In one simple sentence you completely destroyed my whole theory :D ;)

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back